1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BBall Breakdown video-Why Jeremy Lin is out of the NBA

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clips/Roxfan, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

2. Acura

Acura Member

Lin seems like the type of guy that could still find a spot in the league if he wasn’t such a dram queen. Every time the guy hits a pothole in his career it’s a poor me situation. Seems more trouble than he is worth with his passive aggressive ways.

3. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Great analysis by coach nick. I would take it a step further, a guy who needs that high usage needs to be able to shoot the ball better. That has got to have some teams weary of taking him on. He does what Harden and WB do, just far less effectively.

ghettocheeze likes this.
  4. TimDuncanDonaut

To be honest, I stopped watching Lin after he left the Rockets. This was a nice video with breakdown on how he faired as a journeyman on the teams after. Be interesting to see what's next for him.

daywalker02 likes this.
  5. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Long video titled "Why Jeremy Lin is out of the NBA", which cherry picks plays to draw random conclusions and DOES NOT even answer why he is not in the NBA.

[​IMG]

Here is the real reason Airemy is not in the NBA:

Because he is a mental midget.

JuNx, Blurr#7, dreamshakin and 6 others like this.
  6. Hardy Toll Road

He was pretty good with the Nets but was never the same once he tore up his foot.

daywalker02 likes this.
  7. Juxtaposed Jolt

He IS a point guard, after all. Offenses should absolutely be run through Lin, when he's out on the floor...

8. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Yeah, it's strange...it's more of a "see how good Lin is when he's in situations exactly tailored to him", even thou no team would ever win anything of significance like that. He really never says why he's not in the league. A video like this could easily be made for the dozens of other bench guys that could do better if put in situations that are tailored to their strengths as well.

JuNx, Zboy and ghettocheeze like this.
  9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

^injuries and better players with his strengths tasks can take a chance on.

Months long injuries is why we see P gone

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

a 21 min video on why Lin is no good? Does it show every minute he played last season?

11. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Basically a breakdown of how Lin is a pretty inept without the ball in his hands and optimal spacing at his advantage. Somehow the basketball gods were against him every time he missed a shot with the Raptors last season.

He's a pretty average player as a ball dominant screen and roll heavy PG, if you take away the 35 games he played in NY with a Melo-less team Knicks squad.

ghettocheeze likes this.
  12. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

On a serious note, the real issue with Jeremy Lin is that he requires so much on offense to be custom tailored to him -- high usage, fast pace, spread the floor, multiple picks to get him open lanes -- all in return for mediocre win results.

That's why so many teams have given up on him, period.

This list of optimal ingredients required to make Lin successful are reserved for all-NBA level superstars. There are only a handful of players in the league who have entire systems designed around their singular talents -- Harden, Curry, LeBron, Giannis -- that's it.

The rest of the league including other superstars have to play within some system or set philosophy.

That's where Lin has failed to adapt. Sure, he's got the athletic talent and shows flashes of brilliance, but no team is willing to dedicate that many resources to make one player achieve his optimal best.

Lin has failed to accept this reality and evolve his game into a role-player.

This is exactly the same problem with Isaiah Thomas who has seen far more individual success than Lin. Yet, teams have all but given up on him as well because the lightning in a bottle created under Brad Stevens' system is nearly impossible to replicate.

There is no fix for either player. Either reinvent yourself to the needs of teams or be left by the wayside.

#12 ghettocheeze, Aug 9, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  13. yoeddy

yoeddy Contributing Member

How was the system in Charlotte tailored to him? Or the Nets? Or Atlanta?

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I watched the whole thing and damn me if I can figure out why. It’s almost like an infomercial paid for by Lin in an effort to get a team to sign him. Weird. Having said that, I hope he finds happiness, somewhere. Crying before the whole world is not going to do it, though. Get a grip, Jerry!

Astrodome and ghettocheeze like this.
  15. Pizza_Da_Hut

You knocked it out of the park here. No team wants to retool their offense for an aging PG who has only shown flashes in his career. Even a team that's rebooting would probably prefer giving that time to their up and coming PG. So, that leaves Lin to learn a new style of play. Can he do it? I'm not sure.

Deckard and ghettocheeze like this.
  16. yoeddy

yoeddy Contributing Member

He did it in Charlotte. He did it in Brooklyn when he was healthy. He did it in Atlanta. Heck, he even did it in Houston and arguably LA. He only place where he was not productive was in Toronto.

17. Pizza_Da_Hut

He did what exactly? Run the offense? Sure he did, but as the video even said the issue he ran into is that the offense when it didn't fit his style of play didn't work out well for him. He has also shown to be a positively dreadful 2-guard. Not to get too recency biased as well, but Toronto's data is slightly more relevant as well because it is more recent. I don't want to play a fallacious argument and put the burden on you, but what team in the NBA in it's current state would be better retooling their offense such that Lin could come in and run it? I'm not saying offenses in the NBA are all great, but I would rather have one of my up and coming guys run that offense and get the reps if I'm a team rebuilding. If I'm a team contending, he also doesn't fit quite right because I don't necessarily want to mess with success.

The ideal situation for him is for a team with a PG who has a similar style of play to Lin, and is in a position to win, has their guy go down with an injury. The issue is, teams in that situation, won't be there for a couple of months. So for now, he plays the waiting game.

Zboy and ghettocheeze like this.
  18. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Did you even watch the video?

Coach Nick explained all of this in details. I'll paraphrase...

Charlotte was a bad fit because Hornets already had Kemba Walker who ran the offense. Lin struggled there, opted out in the offseason, and left.

Brooklyn was a reunion with Kenny Atkinson -- former Knicks assistant coach under D'Antoni. This was a good fit. Atkinson opened up the offense for Lin to run. He did good with a center like Brook Lopez who had range from 3PT. However, Lin got injured multiple times, tore his patella, and the Nets simply moved on with D'Angelo and the youth movement.

Atlanta was again a good fit under Lloyd Pierce; fast-paced, lots of spacing, shooters around. However, the Hawks had just drafted their point guard of the future in Trae Young and Lin was simply there to help groom him for half a season. Once Young got a handle on running the offense, the Hawks waived Lin after a buyout.

So yeah the only places where Lin works are teams who retool their entire offense around him. However, the only team willing to do all that are essentially in the process of rebuilding. Now, even those opportunities have dried up for Lin because he's just not worth that much effort anymore.

19. vick

vick Member

Maybe he can join a Big 3 team

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

It happens. He isnt a spring chicken anymore and he was never above average. He made his money. Quit crying and go find a check somewhere.

tinman likes this.