1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

It’s wayyyyy more than a handful that don’t have access and the school can provide laptops but not internet access, electricity to use your laptop, etc. 75% of HISD is economically disadvantaged.

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Anyone enable COVID19 tracking on their phones?

Jontro likes this.
  3. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

I had mine done through another company, but my wife had hers tested at Ancestry. If you can tell me what to look for that would be awesome.

malakas likes this.
  4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It’s available? Android ? iOS?

5. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

6. PhiSlammaJamma

Come with me, if you want to live.

Think it will sort of work in direct combination with testing and medical databases. However, yep, that is risky. Even to the point where if you are labeled "red" then one is going to be like Voldemort. People will run from you and facial recognition won't let you go anywhere. But that is the point.

Think I agree with concept. But if you do know where the covid has been, then it's going either be a real wakeup call, or people will get numb to covid being everywhere. So super scare, or irrelevance may result. Don't really know. But it's better than nothing me think

[​IMG]

#8166 PhiSlammaJamma, Jun 19, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
  7. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I bet. Getting dranks = crowded and close breathing.

8. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

What a tough situation for bars. Paraphrasing: "the only people going out to spend money on us are the ones who don't want to be inconvenienced by wearing masks."

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

If you are wondering why deaths are continuing to drop while infections have more or less been stable over the past month.

Roscoe Arbuckle likes this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

Nah, I'm wondering if I should keep taking hydroxychloroqine

11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

So many possible factors.. just to name a few below that I believe all played a factor

- NY area was overwhelmed and thus cfr was higher
    - Number of infected severely undercounted early on (Feb, March, some of April) and thus # of infection has actually been flatten quite a bit (especially in the NY area).
    - New infection skewed younger relative to Feb-April
    - better treatment

12. PhiSlammaJamma

Hard to say, but I think Ockham ( drawing of him seen below ) probably is the answer. Simple logic. We treat it better. This thing just kicked our ass until we were forced to recognize it, adapt, and confront it. We've seen the enemy now.

[​IMG]

13. PhiSlammaJamma

Galileo Galilei lampooned the misuse of Occam's razor in his Dialogue. The principle is represented in the dialogue by Simplicio. The telling point that Galileo presented ironically was that if one really wanted to start from a small number of entities, one could always consider the letters of the alphabet as the fundamental entities, since one could construct the whole of human knowledge out of them.

malakas likes this.
  14. PhiSlammaJamma

Lesser known razors, lol.
    • Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.[2]
    • Hitchens' razor: "What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence."
    • Hume's guillotine: What ought to be cannot be deduced from what is. "If the cause, assigned for any effect, be not sufficient to produce it, we must either reject that cause, or add to it such qualities as will give it a just proportion to the effect."[3][4]
    • Newton's flaming laser sword: If something cannot be settled by experiment or observation, then it is not worthy of debate.[5]
    • Sagan standard: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
    • Popper's falsifiability principle: For a theory to be considered scientific, it must be falsifiable.

15. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

It was forced pushed with no permissions to all IOS. I haven't came across any Android without one.
    For Android, go to settings, Google settings

For iPhone (I might have this wrong) settings, privacy, health

Many have not been happy to see this unexpectedly show up on their phone without being notified.

Amiga likes this.
  16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I think it’s all the factors

- we do know that the cases were severely undercounted because lack of test and ppe. NY area specifically only tested the most sick and vulnerable
    - we have early data that the medium age of infected dropped significantly this past few weeks (related to above as well)
    - I have seen no data (I have not seek them out) of early treatment or an overwhelmed system in NY area leading to higher cfr - those are my assumptions

My razor: less number of cases and less infection among the most vulnerable :)

17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I see it on my iPhone now... it is OFF so that must have been the default

need a tracker app installed first before it can be turned on. Likely default to on once you install the app.

[​IMG]

No Worries and PhiSlammaJamma like this.
  18. Major

Major Member

This seems obvious to me. We see it in Florida where the average age of infection is in the 30's now instead of in the 60's. Older people and those with pre-existing conditions realize how bad this is and they are doing a better isolating themselves. Younger, dumber people aren't and they are now getting infected more but not dying. Over time, they will keep spreading it and filling up hospitals, and eventually likely get a bunch of 65+ year olds killed when infection rates climb and those people can't avoid infected people anymore.

Rashmon and Nook like this.
  19. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

20. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

This is never going to be over. I need some weed.