1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Real Rocket Fans Only: Maxwell or Yao?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BossHogg713, Apr 21, 2020.

?

Which #11 should have been retired?

1. Vernon Maxwell

28.1%
  2. Yao Ming

45.8%
  3. Both

26.0%
  1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Yes, Yao was more skilled. Maxwell was far more athletic. If Yao was equally athletic as Max, he probably would have won a ring too. I like them both.

2. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Didnt Yao Ming had his own theme song in the earliest of years. Many might not remember! Lol!

It had a little ring to it with trumpet serenade!

3. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

I love both of them but this is a no brainer for me.

Yao was special, and if it wasn't for those darn injuries to McLady/Yao in their primes, we very well could have one or two more championships to be reminiscing about right now! Don't get me wrong, MadMax was tough as nails and was a key role player in our championships, but he was never in Yao's level. I have fond memories of both playing for our Rockets!!

It's hard not to retire a players number if he only played for your team and went into the Hall of Fame!!:cool:

D-rock and Easy like this.
  4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

This a pretty dumb question that doesnt really deserve a vote or a real response. For the people who voted for Max, yall arent real Rockets fans. That or you dont know how to read or didnt read the poll right.

Scola Scoops likes this.
  5. riko

riko Member

Love max and his incredible shooting series against the suns in that epic comeback but Yao was a legit super star that was cut down with injuries.Yao Ming all the way. I might be wrong and our Chinese friends can correct me but Ming Yao I think is the right right order from memory

D-rock and Scola Scoops like this.
  6. Scola Scoops

Scola Scoops Member

Not sure how this is even a question. Love Max but hey it's Yao.

7. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I don't think you can really compare the two. How many 7'6" guys would you consider "athletic".

saleem likes this.
  8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I know you're right. It was just a pseudo-hypothetical comment.

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Max wins for who's still supporting the Rockets
    After he came back for the reunion, he forgave himself for what he did and he's back to Mad Max

I mean I some of you suckers won't forgive him, but he's the most important person in this because he bears the guilt .
    And I'm glad he's back.

And always sticking up for Clutch City, especially on social media.

Yao loses since he hasn't said a damn thing after Morey just tweeted something he should never feel guilty about.

D-rock and BossHogg713 like this.
  10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Max was Max is Max and I am enjoying the latter day reinvented version of the old Max. He's lore.

Yao mute re: DM the GM? My addition sez 2 + 2 = Yao is unable to respond due to his position, situation. He may even agree, who knows? I don't and I cannot hold his feet to the fire (ouch, terrible usage) as his society is worlds apart from ours (EATPWIWTS). Yao demonstrated uncommon goodness as a human being and commitment as a competitor; his HoF acceptance speech reaching out to Houston was special.

Yao remains the big winner in any comparison. And does not denigrate V 'MM' M.

11. tinman

Supporting Member

what would happen to Yao if he said something ? maybe congratulate his old coach Rudy T for making the hall of fame?

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I assume he is on a public 'lockdown'; and, perhaps, he has communicated w/either Rudy T HoFer and/or DM the GM? I am certainly not in the 'know' but I do trust Yao to do the right thing. And I accept that the right thing right now might not be the right thing for me.

I do not suppose there are many in the States who are feeling positive for the (Mainland) Chinese these days and I am not one of the regime's supporters. I refuse to lay waste to anyone Chinese because of that, What was it Stevie Franchise said speaking of Yao, and I'll paraphrase and likely poorly, he's just like you and me except he's 7'5" tall and Chinese. Yes, the people there are like the people here, people. Gummints? I don't find many I like, or have liked, in my long career of antigummintismedness.

donkeypunch likes this.
  13. buzz1701

buzz1701 Contributing Member

OK about Mc Grady...big upgrade over Steve Francis

14. TilmanFinancialWindfall

Bobby Sura or Jim Peterson?

Larry Smith or Carl Eat At Laundry?

Nashville Chicken or Popeye Chicken?

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Popeye hands down.

BamBam likes this.
  16. 13BeardsIN1

13BeardsIN1 Member

Why not both? Retire Maxwell’s Jersey in the ketchup and mustard and Retire Yao’s in the red and white. Hakeems number should only be the untouchable

17. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

You should do these by position not by jersey number.

18. tinman

Supporting Member

If Yao doesn’t say anything for say years then newer rockets fans will disassociate him from the team . It happens quickly . Tmac talks everyday on a tv show, whatever he says will be seen by media loving fans as what really happened.
    Steve has popped up in the spotlight , but for the wrong reasons.

19. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Yao Ming did most of the talking as owner for Shanghai sharks!

Chimmy chow chow of the china club, the china china china club lol

#39 smoothie_king, Apr 22, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
  20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

OK, true. Yet being a talking head may offer recency but real Rox fans will/should know the truth.

tinman likes this.