1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden on current Rockets: 'I love what we have'

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stormy1234, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Stormy1234

Stormy1234 Member

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18646825/james-harden-says-want-houston-rockets-make-trades
    1:41 PM CT
    • [​IMG]
      Calvin WatkinsESPN Staff Writer
    HOUSTON -- With the trade deadline nearly two weeks away, one of the more powerful voices in the Houston Rockets organization wants to the team to stay put.

"I love what we have, love it," leading scorer MVP candidate James Harden said Wednesday. "From top to bottom, we have depth. You can throw any guy in there and they know their role, that's important. I'm going to ride with these guys for sure."

"I love what we have, love it. From top to bottom, we have depth. You can throw any guy in there and they know their role, that's important. I'm going to ride with these guys for sure."

[​IMG]
    James Harden

Rockets GM Daryl Morey is noted for trades, small and large. He made one during last season's 41-41 season and another two years ago when the team reached the Western Conference finals.

According to sources, the Rockets expressed interest in acquiring another shooter and were in serious discussions with Cleveland for a Mike Dunleavy Jr. deal which would have included K.J. McDaniels but pulled out. Dunleavy Jr. was later traded to Atlanta.

Houston looked into signing free agent guards Mario Chalmers and Jarrett Jack but haven't pulled the trigger. With Harden taking over the primary ball-handling duties, the Rockets want to add another ball-handler to take pressure off him and Patrick Beverley, who moves to point guard with the second unit. There is also some interest in Orlando power forward Serge Ibaka, who is apparently is on the trade block. Ibaka scored 28 points in 40 minutes in the Magic's loss at Houston on Tuesday night. Ibaka would bring a defensive presence and another shooter that could fit into Mike D'Antoni's offense. In late December when the Rockets lost starting center Clint Capela to a fractured fibula, ESPN's Marc Stein reported Houston entertained acquiring Sacramento center Kosta Koufos.

"I think if we do anything, it will be for depth," Morey told ESPN. "I don't see any big things happening. We got a good thing, a good rotation, good chemistry. I'm pretty reluctant to make any changes there."

Houston has the third best record in the NBA and has emerged with Harden, as the MVP leader, D'Antoni one of the favorites for Coach of the Year and Eric Gordon for Sixth Man of the Year award. Houston has strong victories over Golden State, San Antonio, Oklahoma City and Memphis.

Rockets officials believe it's difficult to make a deal considering how strong the team is playing and don't want to disturb the chemistry that has developed.

Yet, Morey made three in-season trades during the 2014-15 season where the Rockets won 56 games and reached the West finals.

"We're good," Harden said. "I've been riding with these guys for some years now, and some (players) are new and it's the same [good] thing. This summer we got the guys together and I said this is the roster and this is who we're going to war with and let's figure it out."

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Before anyone freaks out (I've already seen a few on Twitter), please keep in mind that this is essentially what Harden and Morey HAVE to say publicly. Not saying it's not true, but the nature of the question boxes them in. If either says "Yeah, we're hoping to make a splash move!", then it comes across as not showing confidence in the current group (38-17, No. 3 seed) and/or it gets players in that locker room wondering if they're someone that would leave in such a deal. In other words, it's a distraction.

If a trade happens, it happens. Deal with it then. But there's no upside to the Rockets talking up the chances beforehand. Only downside. It's not fully within their control, so from a PR standpoint, they've got to emphasize what IS within their control -- which is the current guys on the roster.

The most interesting takeaways in that article, to me, are the Chalmers/Jack references and the "some interest" in Ibaka confirmation.

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

TheMystery008 and BigMaloe like this.
  4. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

Every single big man we play against has a career high against us. If we end up against the jazz in the playoffs and gobert does to Clint what boozer did to Yao and we lose I will be very pissed off.

D-rock likes this.
  5. OTMax

OTMax Member

Basically just an article anybody on the internet could've written based off of twitter feeds, forums and other trash (ESPN) writers' articles earlier this year.

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Jazz or Grizzlies. I am worried about them. Nene can only do so much in terms of being a physical presence in the paint. Rockets could use more of that.

7. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Just building leverage for trades.

