1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

New Metrics: Adjusted Shooting

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by larsv8, Jun 3, 2020.

1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

https://www.sports-reference.com/blog/2020/06/adjusted-shooting-stats-added-to-basketball-reference/

I am still trying to figure out how to interpret this.

TheRealAllpro and francis 4 prez like this.
  2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

smoothie, D-rock and RayRay10 like this.
  3. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i just saw this today and thought it was really cool. have to see how valuable it is or isn't. i didn't notice the points added part so that's nice.

4. Steve_Francis_rules

You should all definitely check out Harden's adjusted free throw rate relative to media darling Giannis. It's not even in the same ballpark.

D-rock likes this.
  5. oelman44

oelman44 Member

"So 125 doesn't mean a player was 25 percentage points above average, but 25 percent above average"

:confused:

But I do like this. Anybody familiar w/ wRC+ or similar baseball metrics can appreciate the simplicity/interpretability of stats on scales of 100 (where 100 = league average)

6. oelman44

oelman44 Member

That's interesting. Source/where to find this?

7. Steve_Francis_rules

It's one of the new bball reference adjusted shooting stats. And I must have misread it before, because I went back to look and it seems Harden and Gianni's are just about the same this year, although Gianni's was quite a bit higher than Harden the previous season.

8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

There's a curve and diminishing returns as science, nutrition and exercise gets refined. I don't imagine that athletes 50 years from now will be on another level like athletes now are on a different level from athletes 50 years ago. And there are always standouts like Babe Ruth or Michael Jordan.