1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Any idea where you got it from? Have you been going out more? Are you a health care worker? Etc. Hope you guys get better soon

Ziggy likes this.
  2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sorry to hear that you've been hit by it and hoping for the best for your recovery. I just shared a message a friend had posted who has been dealing with it for 14 weeks now including respiratory complications and blood clots. This disease is nothing to be messed around with and hoping for the best for you and your family.

Harrisment, malakas and MadMax like this.
  3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

We went to dinner a couple of times. I go to the office. I go to the store...dry cleaners. My doctor said I was gonna drive myself crazy trying to figure it out. He said it's super contagious, and it could have been anywhere.

4. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I got tested last week, the nasal swab test not the antibody test, and came up negative. I've been having a lot of exposure from volunteering doing medical for protests and other efforts in the wake of George Floyd's death. I'm still concerned about getting it and Max Max's story doesn't make me feel better.

I might see if I can get the antibody test to see if I had it early on either asymptomatically or very mildly.

conquistador#11 and Andre0087 like this.
  5. MadMax

Yeah, I read that...scary stuff. I am counting blessings that we seem to have had it easier than many. I'm not all that convinced about the fact I'm actually building immunity to this thing though...speaking to my doctor, that is still completely up in the air.

Ziggy and malakas like this.
  6. malakas

malakas Member

The harder one gets it, the more immune he will be and for longer.
    If you had it and were completely asymptomatic dont feel safe. Its extremely likely that your immunity will only last you a few months and thats on a small viral load.

7. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

Well this is hitting closer to home than I'd like.

My brother-in-law just told us that he's feeling symptoms. He got tested, but no test results yet. He has been going to bars ever since they opened and even went to 2-step lessons at the bar (why the f does the bar still hold group dance lessons?!). He found out this past Friday that the dance instructor had tested positive.

We had a small family gathering for the first time in months 8 days ago after he was exposed to the dance teacher and he wasn't taking any precautions at all. My wife and I still wore our masks and ate separately from the family. If I had known he was still going to bars, I wouldn't have been okay with getting together at all.

Now that he's symptomatic, but saying that he probably got infected during testing because he wasn't feeling any symptoms at all before being tested. (insert eye roll here).

My wife is getting tested on Wednesday as part of a healthcare worker surveillance program. I'll go get tested if BIL's test result comes back positive.

Pringles likes this.
  8. MadMax

Where are you reading this? I've had conversations with my doctor about this since I was diagnosed. There have been cases where people have gotten well..tested negative..and weeks later get it again. I'd love to believe I have some real immunity to this thing after being sick with it all last week.

Ziggy and snowconeman22 like this.
  9. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Too many people speaking in certainty when there has been little conclusive data on anything.

The only conclusive data is that if you stay away from everyone, youre drastically less likely to get it.

arkoe, TexasTofu, Pringles and 3 others like this.
  10. Major

Major Member

For what it's worth, the big study of that was a cluster in South Korea. But they ultimately came out and said it was a result of faulty testing - that the tests were reporting dead virus: https://www.newsweek.com/south-kore...ted-positive-because-dead-virus-parts-1500998

In other cases, it seems there were instances where the virus never really died off the first time, so the "re-infection" was really just a continuation of the original one.

With millions of cases worldwide, it seems like if people were getting this multiple times, there'd be some pretty clear evidence of that by now - like in Northern Italy or NYC where you had huge clusters early on, you'd think you'd see some of those people returning with a new infection. It also seems like hotspots would flare up repeatedly instead of dying down like we've seen. We don't know how long immunity lasts, but it does seem like there is pretty solid evidence of some level of immunity?

MadMax likes this.
  11. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

relatives that work in plants in the area (primarily Dow) have told me that a lot of places are going back to tightening back up and scheduling like they were back when this started.

it is not on by default. and it is not enabled tracking. it's adding the function to the system so that if you do download and install an app to do tracking you can control it.

It's like adding the 'heart rate' function for apps. If you don't have the ability in the system any apps you download to use it won't work.

jchu14 likes this.
  12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Got a link... to anything?

RustyHarden likes this.
  13. MadMax

Man, I sure hope so.

14. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Covid tracing is fine.

Its not enabled for YOU to receive alerts or notify other people. If your bluetooth radio is emitting radiation, regardless if its on or off, Google and Apple are tracking. And not just for 14 days. This is just another vector of tracking the government has allowed these companies to violate our privacy.

But it doesnt matter. Nobody cares.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Can you elaborate on the "neurological issues"?

16. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I would have to ask her. From what I've heard though is strange dreams and remember her mentioning she was having very strange dreams.

Ziggy likes this.
  17. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Hang in there, Max and family

My sister is getting tested today and my best friend went to a chiropractor 3x last week and just got a call saying the chiro just tested positive.

MadMax, Ottomaton and conquistador#11 like this.
  18. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I'm staying home like someone with agoraphobia. I have a couple broken ribs which makes me more susceptible to pneumonia. The idea of broken ribs with a nasty cough? Hard pass....

Unfortunately some members of my family are idiots. My brother, his wife, and 2 kids are going about their business as if nothing is happening. Going to brunch on Father's Day with other people, hosting multiple families at our lakehouse, going to stores for things that can easily be ordered online, etc, etc. Well, now one of his kids may have been in contact with someone infected, and if they do have it the amount of people they were around the last week or so is going to be hard to trace. Unbelievable how selfish people can be.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  19. AWIN

AWIN Member

Hang in there folks, my brother married a nerd so sis n law and all her friends are front line health care; apparently Texas Children's has expanded their covid unit and are starting to take adult patients as the other adult hospitals are at capacity.

Can anyone else confirm if this is true at their hospital?

conquistador#11 likes this.
  20. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member