1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Should we fire Bill O'Brien?

1. Yes

76.0%
  2. No

15.9%
  3. Abstain (for the moment)

8.2%
  1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

And then the very next sentence (emphasis mine).......:
    So... for those counting at home - 2 wins during an 8-4 campaign, which is following an 11-5 campaign = knee jerk reaction. But four unrelated postseason games, spread out over three seasons, with three different starting QBs (two of which were NOT Deshaun Watson) - that's is a fair representation of BO'B.

Everybody clear?...

BO'B is now 50-42 as a head coach. He just clinched his fifth non-losing season in six years and will likely make it his fifth winning season - and fourth postseason appearance - in six years. I don't think he's a great coach - though he's starting to rediscover some of the greatness he sparked in '14 and '15 - but can we at least move beyond the idea that he's sub-mediocre? Mediocre? OK... I'd push for average but, sure. But you don't win 19 of 28 regular season games if you're sub-mediocre.

raining threes, Rudyc281 and pgabriel like this.
  2. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Just get a real OC in here not Tim Kelly maybe promote Carl smith or something.

And the same with the DC maybe Romeo can go back to assistant head coach and hire a DC who will at least bring some kind of pressure.

3. Hey Now!

Why are we firing coaches when the team is on pace to win 11 games back-to-back?.............

BigShasta and No Worries like this.
  4. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

To improve even more why would you be content?

Don’t tell me you your ok going into next season with 85 yr old Romeo crennel still calling zone defense with the DBs back 20 yards from the receivers when it’s 3rd and 10 .

And don’t tell me your ok going into next season with the same play calling it’s getting better but can still improve and hopefully we can start games faster.

5. Hey Now!

Yeah, sure - let's always seek improvement... But they're not going to fire their offensive and defensive coordinators in the aftermath of B2B 11-win seasons.........

BigShasta and Rudyc281 like this.
  6. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Maybe so but doing so will help O’Brien focus on other aspects if he has coordinators he can trust. I’m sure he trust Romeo but kelly not so much.

7. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

U apparently dont know what knee jerk reaction mean.
    There are people on here telling others to switch their vote after beating Patriots and Chiefs, like did u guys literally choose to block out the fking beating vs the Ravens like just weeks ago?

Regular season results means jack sht to me, if his playoff record is so woeful at 1-3. AFC south titles mean very little if we cant even get far in the playoffs. I dont care who he had with him during playoffs, but hes still 1-3 and thats unacceptable.

U use his overall record: "BO'B is now 50-42 as a head coach. He just clinched his fifth non-losing season in six years and will likely make it his fifth winning season" as a sign that hes okay in your book, what wrong with me pulling up his playoff record which SPANS the same years he got these "winning" seasons.

BoB had yet to prove anything in playoffs, hence y there's literally no point to switch ones vote due to 2 great wins during regular season.

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Only 50-42 in a crappy division , 1 playoff win (only because Derek carr was hurt) despite a top 10 defense and now all this talent on offense (which he was able to get only by mortgaging the future)

Imo he is a bad coach. Offense has never been top ten, or even top half of the league

9. Hey Now!

We're talking about what is now a 28-game regular season stretch - and all you want to talk about is a single game in that stretch... and then throw "knee jerk" at us........

10. Hey Now!

Currently top 10 by DVOA. I think health is a much bigger determent to this offense than BO'B. Watson was not fully healthy early last year (knee/lung). But when Fuller is healthy, this is a dangerous offense. When Fuller and now Stills are healthy, this is a REALLY dangerous offense. If they reach January with Watson, Hyde, Johnson, Hopkins, Fuller, Stills and Fells healthy......... They could be a VERY tough out.

Look at what they did to the Patriots... yeah, they had a flu, etc.... But now we know why he wanted Duke Johnson - he absolutely - and purposefully - exploited a Patriot weakness: their LBs cannot cover fast RBs. I also loved them putting Roby on White and shutting that valve off early - that's great coaching; frankly, the kind of match-up exploitation Belichick is rightly lauded for.

Again, nobody should build a statue for BO'B - but, man - we've got to get beyond the idea he's a "bad" coach... there's just less and less evidence supporting that, short of cherry-picking favorable (for your bias) results.

11. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

They are LOOKING for ANYTHING to hate O'Brien for. Something that would get him fired.

Hey Now! likes this.
  12. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Crappy Division? They will have 2 playoff teams this year. They had 2 playoff teams last season and 2 playoff teams the year before that. Look at the NFC East. The division winner could be 8-8 this year.

