1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

[​IMG]

Ubiquitin likes this.
  2. bigben69

bigben69 Member

I can't think of any real reason except selfishness that someone wouldn't wear a mask at this point. Don't have to wear it driving or at home. Not that big of a deal. The excuses you get just hurt your head to listen to. Of course specific medical conditions but they should be at home anyway. It wont stop it but can at least slow it down. We will never get back to normal with people refusing to wear one for the protection of others. Worst case, you're uncomfortable. Best case, you protect others. It blows my mind that people can just say it won't protect me. It's not about you.

Amel, B-Bob, Nook and 11 others like this.
  3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Very well said!

Ubiquitin likes this.
  4. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

**** it’s disturbing that the President of the United States wrote that. What’s the angle for him? You don’t have to shut the economy down again to turn the numbers around. But ignoring it completely is essentially criminal.

buffalobills!!! and No Worries like this.
  5. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Don’t agree with that. Everyone said open with caution and the masses threw caution into the wind.

and Good Lord just read that trump tweet. Better to just put your head back in the sand and continue to pretend like this isn’t happening.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  6. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

No they actually help protect other people from you.

Nook likes this.
  7. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Man, can't believe he called it the ChinaVirus. I know this isn't the DandD, but wow. What a boob. He knows he has no chance and he's mailing it in.

Nook likes this.
  8. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

the ‘debate’ against something as common sense as wearing a mask is just sad. But it’s a pretty perfect symbol of just how damn ignorant a significant portion of the country has become against even the most basic things that require some degree of empathy and selflessness

Amel, Nook, buffalobills!!! and 2 others like this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

not everyone said open with caution. There were plenty of people who said don't open at all and just stay home. In the very beginning it was don't wear a mask if you're not on the frontlines. Now its wear a mask. Then you had all of these politicians that went out an encouraged tens of thousands of people to protest all around the world, including 70K right here in houston. As a result covid basically didn't exist for 2 weeks. There's been so much misinformation and back and forth's in the last few months. It's a mess all around.

arkoe, NotInMyHouse and cheke64 like this.
  10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I was being sarcastic. That's another common thing people say.

Blake likes this.
  11. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Yes... people are stupid, but Fauchi starting out by lying and saying we didn't need masks and then saying we did but he was protecting supply chains for hospitals and first repsonders did not help. Politicians and bureaucrats need to learn to tell the truth. There is nothing wrong with asking the public to sacrifice during a crisis. Our country is better when we are brought together fighting a cause. Instead their back and forth BS just caused more strife in this country. Lay it out, tell us the truth, tell us what we can do, and get out of the way. We could have had every damn person with a sewing machine makine non-medical masks in this country to save the N95, etc for first repsonders. It could have been a positive movement and bring about some solidarity. Instead, we have this nightmare....

12. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

5,996 new cases today. I'm going out...with a flamethrower.

B-Bob and Kim like this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

Approximately 2.5 million Americans die each year.

So far we have at a minimum 125,000 dead Americans after 3 months of COVID.

We are now at a minimum looking at 250,000 Americans dead this year from COVID and if it gets bad, we could be looking at really large numbers.

However, lets just go with ONLY 250,000 dead from COVID this year....... when the normal death rate for the USA is 2.5 million a year....... that is a 10% increase in death rate in a single year!

That is huge..... and further, if you look at the actual deaths this year compared to previous years, you will see COVID is being under reported so the increase in death percentage is even higher than 10%.

I hear people say "if you are healthy!"......... being healthy does not prevent you from being a carrier.

Young people can be asymptomatic carriers and give it older people or people that have pre-existing conditions.

There are over 70,000,000 obese Americans.

There are over 50,000,000 Americans over the age of 65.

Over 25,000,000 Americans suffer from an auto-immune disease.

The reality is that the USA has a lot of people that are in the risk categories.

I keep hearing from libertarians and some Republicans that "as long as you are young and healthy it is okay" when that really is not the case at all. Healthy people can and will pass it on to those that are more at risk and we could see an enormous death rate.

No Worries, SamFisher, Kim and 3 others like this.
  14. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Do you realize you are throwing out random numbers with no correlation?
    Of those 250k COVID deaths, how many were going to die anyways?
    How many deaths will be saved indirect (other contagious disease, travel, random crime, ect)
    How many deaths will increase indirectly (domestic violence, suicide, not following up on early warning signs of diseases, increased sedentary long term ect..)

These statistics can not be predicted. What we can do is discuss the pro's and con's of the plethora of options. Blaming peoples opinions gets you absolutely nowhere. If you're not willing to discuss the shitty lifestyles of Americans and their libertarian 'rights' to eat crap food day and not exercise, im not too concerned about this topic. There is no right answer and we should stop pretending there is one.

buffalobills!!! likes this.
  15. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

I understand a lot of the outrage related to this, but we can't just focus on the "red states" and talk about how dumb it was to reopen. (not talking about you necessarily, more so the media)

Because there are other states that have been closed much more tightly than we are/were and they're seeing WORSE spikes than us. (California for instance, just set records a couple of days in a row for number of cases in a day). I think in general, we're just dealing with an absolute BEAST of a virus, and there's nothing any politician can do to stop a spread, whether they lean to the left or the right.

We as the people need to follow the guidelines, stay home as much as possible, and help as much as we can...

16. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

The reason why America is most affected right now is because people “got rights” and don’t want to put a simple piece of cloth ove their face...

Smh. If I were president , I would make it a law to require face masks... but too many people gonna say that it’s agains t the constitution and blah blah blah...

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

A friend just IM'ed me that someone's husband with cancer apparently is getting denied for some kind of surgery because of this.

I watch CNBC a lot and former FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb is on there a lot. I love the guy because it never seems it's about politics with him -- he's just about the data and the medicine. He's been sounding the alarm about Texas and Florida getting serious about needing to contain this for a few weeks now. He said something that had me laughing and crying at the same time today. It went along the lines of : "so, effectively in Texas, right now you can get hair replacement surgery but not hip replacement surgery". He always says stuff with no emotion, which made it even more hilariously sad.

Obviously, it's idiotic that haircuts and booze are available, but not surgeries. I mean, I get why, but ... wow -- crazy times.

#8377 Dr of Dunk, Jun 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    Ziggy, Amiga and B-Bob like this.
  18. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

lol.. cause it kinda is? Look, I’m not disagreeing with you, but this country was founded on the right to be free “per se”. At least that’s what the history books tell us.

There are to many dumbass people in this world that think they are invincible. Hell my boss, the president of our company, is right up that ally. Can’t remember yesterday, much less keep his story straight in any given topic. Went from the “China Virus is a fluke scam” to “paranoid schizophrenic and had a cough and had to get tested”.

This is the world we live in.

Ziggy likes this.
  19. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

Yup.. not saying we should give up our rights, but I mean, it’s 2020, can’t we pass a law that has a timeframe or something idk.

20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I was just wondering today where we are seeing the infections come from and I stumbled on this.