1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Picking best free-agent offers for Le'Veon Bell, and the one he should take

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by tmoney1101, Feb 25, 2019.

1. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Honestly don’t know why people think we will target Le’Veon... our franchise has a long history of not dealing with guys with red flags. Maybe since Bob McNair is gone we will change that stance but I’ll believe it when I see it.

2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I dont consider him a red flag- he plays a position that doesnt last very long in this league and the Steelers kept trying to franchise him over and over. I dont blame him at all for wanting a contract to secure his future while playing the most hazardous position.

red5rocket, Fulgore and Nimo like this.
  3. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I’m talking about the multiple suspensions not him sitting out a year... the dude is not a Boy Scout and the Texans have never ever signed or drafted a player that had previous “red flags”

Now Imo weed is no big deal but the Texans as an organization have been more consistent than any other team in only bringing in guys with squeaky clean past.

4. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Jaelen Strong had a red flag

5. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Strong was not going to cost Houston a huge commitment.

6. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

He said Texans have never drafted...

7. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Running backs do not put you over the top in today's NFL. We know this, so why would we pay premium money to Bell?

Spend that money on the o-line.

body slam likes this.
  8. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

DeVier Posey had red flags coming out of college as well.....

Didn't we just sign Tyrann Mathieu as well this past offseason? He had numerous red flags coming into the league. Not as many since but you're right... @K-Low_4_Prez 's statement is wrong.

red5rocket likes this.
  9. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Not that long ago, Arian Foster was our offense.

I dont mind spending money on the line, but we shouldve nabbed Kareem Hunt and just dealt with the backlash, which all-in-all doesnt seem to be that bad in cincy right now being the offseason.

oelman44 likes this.
  10. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

He said signed or drafted...

11. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

lol I picked drafted because I didn't know anyone signed off the top of my head

12. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I loved watching Arian Foster play when healthy. He did carry much of our offense for the two years that we were even remotely a contender. But that was behind an amazing offensive line and with a quarterback who at his best was maybe top 10 in the league, but far from elite. Foster was also on a pretty reasonable deal even after his rookie contract.

We now have a potential elite QB, and Bell will probably earn substantially more than Foster did judging based on Gurley's contract.

Point is I think we are better off investing that money elsewhere and signing/drafting other help at RB.

13. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

He singed with Cleveland not Cincinnati.

14. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

McClain has reported that D'Onta Foreman is working his tail off and looking impressive.
    If he was not up to scratch, it would be obvious.
    This bodes well, so I would rather pick up a Jay Ajayi or Tevin Coleman or Ingram for another vet presence - and they should all be cheaper than Bell.
    A trio of Miller, Foreman and one of the aforementioned vets would give us a top tier ground game.

Astrodome likes this.
  15. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Lamar Miller is a prime candidate to be cut. The Texans add $6M in cap space by cutting Miller. If Le'Veon does in fact command $15M/year AAV, cutting Miller and Kevin Johnson gets us there. Not saying it will happen, but it's certainly not the monstrosity of a contract that people are making it out to be.

mikol13 and red5rocket like this.
  16. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I agree. I'm hoping for Bell & Foreman then we draft a back.

17. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Spending over $10 million on a running back is not the best use of the salary cap.

18. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

I must admit I am interested in Bell - he's a great RB and also receiver - and Texans need help on both those counts so they will kill two birds with one stone.

red5rocket likes this.
  19. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Perhaps not, but it wouldn't be as cost prohibitive as people are making it out to be either.