1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Andrew Luck retires from NFL

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Aug 24, 2019.

1. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Wow. What's the backstory behind that?

Teams try to recoup signing bonuses all of the time, as Ricky Williams could tell you. I wonder why the Colts aren't trying to get some of it back? Especially considering the timing of Luck's retirement.

2. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I was born in Indiana and broke down here in Houston

3. Major

Major Member

I assume Luck could have just stayed injured and collected his money and retired after the season. From the article, it was agreed to last week, so this has been in the works for a while at least.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  4. hooroo

hooroo Member

He's giving up $58.1 million by retiring.

5. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Is that money-yet-to-be-earned, like salary and roster bonuses, or does that include money he already earned like his signing bonus and if he earned any roster or training camp bonus this year?

I see him forfeiting the first set, but teams usually go after the second set too.

As Major pointed out, this has probably been in the works for awhile.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

They are probably hoping he comes back, when he gets healthy.

DD

7. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

This but I’m guessing he signs with New York to be near his dad.

8. awc713

awc713 Member

Very sad to see. Not only because this will now lead to another 9-7 season (insert classic first round exit), but Luck is a great (& local) product. Great guy and even better QB. Sucks he went to the Colts, but he's been a stand-up professional since joining the league. He has the talent to be one of the best QBs ever. I don't think there will be a comeback tour. I'd expect him to take a few years off and potentially join the college coaching ranks.

Hopefully this is a wakeup call to the organization to get Watson a damn line.

plutoblue11, solid and B-Bob like this.
  9. likestohypeguy

Announcement was supposed to have been today.

Someone leaked it to schefter with the perfect timing to awkward everything up the most- during a game so the fans can voice their opinion, the colt announcers heard during the game but were not allowed to comment on it in broadcast, your teammates finding out on the sideline before you got to tell them after the game. Then luck had to do that quick and dirty presser. What a mess.

And that 24.8 million they're letting him keep, $12mil is under the ruptured spleen compensation package, and $12.8 lacerated kidney exemption, I think is how that breaks down.

Shaud, Blake and B-Bob like this.
  10. solid

solid Contributing Member

I truly don't understand their negligence in building a first class offensive line. Incomprehensible.

11. Buck Turgidson

Much respect. Looking out for the rest of his life and his ability to enjoy it with his family.

All of the NFL community should expect more players to take this route in the future. Enjoy them while you can.

Sajan and YOLO like this.
  12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Dude is an architectural engineer. He isnt your average pro who has nothing else going on. He is done.

Sajan likes this.
  13. Sajan

Sajan Member

Brother, they can't even find a GM....let alone football players.

14. Buck Turgidson

"Brother, can you spare a GM?"

Nook likes this.
  15. likestohypeguy

Some scouts are saying he has all the tools & work ethic to potentially become the greatest architect of all time barring injury.

#55 likestohypeguy, Aug 27, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    Torn n Frayed, Nook and pgabriel like this.
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

B-Bob likes this.
  17. likestohypeguy

That's a nice silver lining, this account ends before it gets too played out. I mean, he was already peddling t-shirts & coffee mugs?!

18. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Players get the itch. He gets to feeling good, he may decide to give it another shot. He may also stay retired.

People act like this never happens, but it wasn't long ago that Patrick Willis stunningly retired. And of course there is the infamous Barry Sanders retirement that everybody seemed to think wasn't going to be permanent.

B-Bob likes this.
  19. Shaud

Shaud Member

Adam went on Lebatard and explained the leak. He said that some of the teammates already knew about it couple of days ago .

I get why he leaked it because he felt like if he didn’t someone else would .

20. J.R.

J.R. Member