1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Robert Mueller Testimony Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by khanhdum, Jul 23, 2019.

1. jcf

jcf Member

Did you understand Mueller to be saying that one could charge a sitting president after he leaves office or more specifically that Mueller determined there were sufficient grounds to charge Trump for obstruction?

2. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

He didnt understand at all what mueller was saying.

TheresTheDagger, cml750 and jcf like this.
  3. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Honestly I'm assuming he slipped up and said the latter. I was watching it live and rewinded it to make sure I was correct but I don't think it was his intent to say that, he meant the former.

jcf likes this.
  4. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Were you watching live or posting tweets from your favorite contributor in the forum?

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Reading that bit of the transcript, there's two ways to understand the exchange. One, is that Rep. Buck is asking do you have a strong enough case to actually bring obstruction charges after Trump leaves office, and Mueller says he does. Or, two, that Rep. Buck is asking if it is theoretically possible to bring obstruction charges once a presidential immunity expires, and Mueller is saying he could in theory if there was a case to be brought. I don't think they clarified what they were really talking about.

I think I know the answer -- that Mueller is responding here to mean charges could theoretically be brought. He wouldn't say that the case merits bringing charges necessarily because he doesn't want to be caught saying that out loud. But, he totally does think the charges can and should be brought in due time. But that's just me reading in what I want to hear.

Andre0087 likes this.
  6. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

I'm quoting mueller. 'We made no determination on if trump committed a crime'. This is officially stated position in the report. How could he have no opinion on if trump committed a crime and at the same time think he should be charged? Charged with what? A crime he doesn't know if trump committed?

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Repubs win the morning -- Dems the afternoon.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  8. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It was so strange. I thought the morning would be worse for the Republicans and better for the Democrats. But the Trump came off much worse in the afternoon's hearing which had to do with Russia and Trump's relationship with Russia.

9. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Mueller probably isnt the only one who hasnt heard of fusion gps.

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I yield my time to the ranking member...

Nunes: Are aliens commonly referred to as the 'Greys' responsible for writing and leaking the Steele Dossier?

Rashmon, Nook and FranchiseBlade like this.
  11. mick fry

mick fry Member

Mueller made it clear that he did not intend to support Lieu’s implication that Mueller would have indicted Trump if not for the OLC opinion. That would have meant that Mueller determined that Trump committed a crime, but could not do anything about it. What Mueller meant was that the OLC opinion kept him from even deciding if an indictment would be warranted in the first place.

12. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

So, another nothingburger, just as I predicted.

cml750 and mick fry like this.
  13. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

OMG what a true "disaster day" for the liberals.

Trump wins again

mick fry likes this.
  14. mick fry

mick fry Member

they aren't bad but I prefer the cranberry blackberry.
    [​IMG]

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Don't give yourself too much credit. Pretty much everybody predicted that.

16. mick fry

mick fry Member

Oh it’s not over!
    [​IMG]

cml750 likes this.
  17. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Apparently in some people's view, it is obstruction of justice to oppose an active coup d’etat. ....

18. Nook

Nook Member

He spelled it out in his report. He did not believe it was his job to offer an opinion on whether Trump committed a crime or not. He based that on the position of the AG that a sitting President cannot he charged with a crime while in office.

Further he was instructed by the AG to not deviate from his report. Therefore his opinions are irrelevant. It is up to congress to determine if he has committed impeachable crimes while Trump is in office. Once he is out of office the proper authorities to determine if they want to charge him with crimes.

Trump did all of this to himself. Robert Mueller was never out “to get” the President. He is a conservative person that strongly believes in authority and strict rules of procedure. Robert Mueller did not deviate from the state department rules and his OPINIONS on the subject are beyond the orders. He received.

All he will discuss are facts contained in his report. Trump should be very grateful, because someone else with less obedience or viewed their role to be less restricted, could have offered a number of opinions that are not flattering of President Trump.

19. Nook

Nook Member

Apparently some people don’t know what an active coup d’etat is.

Rashmon likes this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

Except I don’t see anyone freaking out.... Muller made it very clear a number of times that he would only repeat the facts in his report.

FranchiseBlade likes this.