1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Grade the Rockets offseason so far...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 1Deep, Jul 3, 2018.

?

Grade the Rockets offseason so far

1. A

2 vote(s)
    1.1%
  2. B

11 vote(s)
    6.0%
  3. C

30 vote(s)
    16.3%
  4. D

28 vote(s)
    15.2%
  5. F

54 vote(s)
    29.3%
  6. Incomplete

59 vote(s)
    32.1%
  1. 1Deep

1Deep Member

Positives
    Re-signed CP3
    Re-signed GG
    Draft

Negatives
    Failed to add PG or LeBron
    Lost Ariza
    Signed CP3 to 4yr Max
    Haven't found a taker for Ryno

I listed the re-signing of CP3 in both the positive and negative columns simply because I believe there are both positive and negative aspects to the deal.

I'm a little down on Daryl and the crew so far to be honest, but if they're able to keep Clint and work out a trade that rids us of Ryno and adds a serviceable wing or two that would turn this offseason into a success in my opinion.

How do you feel about the offseason so far?

2. cml750

cml750 Member

Other than losing Ariza, we are not in too bad of shape. Capela will be re-signed and Morey will find a 3 and D guy to come in to replace Ariza. Anyone who seriously thought LeDiva was coming here should get their head examined.

Everyone should relax, Morey knows what he is doing and may very well make moves everyone hates at the time that turn out to be great players. He has a proven track record.

Deckard and thedreamsteam like this.
  3. mockster

mockster Member

They got worse so far

slapyomoma and lw17 like this.
  4. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

Way too early to tell at this point, but barring some blockbuster trade that involves us getting a tier 1 or tier 2 type player, i dont think they'll get anything higher than a B from me in this offseason.

If they're obsessed with beating GSW, so far, GSW just got even better with Boogie (come playoffs time). If Boogie comes back even 75% of himself, that's a significantly better team than what the Rockets have right now.

lw17 likes this.
  5. broteinshake

broteinshake Member

Objectively speaking, we did NOT get better - we actually got a slight notch worse (losing Ariza). While FA still isn't over, we haven't done anything to improve ourselves in even the slightest of ways. With all the bullshit GSW is doing, and the Lakers already gaining momentum (faster than we know) - we NEED to do more GAINING rather than maintaining.

We need more than just rotation players, we need IMPACT players if we want to even stand a chance with these Gamesharked Warriors. It's not a pessimistic thought, this is REAL ****.

Tillman needs to put his money where his mouth is - he said hes willing to pay if it means winning. Well time to pay up Mr. Billionaire, I'm pretty sure you're gonna be alright even after spending a few millions.

PDJACK7 likes this.
  6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It could have been worse if CP3 left Houston. I'm a bit upset that DM has not been able to utilize the 5.29 M MLE. He shouldn't have let Ariza get away so easily. Even a small S/T wouldn't have been bad. He is wasting his time with MCW, which is making me mad.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  7. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

F and Morey should be fired.

CK Johnson likes this.
  8. PolarBear

PolarBear Contributing Member

It's too early for a final grade, but the early returns are clear: Golden State, Los Angeles and OKC all got a lot better, and we're weaker than we started.

Once OKC sheds Carmelo's bad contract (in the final year), their core players are all young and signed for a long time: Westbrook (29), PG (26), and Adams (24). Add to that Grant, Roberson (back from injury), and bargain basement pickup in Nerlens Noel, and they are young & should be very good.

Golden State adds Cousins for the second half of the season, everyone else of significance returns, and they have ZERO bad contracts.

The Lakers have Rondo & Ball at point guard, plus KCP, LeBron, Kurzma, Ingram, Stevenson and McGee. Not a bad 8-man rotation before adding in more pieces or trades. They're in much better cap position than Houston, OKC or GS with little long term money tied up beyond LeBron, and only Deng's bad contract (at $18M for each of the next 2 years) yet to shed.

We've lost our best wing defender, found no taker for Ryno, and our team is getting old: Paul is 33, PJ is 33, Nene is 35, GG is 32, EG is 30, and Ryno is 30. Luc is about to turn 32 (if we sign him). Only two rotation guys are below 30: Harden at 28, and Capela (if we resign him) at 24. Ryno's contract is worse than Carmelo's or Deng's.

It would not surprise me if we drop from 1st to 4th in the WC this year.

#8 PolarBear, Jul 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    PDJACK7, lw17 and 1Deep like this.
  9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

way too early to grade. it's really hard, but we have to be patient and give Morey time to work his magic.

thedreamsteam likes this.
  10. bevo202

bevo202 Member

F, who in the west has not improved besides Pelicans and Us.

11. csc177

csc177 Member

Daryl wins executive of year and returns with a roster full of holes. We may not ever sniff the WCF again.

Potentially losing Capela, Luc

Losing Ariza

He’s got a LOT of work to do - and from the looks of (I know it’s early) but we got worse

12. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

James won MVP so we win!!! :eek:

lw17 likes this.
  13. mockster

mockster Member

I’m just saying we’re worse then last year. It’s great we resigned cp.

saleem likes this.
  14. 1Deep

1Deep Member

I'm just concerned there may not be any magic left to work. I guess I underestimated the cap hell we currently reside in and overestimated Harden and CP3's abilities as recruiters in getting guys to come to Houston for less $.

15. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Does it even matter? The warriors have 5 all stars. Not 1, Not 2, Not 3, Not 4,...

1Deep likes this.
  16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Yes, you are correct.

mockster likes this.
  17. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Let me help y'all with all the butthurt in this thread:

[​IMG]

Can't believe I'm saying this. A cowboys fan is making more sense than you guys. This is pitiful.

Exiled, justtxyank and cml750 like this.
  18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

This is the biggest salary Morey has had to work with and the closest he’s been to the cap.

Morey Magic was always about maneuvering with positive assets and cap space. We have neither except for Gordon and he’s almost non tradable because he might become Ariza’s replacement now.

19. rammo

rammo Member

[​IMG]

I’m giving us a Crocodile so far.

20. payaso

payaso Member

Any undervalued, unrestricted assets overseas right now? GM/Coach need to try to snatch the Popovich magic while the Spurs are jumping the shark.
    Otherwise, the fact that free agent season coincides with the most oppressive of summer climates on any NBA stop certainly can't help when it comes to everyone already in the league.