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Referring to all his teammates as interchangeable role players, yet none of them by name. Same sentiment as the infamous quote about him and Howard and a box full of role players.

whooops

#8 heypartner, Feb 8, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    Stormy1234 and DonKnock like this.
  9. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Translation:

- I have an Owner in Le$ who has already told me my jersey will be retired and has informed me that I am the final say in all basketball decisions.
    - I have a GM in Maury who I hold by the balls. I have him by the cojones and he will do whatever is requested by me. I am the real GM.
    - I have an athletic trainer in greasy Keith Jones who will get my steaks and burgers well cooked and on time.

Bottom

- I have my personal towel waiver, cheer leader and body guard in Bobby Brown who will do whatever it takes.
    - I also have Tyler Anus and Corey Brewer, my boys to hit up Treasures and TMC with.

10. heypartner

What is in Harden's control is mentioning his teammates by name and their individual, unique contributions ... vs lumping them altogether like a box of mix and match crayons.

Plus, if we want to get into a game of over-thinking PR spin, isn't it better for trades to talk up your hand by name.

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

@heypartner Harden could either name all 14 of the other players by name or else just use the collective. I think looking at that as the negative is being a bit harsh.

12. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

13. basketballholic

James Harden is a terrible General Manager.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I don't see the Rockets making any major deal that would drastically reshape the roster. Harden, Capela(based on his cheap contract alone), Gordon, Ariza, Bev, Nene, and Dekker(again based on his cheap contract) aren't going anywhere. Anderson I'm certain would be dealt for the right player(s). Harrell is probably available. And I'm sure Morey would love to dump Brewer's contract.

But when you've consistently got the 3rd or 4th best record in the league and are about to enter a relatively soft stretch of the schedule where you can solidify your positioning in the standings, you don't screw with that. Not unless one helluva good player can be had for a reasonable price.

Patience and Stormy1234 like this.
  15. heypartner

It doesn't upset me, like it did a lot of people when he said a similar thing about him and Howard.

You remember the 66-page,
    Harden: "Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players..."

But it isn't either mention all 14 or not, like you say. Surely, MDA wouldn't say, I like this team of Harden and our role players, without mentioning some of the players by name. I'm sure it's just a slip. As he's made mention of the importance of his teammates by name a lot this year. Let's hope it doesn't become a big media bashing of Harden, like it did in 2014.

16. mightybosstone

The Rockets have enough assets and pieces to make a deal without completely reworking the current rotation. They could use another playmaking and/or shooting guard and another defensive big. And there are guys out there Morey could get that wouldn't break the bank or require the Rockets to deal away a core piece.

Stormy1234 likes this.
  17. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

It's a post-practice interview he's trying to get done with in 2-3 minutes, not the State of the Union address. :)

I think he'll probably do a more extended interview over the break.

Richie_Rich and Stormy1234 like this.
  18. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

Rockets trade Tyler Ennis for the rights to Sergei Lishouk's brother.

Sergei Lishouk's brother is someone we've liked for a long time. We're glad we were able to finally bring him over. We really like him & think he can help us as we make a push for home court in the playoffs. I think Mike can and will find a way to use him but we think he can be a great player for us off the bench.

We thought we had some other [bigger] deals lined up but obviously that didn't happen. I like our roster. I think we have a good roster that's gonna make a push here for home court. We want home court. That was our goal coming into the season, that's still our goal. I think we can do it. Obviously we're not the favorites in the West - Golden State & San Antonio obviously - but we like our chances in the first round. Coach of the Year Mike D'Antoni & the no doubt MVP in my mind James Harden, we like our chances. Now we still have to go out & play but we feel good about our chances.

19. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

That boy crazy! IF HE KNOW WHAT WE GOT, THEN HE ALSO KNOW WE GOING TO EXIT THE PLAYOFFS EARLY WITH NO INTERIOR DEFENSE! He crazy! Don't stand pat!

20. 18pbr

18pbr Member

Nope, I am sorry Harden he said that last year and it turned out to be a disaster. When the Lawson and Harden was clearly not working he was an advocate of trying to be patient and give it more time. I truly believe we are one more wing/guard and defensive big guy to contend in the playoffs.