1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden Ferocious Fast Break Dunk vs Spurs! And It Counted!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shaq2Yao, Dec 16, 2019.

1. Bo6

Bo6 Member

he does but one is a "gather". lebron and giannis do this egregiously every game.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

huh? not by your photo.

both feet are off the ground, there.
    zero step is when a foot is on the floor.

clutchdabear and D-rock like this.
  3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Hmmm. This is the official new wording:

https://official.nba.com/rule-no-10-violations-and-penalties/

A player who gathers the ball while progressing may take (1) two steps in coming to a stop, passing or shooting the ball, or (2) if he has not yet dribbled, one step prior to releasing the ball. A player who gathers the ball while dribbling may take two steps in coming to a stop, passing, or shooting the ball.
    1. The first step occurs when a foot, or both feet, touch the floor after gaining control of the ball.
    2. The second step occurs after the first step when the other foot touches the floor, or both feet touch the floor simultaneously.
    3. A player who comes to a stop on step one when both feet are on the floor or touch the floor simultaneously may pivot using either foot as his pivot. If he jumps with both feet he must release the ball before either foot touches the floor.
    4. A player who lands with one foot first may only pivot using that foot.
    5. A progressing player who jumps off one foot on the first step may land with both feet simultaneously for the second step. In this situation, the player may not pivot with either foot and if one or both feet leave the floor the ball must be released before either returns to the floor.

Do you mean that if a player gathers the ball in mid-air then he's allowed to land and that doesn't count as a first step?

#23 durvasa, Dec 17, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
    LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  4. heypartner

gotcha.

it all reads the same to me from previous times.

So, let's also keep an eye on how many times a foul on a high-speed, mid-air gather with one hand is allowed continuation. I'm thinking all of them will be called foul on the floor, no FTs, "Harden hasn't gathered the ball, yet."

sigh

#24 heypartner, Dec 17, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  5. SS0101

SS0101 Member

How savage would it be of the NBA to go back and take those points away because of a travel that should have been whistled and then reward the Spurs with the W. That would be some amazing drama and I would almost appreciate it (the ballsy-ness of it)...almost.

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Move over, Rusty Hardin!

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Rockets won by 2 so that would be Fred, Ben, and Randy Savage all at once man.

8. 34to11

34to11 Member

Because many of the "fans" here are completely broken.

D-rock likes this.
  9. nemac

nemac Member

I think that could also easily have come down as another dribble, meaning that he doesn't have full control of the ball yet which I think generally happens or is most easily perceived by the refs as the moment when both hands grab it. In this case that happens at the same time as he plants his foot which is the gather. How much less fun would watching NBA be if they were leaning more toward calling these as travels?

Bit of a tangent but Arenas made a point on that Lebron carry that there is no point calling that because he didn't get an unfair advantage, it's not like the defender was pressuring him, he just day-dreamed for a sec or whatever. So what do we all get with a call there? Just more stoppage. Not saying I wouldn't call it, just that I get the subjectivity of the officiating at times because how horrible would it be if an AI called everything by the book 100% of the time and nothing escaped it?

10. durvasa

I understand, and that's why I said it's borderline. By a strict reading of the rules, you could say it's a travel because it appears he had gained control of the ball right before his final three steps. But the NBA is so lax in enforcing carrying violations in recent decades that they let this sort of play go more often than not.

11. heypartner

Do you think players should ever get continuation if fouled at the point in your photo?

#31 heypartner, Dec 18, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
  12. durvasa

The NBA should enforce their own rules, or at the very least be consistent in its enforcement. If they're going to allow the possible carry, before the ball is secured with both hands, to precede the player's final 3 steps, then yes they should also permit continuation in that scenario. I don't think they should allow more freedom on a continuation call than the player would otherwise get, though.