1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN/Goldsberry] Three key questions about Houston's Westbrook experiment

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Three key questions about Houston's Westbrook experiment

Houston, we have a Westbrook ... now what?

Following the initial shock of the Russell Westbrook trade to the Houston Rockets, there were three immediate questions about the superstar on the court:

• Can Westbrook shoot well enough to play in Houston's system?

• Can Westbrook and James Harden coexist?

• Does Westbrook make the Rockets better?
    Let's try to answer those questions after eight Westbrook games -- he has missed one matchup during Houston's 6-3 start -- with the necessary caveat that it's still early.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28051965

#1 Deuce, Nov 11, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

What Jumps Out??

The teams with Harden and Harden 2.0 are leading the league in offensive efficiency. :cool:

D-rock and don grahamleone like this.
  4. HP3

HP3 Member

We need to take it to another level. I feel like offensively, we can still get better. Call me crazy, but we need to let Westbrook shoot more from the corner. We need to make teams respect his jumper more, in any way possible.

da_juice likes this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lakers are not good at Offense? But rooms to improve.

Wow those Suns.

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

7. HP3

HP3 Member

The Lakers force alot of AD post ups, even when Lebron is on the floor, its weird.

8. Nook

Nook Member

Well it hasn't been an unmitigated disaster and I really do not question whether Harden and Westbrook can flourish offensively together and as a team. That is quite an accomplishment in my eyes because I really questioned whether that is the case. The offense has a chance to be better as the ceiling is quite high. The Rockets are still having spacing issues with Gordon struggling as a shooter. The tandem of Westbrook and Capela on the floor together is not very good either. Still this offense is capable of improving and being able to run other teams off the court, including very good teams.

Defensively, they have personnel issues. They can get to where they are solid but to win a title they have to add on the defensive side.

D-rock, Highlyrated, saleem and 2 others like this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

From the same article.

This can be digested though.

10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

11. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

87 minutes so far with Westbrook on and Harden off: NEGATIVE 18.8 net rating

That has to get better

12. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I'm interested to see who's one the floor with Russ during those 87 minutes. If it includes ColdMan Gordon then that really doesn't help Westbrook's cause. I'd say this is more of an indictment that our depth sucks.

D-rock, Corrosion and don grahamleone like this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

WB alone can't carry the load no more.

14. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

So I answered my own question. This is the lineups we've played thus far without Harden:

1st. 12 total minutes: Westbrook, Gordon, Rivers, Tucker, House. Netrating: -6.5
    2nd. 9 total minutes: Westbrook, Thabo, Gordon, Rivers, Capela Netrating: -12.8
    3rd. 7 total minutes: Westbrook, Tucker, Rivers, McLemore, House Netrating: -38.5
    4th. 7 total minutes: Westbrook, Chandler, Thabo, Gordon, Rivers Netrating: -47.9
    5th. 6 total minutes: Westbrook, Tucker, Gordon, Rivers, Mclemore Netrating: -66

4 out of the top 5 Westbrook-centric lineups that have been thrown out there Eric Gordon and his artic freezing shooting as of late.
    3 out of the top 5 Westbrook-centric lineups that have been thrown out there don't have a player taller than 6'9"
    2 out of the top 5 Wsetbrook-centric lineups have have been thrown out there somehow has both Mclemore AND Rivers on the court at the same time

Russ has his warts but I don't think the personnel that is going out there on the floor with him is setting the team (and, by extension, him) up for success.

D-rock, Easy, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.