LOL. They didn't mortgage anything. If Conley and Hargreaves work out, you just got 2 previous 1st round picks at a position of need. You have your LT. You lose 1st round pick this year and a 1 and 2 in 2021, while having extra picks in the 3rd and later rounds. They will be fine.

hieuytran likes this.
  13. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Oh..I thought it was he couldn't beat winning teams in big games, during the regular season?

Keep moving those goalpost.

hieuytran and Hey Now! like this.
  14. Hey Now!

If we're going to set standards ("crappy division"; "Derek carr"), let's not be selective - BO'B's starting QB was lost for 10 games in 2017 (1-9). So 49-33 otherwise, which is an average pace of 9.6 wins/season (or, you know: 10). And can we please stop acting like Derek Carr is Joe Montana? Is he better than Connor Cook? Yes. Is he good enough to make any sane person think he would've single-handedly swung a game's results? No. And, again, BO'B's starting QB was Brock Osweiler. His lone playoff win - which EVERYONE wants to write-off - was with Brock Osweiler. And that's somehow not definitive proof he's a fairly decent coach?........

Crappy division? Yeah, probably. You know who else is in a crappy division? New England. Significantly crappier in possibly every single year of its dynasty (yes, including this year - the Texans don't get to fatten up with four games v the Dolphins and Jets). You know how often it's mentioned? Never. But, they win Super Bowls, right? Fair enough. Still, I think they've lost two division games/year, like, once since 2002. So that's a 4+-win head start to each and every season.

Here's my bigger problem with "crappy division" - 19 of the 32 teams in the NFL right now are .500 or worse. Last year, it was 18; in '17 it was 15; in '16, it was 17.

That means, taking our four-year average, a team will play 9 games v teams at or below .500. So any notion the Texans - and only the Texans - are fattening up on a crappy division ignores that every good team does it.

And they do. You can go through ANY good team's schedule and it's probably going to look something like this: ~.500 v good teams; overwhelmingly good v bad teams. Don't believe me? Let's look at the current division leaders & their records against teams with winning records.

Patriots: 2-2 (& they haven't beaten a winning team since September, FYI)
    Ravens: 6-1 (they're bananas)
    Texans: 2-2
    Chiefs: 2-3
    Packers: 2-1
    Saints: 2-1
    49ers: 3-2
    Seahawks (I subbed out Dallas): 4-2

23-14 (62%) v. winning teams (& that includes a ridiculous 6-1 for the Ravens; the rest are just 17-13 (57%))
    54-9 (86%) v. teams at or below .500.

But somehow, year after year, it's the Texans - and only the Texans - who's schedule is held to BCS-level standards.

And look! Crappy division? OK... You still have to win those games and BO'B is 21-7 (exlcuding '17) - which is about in-line with how often really good teams beat bad teams.

I'll keep using this line: he doesn't deserve a statue........ But 50-42 overall (49-33 with a semi-competent QB) has to at least elevate him out of the "bad" discussion. He is NOT a bad coach. Doesn't mean he's great. But bad coaches don't post winning records 85% of the time. They don't win 19 of 28 regular season games. They don't beat up on a "crappy" division to the tune of 75%.

They just don't.

#4634 Hey Now!, Dec 4, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    houstonstime likes this.
  15. Hey Now!

This has been a go-to for Mr. Clutch for several months now, and it makes no sense because - while I think your point is spot-on about Hargraves and Conley (not to mention Stills) - b****ing about future seasons only underscores that you are out of ammunition to b**** about the current season.

Who cares if they've mortgaged their future *in 2019*? Only people who don't really care about 2019. I mean, imagine having *that thought* in the aftermath of a victory v. the Patriots?.... Yes, of course - you can do both. But for it to be a continual point of contention - long before it's even given a chance to play-out - is proof the current season is bankrupting their bias.

The Texans are on pace for, what? Their fourth double-digit win season since 2002... and people want to dig for reasons to be mad about it. I pity them. This is a fun team with a lot of talent who are in virtually every game they play. If that doesn't move your needle.... your needle is the problem, not the team.

hieuytran likes this.
  16. Mr. Clutch

Yes, currently top 10. He might finally accomplish it and it only took trading a ton of picks, so it isn't sustainable

17. Mr. Clutch

I don't understand Houston fans, who've seen smart gms for other local teams build sustainable contenders, thinking blowing a bunch of assets on one year is a good idea

18. Mr. Clutch

Like I've mentioned, only division without a real contender. Although the cowboys division looks that way also

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Maybe because we pretty much know how it all will probably end. You know, 1st round playoff loss and all.

20. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

And what if it doesn't end that way?

Rudyc281 likes this.