1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

XFL coming back?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Two Sandwiches, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Beavis Stiffler

They can use "Petroleros" which is spanish meaning "Oilers" or maybe the 36ers because 1836 is the year Houston was founded.

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Can't use anything related to 1836 (see Houston Dynamo original name controversy).

Beavis Stiffler likes this.
  3. Beavis Stiffler

I was wondering if Houston gets a team from the XFL or any other pro football league, where will they play? I don't think Bob McNair would want another pro football team in NRG Stadium. I'm guessing either TDECU Stadium or maybe Minute Maid Park, I think the configurations at MMP is good enough for a football game.

4. Poloshirtbandit

BBVA? TSU uses it for football.

5. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I'd guess it would be TDECU or BBVA Compass. Both UH and the Dynamo, I'm sure, would love to collect that rent, and those venues are probably about the right size for something like that.

I can see Minute Maid playing host to a neutral site college football game or a bowl game if the deal with NRG for the Texas Bowl ever falls through. There's a precedent for this happening. Wrigley hosted Illinois/Northwestern (although that game had logistical issues with the configuration), Yankee Stadium annually hosts a bowl game, Marlins Park has hosted a bowl game, AT&T park in SF hosted a bowl game, and Safeco Field in Seattle hosted a bowl game once a upon a time. These types of events can be moneymakers for the host stadium and they create limited wear and tear on the playing surface.

But I just can't see the Astros being OK with risking having the playing surface torn up, not to mention things like potentially being able to see yard markers and such during baseball games.

6. leroy

NO! The field has a hard enough time with TSU playing on it. It was horrible at the end of the Dynamo season and into their playoff games.

Beavis Stiffler likes this.
  7. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

XFL wont care about player safety. So...when the lawsuits come after a year in, the league will die again.

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I said a couple of months ago the XFL could return in this day and age and actually have a chance to work.

Here is why:

I believe the XFL could work much better in the social media era. The main problem before is we weren't invested in any of the players. They were faceless. Faceless football will never work, and since they won't attract any real NFL talent, they will need to attract ex-NFL talent.

If they developed a weekly "reality" show that provided insider views and things like that, it would also help further the brand.

If the XFL could land guys like Tebow, Manziel, etc and committed itself to a strong social media presence, with players required to do 5 minute video blogs per week as part of their contracts, there IS potential it could carve out a niche as an alternative to the NFL.

With that being said, the product is never going to be great with the talent pool available, but all they really need to do is sign a couple of "faces" to make the thing stick.

If I was Vince McMahon, I'd spend all money possible on getting Tebow or Manziel on board. Pay them whatever they want and market the **** out of them.

This thing will never work unless you get the faces.

plutoblue11 likes this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

Ha. Hahaahahaha.....HAAAAAHAAAAAAAA

Sajan likes this.
  10. J.R.

J.R. Member

WWE's Vince McMahon looks to start professional football league

Is it time for the return of the XFL?

Sources have confirmed to ESPN that WWE founder and chairman Vince McMahon will announce that he will make another attempt at starting a professional football league.

Alpha Entertainment, a company formed by McMahon, issued a media advisory Thursday saying that McMahon would have a "major sports announcement" on Thursday afternoon.

Last month, WWE filed paperwork with the Securities and Exchange Commission stating that McMahon would sell approximately $100 million in stock to fund Alpha Entertainment, a company founded to make investments "including professional football."

It is not clear whether McMahon will use the name XFL, the ill-fated football league that he co-owned with NBC and that lasted only one season in 2001, but Alpha has filed trademarks for that name.​

11. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

12. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

What makes you think XFL would come to Houston? I would put teams in markets that don’t have NFL.

juanm34 likes this.
  13. solid

solid Contributing Member

I think the timing is perfect. It is likely to succeed. The NFL has lost a bigger chunk of its audience than it seems to be aware of. Corporations buy most of the season tickets, and there were a number of empty seats through the season. More than I have ever seen before. The TV audience was down 10-15%.

14. Nook

Nook Member

Not going to work but McMahon’s money to waste.

Sajan likes this.
  15. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I'm not confident this is going to work either.

There are just too many examples of the public not being interested in "lesser" professional sports. We watch college sports, sure, but I think that's really considered a separate product altogether rather than a lesser version of the same sport.

Minor league baseball does OK for itself, but I think that's almost entirely because of the direct tie-ins to an MLB team and the prospecting aspect, where literally EVERY future star in the sport goes through at least one stop in the minors. The G-League (or the D-League as it used to be called), for example, isn't nearly as successful because the top players pass this step altogether and the league ends up being more of a holding tank for projects and players who just aren't quite good enough.

The closest thing you have to a successful lesser pro sports league, at least that I can come up with, is arena football, but even that has been fraught with financial issues. The AFL has dissolved and been rebuilt a couple of times in recent years, and teams seem to come and go annually. Recently, there have also been start-up indoor football leagues, which has created a situation where the AFL isn't even necessarily the top indoor league anymore.

I just don't see what niche this league fills. It's going to have lesser players. It's not going to be a direct minor league for the NFL, and it doesn't even have something to make it markedly different, the way arena football does.

Sajan likes this.
  16. Sajan

Sajan Member

Yes because the one thing we need is more football /sarcasm.

Who okays these dumb ideas? Aren't there other ways to waste your money?

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Football is more commercials than actual play. Until they fix that it will not entertain people born after 1993.

plutoblue11 likes this.
  18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I don't care about most NFL games. I can't imagine I'd be very interested in XFL games. I wasn't the first time they tried. Not saying that my opinion will determine the viability of the league :) just commenting.

19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

What....no jokes yet? You served this softball up on Friday. I am disappointed in Clutchfans.

20. leroy

Too easy.