1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Not much to dislike about the Rockets signing Carmelo Anthony

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 23, 2018.

?

Do you like the Rockets move to sign Carmelo Anthony to a one-year, $2.4M deal?

1. YES

460 vote(s)
    95.2%
  2. NO

23 vote(s)
    4.8%
  1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Deke, Nene, Green, Luc, Josh Smith

D-rock likes this.
  2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Fair point, but even more ---- instead of paying him $27M, we're paying him $1.5M (yes, that's 95% off!) AND retain the MLE to sign even more pieces!

This is a video game acquisition of Carmelo Anthony.

3. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

"Too many people are looking at Carmelo as a Trevor Ariza replacement. He’s not. This is a Ryan Anderson replacement — or at least a replacement for what Anderson once brought to the team. Both Anderson and Anthony struggle defensively as stretch fours and aren’t ideal fits in Houston’s switching system, but Anthony doesn’t have a problem getting a shot off like Anderson now appears to have. 2017 Anderson or 2018 Gerald Green are good examples of players with defensive deficiencies that filled roles here because of their ability to stretch the floor."

As if I needed even further proof this guy will be starting at PF for us, thanks @Clutch!

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  4. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

I guess as a Ryno replacement, it's fine.

BarkleyHater84 likes this.
  5. bj3175

bj3175 Member

we need this vid played at toyota center every time carmelo hits a three lol

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Seriously. Iso player. Iso team. Makes too much sense, plus at the minimum? Nothing to be mad about.

7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Clutch reads Clutchfans.

8. BigBum

BigBum Member

Yes, he is a better version of Anderson and he will improve his 18 feet shooting very soon.

9. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

It doesnt matter what we do, Warriors in 6.

CK Johnson likes this.
  10. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Power Forward looks light.

11. thedreamsteam

thedreamsteam Member

Rockets about to stunt on the NBA.

jch1911 likes this.
  12. BarkleyHater84

I know that I am in the minority here, but I don't like the signing.
    1. Melo makes them worse defensively and greatly reduces switchability
    2. He will refuse to play in a catch-and-shoot role
    3. He doesn't get along with the coach and forced him out of NY (lest we forget)
    4. Team chemistry will take a plunge like we haven't seen around here since the Dwight days (or worse)
    5. Their main rivals, Golden State and Utah Jazz, will eat him alive out there.

Yes, they could do a lot worse for the minimum, but I would rather get an undrafted wing in here than to give time to another old guy failure.

Edit- Failure is a strong word. I regretted using that immediately I don't mean Carmelo as a man or basketball player is a failure. I mean that his time in Houston will be deemed a failure, I. E. Joe Johnson Barkley, etc.

13. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Checkout Melo's 20-29 minutes stats last year on Basketball reference. Avg. 17 pts per game on 0.594 TS %. This was a decent sample size of 15 Games last season. Rockets should play him only 25-30 minutes. As mentioned, he is a great 1st qtr. player in his career so he can help us get an early lead in the first 6-8 minutes and then play about 20 minutes the rest of the game. This should allow Harden, Paul, Gordon and Tucker to play around 30-34 minutes a night since they typically get better as the game goes on. A small (extremely small) ball lineup of the following is as salty as it gets in this league. I think there is enough rebounding and defense in this lineup to do some damage in the 4th quarter. Teams are starting to get better Centers across the league though so this super small ball trend may not continue as much next season thanks to big men making a bit of a resurgence. Of course Capela instead of Tucker will make us even more lethal due to the threat of the lob and also changing shots on the defensive end.

Paul
    Gordon
    Harden
    Melo
    Tucker

14. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Can't be worse than RyNo, has no ability to hurt chemistry or the coach as he is making nothing. He has no hand.

Red Chocolate likes this.
  15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I thought we dodged a bullet last year. But at this price, worth giving it a try.

mikol13, Nook, arno_ed and 1 other person like this.
  16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Do something Morey!

17. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I believe Kanter. I think Melo will work his ass off at getting back into shape. We’re getting the post-breakup workout regimen, nothing but chicken breasts and celery for months just to regain that old bikini bod and prove to the ex that Melo’s still got it, baby. Delete Facebook, lawyer up, because Westbrook won’t know what him!

D-rock likes this.
  18. Moleb

Moleb Member

True, but can always waive. Hopefully if cancer he's waived soon.

TracywtFacy likes this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Not sure you were an actual Barkley hater but that dude had still got double digit scoring and rebounding numbers.

I would say average by his Allstar standards and considering he was really old.

If Melo gives you 15 ppg and 12 rpg as old Barkley did, that is not a failure.

I am considering Barkley a much better Allround player in Prime than Mr. Anthony.

And he stood up to Shaq in a Rox jersey, that was pretty cool.

#59 daywalker02, Jul 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    don grahamleone and jch1911 like this.
  20. cebu

cebu Member

Ennis was in the frontpage but Carmelow is not. ;)