1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. HTM

HTM Member

It seems like life is returning to a pre-lockdown state (not totally) but nothing has changed with regards to the disease and our ability to fight it. As I sit here now on June 17, 2020 I don't know that anything is different with regards to the Covid-19 compared to March 17, 2020. Our attitude about it has changed it seems though.

ryan_98 likes this.
  2. Sajan

Sajan Member

My attitude has changed a little bit.
    I started going back to the gym and ate out at a restaurant.

3. conquistador#11

I want my ballsports wear a freaking mask!
    I know priorities.

4. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The natural outcome of decades of maligning civics education and expert opinion, "learning" through social media and an attitude that "personal liberty" means "I can do whatever I want regardless of the consequences."

Nook, RayRay10, ryan_98 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I think you have little choice. Countries that have been successful at containment aren't going to give up on it. And there are plenty of them. They still allow some travel into their countries, but they will subject you to the standard 14 days quarantine. The economy is wrecked however you want to handle it. The choice point isn't so much the economy - it's lives. It's a false choice to think you can have a recovered economy within the context of a global economy. Even within the US states, you may not lock down, but if and when death starts to pile up (200k, 300k, 400k, 500k, ...), people will naturally retreat and lock themselves down - spending goes down, economy 'wrecking' continue. Yes, it does suck. But we can do much better.

RayRay10 and ryan_98 like this.
  6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

With alot of testing and a vigorous contact tracing regime like what Taiwan has I think it can be contained. The problem for the the US is it's too late for that as the virus is so widespread and we still don't really have a good idea of how many people actually have that.

I've been saying for a month now that we've pretty much lost on containment and I don't see anything that changes that. It's now up to if our medical system can keep up and hope for treatment, cure or herd immunity.

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm just hearing a story out of a bar in Detroit that customers were getting rude and aggressive at staff when asked to wear a mask. Also that some customers were trying to get around the plastic screen set up at the bar such as sticking their head around it while not wearing a mask.

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. Major

Major Member

Without vaccine, I don't think it really can be contained unless its eradicated, which seems really unlikely. Several countries have massively cut it - but largely by shutting down their economies and closing their borders. Eventually, Brazilians and Americans are going to go to Europe, and once a few hundred people get infected there again, it seems like the whole cycle would restart. Economies can't really function with constant startups and shutdowns.

I think the real key is whether we can figure out a way to live with it. In large part, we can hope that it mutates into something less deadly, which seems like may be happening already and makes sense from an evolutionary standpoint. And then if we can add drugs that make the worst-case less-bad, then maybe it really does eventually become a really-bad-flu type disease.

9. Juxtaposed Jolt

This has always baffled me. It's not like it's your home, where you can enforce your own rules. You're on private property and the bar owners have every right to try and enforce rules to protect its employees and other patrons.

If you don't like the rules, go buy beer and wings from the grocery store and consume them at home.

RayRay10, ryan_98 and Ziggy like this.
  10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Taiwan never locked down like the US did. They have contained it to less than 500 cases and 100 death.

we are hoping and wishing for a break.. but we could do something and not just hope and wish, but we aren’t. That’s what I don’t like and do not understand. In the busn world, it’s very irresponsible to just hope and wish.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

It starts up top. Not being political here. Just quoting the most powerful person in the world.

[​IMG]

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Taiwan pretty much had a mask wearing culture because of all the pollution. When I was 20 years ago, people were all wearing masks on their scooters.

13. Juxtaposed Jolt

iirc, Taiwan may not have 'locked down' in the sense that everyone has to stay their butt at home for X days or anything like that, but they were extremely quick to act when they heard about China having this mysterious 'virus'/'bug,' back in 12/19 or 1/20. Quick to lock down borders, quick to quarantine incoming people. On top of all that, many in the population were also quick to listen to the Taiwanese government about this. Taiwan's version of Fauci was a beacon of light. Here, many consider Fauci to be an unwelcome distraction. Also, Covid-19 (and how to combat it) was never a political issue there, as it was here in the US.

To use a sports analogy: People in the US didn't take the opposing team seriously until the second half started. By then, it was seemingly an insurmountable lead. Some still don't take it seriously.

14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

People have gotten bored with it so they decided it's over. The average American isn't gonna make any effort to slow this down.

Frankly I'm not sure what we could do at this point, the protests are literally the only concern for a lot of the country, and the right never gave a f**k to begin with. We made our half assed effort and now we let it run it's course, if they die, they die.

Our people are capable of amazing things, but they are equally infuriating in their stupidity.

RayRay10 and ryan_98 like this.
  15. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Im okay with that. Its the fact that they can spread it to people being safe and taking precautions while they die is my concern.

16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

There's absolutely nothing the responsible ones can do, they are grossly outnumbered. Responsible or not were all stuck in this petri dish together. I don't like it either, but its the reality of our situation.

I just wish we had some plan for the elderly because this thing runs through them like wet paper.

Nook, RayRay10 and Ziggy like this.
  17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I know this isn't a death competition, but we need to remember that heart disease and obesity related diseases kill FAR more every year. These are major underlying conditions relating to severity of covid infection and death from covid.

I'm not trying to distract from covid because it is very deadly to elderly and those that are generally in poor health. My point is that if we took better care of ourselves then these covid deaths would drop SIGNIFICANTLY as well as the other issues that can be controlled.

Long video, but if you don't feel like watching there is a study that shows about a 15% reduction in severe covid cases if you eliminate vitamin D deficiency. Starts around the 23:30 mark. He has other videos that get into other risk factors when they are controlled and not controlled.

18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Yes they were very much on top of it. They believe in their government and their leaders. They have competence leaders.

To further that analogy, our coach threw in the white flag in a game where there shouldn’t even be a white flag.

Ps I work with Taiwanese folks on a regular basis and have been there plenty of times. Back in Jan I was expecting them to take the early blunt of this. I’m amaze at how well they have handled this.

19. hooroo

hooroo Member

different culture. they don't have people intentionally coughing when you walk past them because you make the effort to maintain social distancing. so many covidiots crying about the "scamdemic".