1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Athletic] Elston Turner is trying to make the Rockets defense great, but he can’t do it alone

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Nov 27, 2019.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

"Per Second Spectrum, the Rockets starting lineup and most frequent five of Westbrook-Harden-House-Tucker-Clint Capela has a defensive rating of 92.0 in 158 minutes. That’s the best in the league of groups that have played at least 150 minutes together"

Elston Turner: "So over the long haul, we need to get to the point, especially with a veteran team, man, you just do not drop off when you go to the bench. You cannot have it.”

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I love posts linking to the Athletic which nobody seems able to access

3. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

The Suns did him and Majerle wrong

4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I want to read this. BzD became a cult figure around here, but I think Elston is a good coach.

It's interesting if our starting 5 could keep a sub-100 defensive rating. All of the simpletons just pointing the finger at Harden for the defensive problems would be invalidated. We need competent wings/forwards.

5. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

You should definitely get the Athletic it’s totally worth it. Cost me 40 bucks for the entire year.

6. gotsis

gotsis Member

Hate to be that guy, but I don't sign The Athletic, can someone post it on here?

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Tilman: "Play harder."

[/Clap Clap]

Nook likes this.
  8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Defense falls off the cliff with the bench because there needs to be better players and more depth.

Tilman won't spend for that. And here we are.

slothy420, Nook and pippendagimp like this.
  9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Its the smartest thing to do in the league where scott foster is MVP and tony brothers DPOY

Invisible Fan likes this.
  10. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I don’t know that our bench personnel is bad defensively .

Rivers is solid
    Thabo is known for his D
    Tyson was a great defensive piece , idk if he is anymore
    Gordon is also a good defender (when he comes back)

So what’s the problem with our bench’s defense ?

My opinion is that it’s probably the offense . Hard to defend when the opponent can get out in transition because you can’t score

Clark is also a defense first player
    Hartenstein is young but he has size and has had moments when he looked good

Thabo and Tyson are probably too old. We need to give Clark and Hartenstein more minutes to see if they can cut it , and if not make moves.

Maybe also play thabo at wing vs the 4 ?

Once again , I bet our second units defense is fine in the halfcourt . We just have to get some more buckets so that teams feel pressure to score and have to go against our set D

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

yep, some of the best content at cf

12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

The defensive coach wants to make the team defensive, Eureka!

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Make the Rockets defense great again!

[​IMG]

slothy420, D-rock and Os Trigonum like this.
  14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Not long enough.
    Not athletic enough.
    Chandler/Thabo are old and can't be expected to perform at a high level for extended minutes. So there is diminishing returns on their defensive abilities.

The bench is a problem.

MrSabotage, D-rock and HP3 like this.
  15. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

What do you mean by extended minutes ? In most circumstances I wouldn’t expect Tyson to play more than 15min ... is he not capable of that ?

I agree on athleticism .

I’m just saying , on paper the personnel isn’t bad . Rivers and Gordon should be excellent. We do have problems in the front court . But it’s not like PJ is particularly long or athletic either .

We should give Clark and Hartenstein more run .

HP3 likes this.
  16. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Good luck with that.

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Love it. Houston Chronicle and Washington post, love it.

don grahamleone likes this.
  18. HP3

HP3 Member

Harty and Clemmons should get more minutes but I wanna say...just outside of Dantoni and everything, it might be time to move on from Gary Bro...I think he's had his chances.
    (I would love to be wrong though).

D-rock, ElPigto and snowconeman22 like this.
  19. lionaire

lionaire Member

I have a feeling he's gonna go full Robert Covington on us for another team

HakeemOnlyFan, Gray_Jay and hakeem94 like this.
  20. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

It’s possible

Still , he’s one of the few guys on the roster whose physical profile lends itself to being a good 3/4 defender. He was solid last season on the defensive end , especially for a rookie.

I think his biggest weakness is on the offensive end . Maybe he sucks in practice , but all I’ve ever heard is that MDA runs light practices . So maybe , he’s not getting much opportunity to show his stuff .

It’s just sad we don’t have more projects / prospects that have plus physical tools and just need to figure out the X’s and O’s

At the very least I’d give him a game over maclemore (who I think has been OK and is exactly what we paid for) who has been shooting like ass. Or at least give him half of Mac’s minutes if he has another cold half.

MDA would rather play one guy 20 min than 2 guys 10, even if the one guy is struggling mightily . That makes sense for stars and established players , but Ben was almost out of the league lol .

What Gary showed last season is that he has high defensive upside and needed a lot of work on the other end of the floor. So far (to me) he hasn’t gotten an opportunity this year to show if he’s improved. Maybe he didn’t show effort in preseason and camp. But as a fan the only thing I can judge him on is his on court opportunities

Rocket River and HP3 like this.