1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

It can also be another way. The younger people (or anyone) without “pre existing” conditions will very rarely die from it. They will develop immunity. The virus will have fewer active hosts to spread to and its ability to spread will be blunted.

The older people seem to be properly isolating but now we are noticing they are dying of other conditions in excess numbers. The delayed CDC data has that total somewhere around 50k with most of those occurring during the strictest periods of isolation.

It’s a tricky balance. We can’t just simply isolate and expect no excess deaths to occur. I’m not calling you out or anything but just kind of thinking out loud.

Astrodome likes this.
  2. Major

Major Member

Sure - this was the Swedish theory that even many members of their government are now starting to say was misguided, especially when compared to their neighbors. Besides, that doesn't solve the hospitalization problem, and we've seen in Italy, NY and other places that when hospitals hit capacity, that's when everything goes to hell.

Agreed - I'm not suggesting we all lockdown forever. But we're not even taking basic common sense precautions like masks or social distancing when out and about. That's where the stupidity comes into play.

Nook, SamFisher, R0ckets03 and 3 others like this.
  3. malakas

malakas Member

Here is the link from the New England Journal of Medicine:
    https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2020283

At locus 3p21.31, the association signal spanned the genes SLC6A20, LZTFL1, CCR9, FYCO1, CXCR6 and XCR1.

Also a new preprint study with 118 participants has found a significant correlation with baldness and covid mortality.

B-Bob and FrontRunner like this.
  4. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

Thanks, I appreciate that. It's going to take me a while to decipher our results and compare them, but I'll let you know. Hopefully those genes don't let me down!

malakas likes this.
  5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Wait, what's this about baldness? Corona makes you go bald? I'm going into my bunker if so.

Andre0087, conquistador#11 and Kim like this.
  6. shorerider

shorerider Member

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

What's your guess on how many will be infected and how many will die with this herd immunity approach?

9. malakas

malakas Member

No. It says that who is bald has more chance to get severely ill and/or die.

But I dont put much importance to this yet. Only preprint, very small sample and considering that most ICU patients and victims are old men isnt it expected to find a correlation with baldness since most old men are bald in the first place?

NotInMyHouse likes this.
  10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

The numbers are skewed. It’s not that bald men are sicker, it’s that they can’t get treated at the hospital.

Last time they were there, they forgot toupee...

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was talking to my dad in HK this morning for Father's Day. HK has less than 10 deaths from COVID-19 out of a population of 7million. Also most stores and restaurants are open again in HK and there has been large protests again. He said that HK borders are still effectively closed which is preventing new infected people from coming in and also HK people from traveling and bringing infections back in. He said the biggest factor is that HK people are all wearing masks when they go out.

As a side note the Judo Dojo that I trained at when I went to HK in December has been back up and running for weeks.

Nook, conquistador#11 and tinman like this.
  12. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Not surprising. HK knows about masks. It’s ridiculous how simple and effective mask use is. The fact that we can‘t get a requirement that you at least wear one inside a business is stupid. I stopped in Bucees yesterday on the way to Galveston and there was 1 person with a mask. Wasn’t surprised.

13. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Except for the one small detail that we don’t know yet...that once you catch it you have future immunity. Hoping this is the case

robbie380 and tinman like this.
  14. malakas

malakas Member

Here in Greece we have had less than 200 deaths in 10 millions and everything has reopened for 1 and a half month except cinemas, concert and clubs.
    People dont even bother to wear masks anymire except when taking public transportation.
    What worked is
    1) public awareness at the beginning of the wave
    2) early lockdown measures starting from the end of February
    3)Closing of the borders and international flights

Unlike with HK where people had personal experience going through the first SARS here like america noone has had to live through a pandemic.
    But the government spent 11 million euros in a media campaign,living no stone unturned, using all forms of legal propaganda possible including digging graves for "preparation" until even the most idiot citizen shat their pants and stayed in their house.

Now we can live our lives almost normally.
    Sure the second wave is in the making and will come in a few months but at least it saved thousands of lives. And we can hope than by september a few more drugs will have been found.

15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

We also do not know how long the immunity lasts. IIRC the immunity for most corona common cold viruses is less than a year. Likewise, we have not developed a vaccine for the common cold. The worst case scenario is that people can catch CV-19 again and again, without an efficacious vaccine being developed.

Big $$$ is being thrown at CV-19, so one can be hopeful for a vaccine and a treatment. We will see.

tinman likes this.
  16. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

More great news. Only 267 Covid deaths today in the US. Lowest number since March 22nd.

US daily deaths continue their sharp and consistent trend of decline that’s been happening since late April.

17. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I really wish you would stop posting irreverent data. We only care about the number of people who contract it.

18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’m sharing this from a friend in her 30’s who contracted the disease and has been dealing with it. This is why even though young people are very likely to survive it this disease is no joke and we have no real understanding of long term complications from it.

“I’m on my 14th week after first getting covid19 and recovery has been longer than I thought. Three months after getting the virus being “better” looks like having breathing issues and chest pain after walking, neurological issues, fatigue etc. I used to be an avid surfer and runner, and now I carry two inhalers and listen to doctors telling me about blood clots in my intestines or whatever it is that week. It’s scary since we are the first people to have this so doctors are learning as we go. Opening up here with hopes of raising a little awareness on the long term effects of this virus as our nation opens up. Be well friends ”

Rashmon, Nook, Ziggy and 3 others like this.
  19. PhiSlammaJamma

Agree that the most important data is the increasing number of people contracting due to the long term complications. When people don't listen to the doctors, there's no helping them.

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I started coughing on Friday night, June 12. Saturday I felt fine...cough some, but not much. At about 4 pm on Saturday, it hit me like a train. I had fever, aches, chills and felt awful. I was tested on Sunday...I found out Tuesday, June 16, that I was positive for COVID. The first few days sucked for me, but I feel better now. I lost the sense of taste and smell entirely, and that was insanely weird. My taste is beginning to come back...I still can't even smell shampoo if I put it on my hands and put it right by my nose. Very strange.

My wife and younger son (15) both got it. She still has a fever...he got over it in a few days.

I don't recommend it. I didn't have it as bad as many do...no shortness of breath...but I felt awful.

Rashmon, Nook, pahiyas and 10 others like this.