1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

WR is in bad shape.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Dankstronaut, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

holy hell.

Fuller is IR might return later this season...Braxton Is hurt and kinda starting to get a glass man reputation...now Hopkins has a hand issue...

Strong and Ellington both made legit cases for a 53 spot. Assuming the 3 aforementioned return healthy at some point...is that your 5? Who carries a spot until fuller returns and even at that, Ellington looked better than either fuller or Miller and he's been here a week.

Anderson seems ok. McCarron kinda sucks. I wouldn't really be ok with either making the team outside of absolute necessity.

I'm actually going to propose something a little out of the box...With Lamar Miller, Blue and Foreman looking like a Cerberus it would seem there isn't much opportunity or need for Hunt and Ervin outside of kick returning. Could one of those guys slide over and play some WR for time being?

2. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Wonder what Steve Smith has left in the tank. Right now it looks like Ellington might be the 2nd best wr on the team

Dankstronaut likes this.
  3. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Is Josh Gordon eligible yet? Also, nothing wrong with Ellington as #2, so long as he stays healthy. He is a beast. He would have naturally been a #3 imo with Fuller healthy. Maybe Strong shows more of his ability, he looked pretty slick on that slip on Malcolm Butler on Saturday for a td.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  4. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Bring in Anquan

Dankstronaut likes this.
  5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Keith Mumphery is still an fa

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The depth was already horrible if you think about it. After Hopkins and Fuller we have nothing of note

7. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

Riley McCarron is the Wes Welker look-a-like that the Texans have been raving about since early OTA's.
    When he gets play mixed with the starters during the season......Riley will get lost running routes
    underneath of Hopkins and Feidorowicz. Finding holes in the zones.....Texans finally run more
    picks (rub plays) like the Patriots. They get away with it.....why not us?

Hope Ellington can continue playing like he did after a couple of days of practice.

8. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Texans have never had 2 legit WRs. Nothing new here.

Let me know when we have a real QB.

9. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Because they do it every down. Texans do it once a quarter.

McCarron sucks and shares one quality with welker and it isn't a football related one. He's Travis Labhart 2.0 not welker. The guy stumbles every time the ball comes near him. The moment is too big for him, let alone the playbook.

10. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Andre/ Kevin Walter....still the best #2 receiver lol

houstonstime and RasaqBoi like this.
  11. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Whoah, whoah, whoah. Jacboby is coming around and showing flashes. Lestars control of his big body is promising and showing some flashes.

Nook and RasaqBoi like this.
  12. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

@Derp McFlopsky

You will see grasshopper. When you have him with the big fish named Hopkins (getting double teamed
    with cover-2 every play) and Feidorowicz going up the seam and Miller/Blue/& now D'Onta threatening
    to get a check down pass out of the back field......Riley will do what slot receivers do. Work underneath.

Welker is a coach with the Texans and has been working with him. Riley runs the good routes with very
    good speed. He is surpassing Braxton Miller as the top slot receiver, because Braxton seems to be hurt
    more often than not. Those are the two top slot receivers I see with the Texans.

1) Hopkins (did not play this last preseason game.......at same time as McCarron).
    2) Fuller
    3) Ellington
    4) Strong

4) Braxton Miller 5) Riley McCarron

Wendell Williams and Dres Anderson are trash. Chris Thompson is only good on special teams.

Texans will be scouting for those cut by other teams.

red5rocket likes this.
  13. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

I don't think Riley even makes this team to be honest. Over hyped in practice. Shown nothing to make a NFL roster. Also Wes Welker being a coach means nothing to me.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  14. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Uh, thanks I understand the concepts of football well enough there sensei.

Stumbles needs a whole lot to go for him it sounds like. Welker ran better routes than anyone ever, McCarron isn't in the same galaxy.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sounds a whole lot like this year's Lestar Jean. He hasn't really done anything when he's been given time in preseason games, and sure he's had to deal with Watson and Weeden, but I don't think that's a good enough excuse.

If he doesn't really step it up and show that he can do something in these next 2 pre-season games, he's done for. Given how strong the RB corps is right now, I just couldn't see cutting one of them to keep him.

16. HstnSprtsFan101

I think he's got a little more upside than Labhart did. He's got legit speed, with that being said he probably won't make the team. Our #5 WR should probably be whoever the Pats don't keep tbh

Dankstronaut likes this.
  17. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

@Derp McFlopsky @Bobbythegreat @RasaqBoi

Define slot receiver in the Patriots offense or Erhardt-Perkins scheme:

Might read something like-
    ability to get off the line of scrimmage and work in the flats, shallows or drag across the middle vs
    mostly safeties and linebackers. Shifty player who can run good routes and find holes in the defense
    while being a possession receiver, as they are often inserted in 3-receiver sets and often asked
    to work behind or near the line of scrimmage as a means of moving the chains as a safety valve.

I like Labhart.....as did the Texans; he just couldn't stay healthy.

Riley ran a 4.36 at his pro day while displaying a 40.5 inch vertical leap.

In the preseason teams want their defensive players to play man-to-man. You are not seeing the true value
    of what McCarron will bring the team. Wes Welker was considered nothing before joining the Patriots.
    That's where Belichick and Tom Brady transformed his game (in the Erhardt-Perkins scheme....helped by picks)
    Riley has the body and skill sets of Amendola, Cole Beasley, Julian Edelman,......Cowboys love this Switzer kid
    for the very same reasons. People are looking at jitters in the first preseason game and then going up against
    the Super Bowl champs (one of the deepest teams in the league as a barometer. Amazing. Not every team is
    like nor as deep as the Patriots.

http://www.khou.com/sports/nfl/texans/obrien-riley-mccarron-is-the-spitting-image-of-wes-welker/465051640

http://scout.com/nfl/texans/Article/Riley-McCarron-Putting-Together-a-Strong-Camp-for-the-Houston-Te-105892671

Some are not seeing the forrest through the trees. Big picture. This week vs the Saints 30-something ranked
    defense last year will probably have many starters going 3-quarters. I expect Savage to only play the first half.
    Look for McCarron to get significant time......Watson has mostly shotgun 3-receiver sets. Note if Riley is
    going up against a safety or linebacker. I've mostly seen him vs a slot corner......which he will have to get
    separation from in the regular season. That's where the pick play comes in so regularly for the Patriots.

red5rocket likes this.
  18. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Yeah well, the time is now. He's got all the opportunity in the world to make a name for himself on this team so let's see it.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  19. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Coaches know this which is why all RBs have been lining up and catching passes so far this pre-season. The patriot way lol.

20. HstnSprtsFan101

McCaron and other UFA's don't have the luxury that draft picks do in being able to start a little slower but be all but guaranteed a roster spot. He's gotta show it in game 3. I wonder if he's even being considered as a serious option though. I'd say PS is likely.

RasaqBoi likes this.