1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2018/2019 European Football Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Yung-T, Jul 1, 2018.

1. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Alphonso Davies reminds me of a homogeneous mix of Victor Anichebe and Romelu Lukaku.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

While this is a simple page, I use it to see what he likes to do as a player.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/320040/Show/Alphonso-Davies

Yung-T likes this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Must be a very short Lukaku though.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

That's a pretty good team -- is that LA Galaxy?

daywalker02 likes this.
  7. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Harsh to even mention Anichebe in any sort of comparison with Davies. Anichebe had no on-ball skill at 17 or at 27 that was better than Davies right now other than shielding and holding onto the ball for others. :D

Funny that they list being weak as a weakness for him. I think he is much stronger at 17 than quite a few wingers, strikers and center mids in MLS already. A number of them on the Houston Dynamo for example.:D

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I am just being a dumbass. I don't know anything about Davies other than that highlight clip.

Too bad he is Canadian. Would have been a nice piece for the USMNT.

ferrari77 likes this.
  9. ferrari77

Meh, it is pre-season tho so gotta expect that. Same in every sport- Basketball, American Football etc.
    Let the youngsters get some action first and as the matches go by and season gets closer then get the 1st teamers more time.

I think we'll see a good mix today. Sprinkle of 1st team starts and young players. Especially with Liverpool having brought a number of 1st team stars on the pre-season tour. From Matip and VVD to Keita, Mane, Salah, etc.

Watching this ICC tournament U-14 match involving Bayern and Chelsea. There's a talented young player on the Bayern U-14s (wears #14) Williams Baffour Sulley.

Also didn't realize Bayern have an American in the squad. Defender Chris Richards on loan from FC Dallas. Interesting move
    Apparently he played in the match vs PSG

#89 ferrari77, Jul 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They bought him from Dallas?

11. ferrari77

Nah loan. Apparently as Bayern have been making their incursion to North America, they decided to forge an alliance with FC Dallas I guess to get first rights on FC Dallas youth that might be good enough to have European teams after them. They gave Chris Richard a trial in April and then brought him over on loan.

Good choice by Bayern as to which MLS Academy to forge a relationship with. Dallas have a real nice program.

Yung-T likes this.
  12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Oezil retired from the German national team. While the DFB handled that whole affair quite badly, Oezil is still a whiny biatch - self-victimization to no end, no self-criticism whatsoever.

Yung-T and Raz like this.
  13. rhino17

rhino17 Member

German fans blow my mind. Ozil is one of the best chance creators of his generation. Despite all the b****ing German fans did about him in he World Cup, he still created the most chances per 90 minutes of anyone in the tourney. Ozil is world class on the pitch

14. Raz

Raz Member

That's an isolated stat, hard to bring into context in football. Means nothing. It's not his fault that our team failed, but he didn't help either, played a terrible World Cup like almost everybody else in the German jersey. Our best game was against Sweden when he was benched for 90 minutes.
    Also, German fans are mainly furious about Özil for worshipping a dictator that imprisons German citizens for political reasons, insults our whole country/people or even Turkish descendants that don't follow his line. Agree with ATW, Özil is a whiny, self-obsessed little b****, his statements are a joke, really glad and relieved he's gone. Would've been booed off the field in every game in Germany anyways.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  15. Fantasma Negro

Not sure if everyone is aware but Özil has been dealing with a pretty chronic back injury. He missed most of the season for Arsenal but still tried to gut it out in the Europa quarterfinals, it did not go well. Özil is world class but he's way too concerned with how he is perceived in the media, he's constantly tweeting apologies to fans after losses telling us how "gutted" he was and it was completely unnecessary. By the looks of his performance in the world cup his back is still giving him problems which is why Emery is trying to sign Coman from Bayern Munich. Özil cut his post world cup vacation (was supposed to be off til August)short to return to Arsenal because of some nasty comments on his Instagram page which I think is a mistake, but hopefully Emery doesn't play him during their preseason tour because the only thing Özil can do right now is play himself out of the squad.

16. Gdaliya

Gdaliya Member

While the big team's play pre-season games around the world Belgium competitive seasom just begun.
    Club Brugge defeated Standard Liege 2-1 and won the Belgian Super cup.
    If someone is interested or wanna follow the Belgian top league(Jupiler league) will start this friady.

17. ferrari77

I figure we could say the same things about Arsenal fans right? It seems he is usually the one bearing the brunt of criticism for both Arsenal and Germany. Obviously playing some part when things have gone wrong for both but yeah still a bit unfair as well.

18. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

The "weak" and "strong" are a copy&paste formatting error and the titles of the two columns. Was also confused before I checked the site directly.

ferrari77 likes this.
  19. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Bayern are not selling him anyhow, he's a key piece for our future.

20. Fantasma Negro

Coman is a long shot, I really want Usman Dembele. Barcelona broke the bank to bring him in then barely played him but he's such a smooth skilled winger that can create from any angle. He's familiar with Aubameyang and Mkhitaryan and Sokratis for that matter, he'd be a perfect fit