1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Medical Coverage Question

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by LongTimeFan, Sep 28, 2017.

1. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Long shot...

I have a distant relative who lives in California. He does not have health insurance. He came to Texas on a trucking route, where he became very ill. When they got him to the hospital, they found out he has both brain and lung cancer. However, they're now stuck -- the hospital does not want to continue to treat him as he is uninsured and he is not stable enough to travel back to California without medical transport - which they will not provide.

I've gotten to the point of exhausting all resources I know, so I figured I'd throw a hail mary and see if anyone on CF would have a suggestion on what they could do.

They do not qualify for MD Anderson financial assistance or others because he is not a Texas resident. They did apply and get approved for California Medi-cal (CM), but CM won't pay for a transfer or treatment at the hospital.

I'm honestly at a loss for what to tell them, but I want to help...

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Sounds like something you should take to his Congressman's office. Sorry to hear about this, difficult situation.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  3. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

trucking route?

can he go back to his home country to get treatment or medical care?

4. Roscoe Arbuckle

Medical transport by ground should run $5-7,000. Not much to pay if you're trying to save someone's life (or at least prolong it.)

5. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

6. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

"Nobody dies because they don't have access to health care" says Trump fans.

This country needs Medicare for all Americans.

7. Roscoe Arbuckle

With a $10,000 deductible? I agree.

8. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Keep the D&D garbage in the D&D.

9. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

If he has both brain and lung cancer, my limited knowledge tells me he is nearing the end of the road. Hospice may be what he needs, I am afraid to say.

10. Exiled

Exiled Member

You have a few options:
    Usually ,his Oncologist can try to divert the patient to clinical trial if he can convince the drugs company

If the system allow, his Oncologist can take him from the ER backdoor

The other option (depends on his case,) is to take steroids for his les. ,it would be sufficient to transport him on a regular flights,maybe the airline can provides some assistance as well

off the counter (Melatonin),can him a lot. If you have his medical records, kindly send it to me

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

What a raw circumstance. Medical is pretty generous for low-no income people. It's one of those things that makes paying a ridiculous 10% to the state more bearable.