1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Refs. make the games "more interesting"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by varughese.arun, Jan 3, 2017.

1. varughese.arun

Before the season started I said that the 2017 Rockets team, barring injuries, are a 3 or 4 seed. If the roster remains the same, and slight adjustments are made, then I think this team is capable of getting to the finals this year... BARRING ANY DOUCHEBAGGERY FROM THE REFEREES!

For decades, the NBA has continued to disregard the diehard fan as idiots and fail to address the problem. We have the technologies available to correct this problem but the NBA chooses not to address the problem head on. The main problem is that REFEREES MISS BLATANT CALLS, and also CALL MYSTERIOUS FOULS WHICH DO NOT EXIST. The passerby fan may not understand the importance of a "missed call" in the 1st quarter. However, the avid fan understands that the "flap of a butterfly's wing in Brazil can set off a cascade of events that, later, spurs the formation of a tornado in Texas." Currently, Fouls are Arbitrary in the NBA. REFS MAKE CALLS TO CHANGE/ALTER A TEAMS MOMENTUM. Officiating is NOT consistent across the board. LeBron James traveling is not the same as Corey brewer traveling. A foul in the regular season is not the same as a foul in playoffs. Foul in 1st quarter is not the same as a foul in 4th quarter. Here are some of the reasons why I think the NBA chooses not to address these problems.

REVENUE SHARING
    - Profits from a games are POOLED and then split between the two teams playing. We all want the superstar to win, even if it means our team will loose.

ANTI-TRUST EXEMPTIONs
    Anti trust laws exist so that large businesses don't become too powerful, form a monopoly, and ADJUST THE MARKET PRICE FOR A GOOD.
    - There is more than just the obvious reason why LeBron is valued so highly.

NBA is an ENTERTAINMENT BUSINESS.
    High TV ratings equal more money. Therefore, the NBA does whatever necessary to "give the people what they want." The NBA wants their superstars to succeed, for example:
    - Kobe Bryant can NOT be left out of the playoffs, so UTAH is forced out of the playoffs race via terrible officiating and Lakers cover an 8 game defect just before the start of playoffs.
    - In the OKC vs. HEAT finals, the young Durant, Westbrook, and Harden are robbed of an NBA titles so that the larger narrative of LEBRON, Bosh, and Wade are vindicated as the best.
    - GSW get away with illegal screens all year and wins 73.
    - In 2016 finals Dremond Green convinently gets ejected, sends series to game 7 and LeBron finally brings championship to cleaveland.

What can us fans do?
    If you see, or have seen questionable calls from refs then REFUSE TO FINANCIALLY SUPPORT NBA, and VOICE YOUR OPINION ON ALL PLATFORMS. I do not think the "system is rigged" by any means. However, I do think there are obvious efforts the NBA can employ to address discrepancies in the game. Yet they do not.

THE NBA WILL HANG ONTO LEBRON'S COATTAIL AS LONG AS POSSIBLE. If fans don't express their displeasure then other stars like JAMES HARDEN will be snubbed. Call out BS when you see it, and voice your opinions. Furthermore, voice your opinions in support of JAMES HARDEN, so the NBA realizes that THE BEARD can be the next poster child of the NBA... Imagine that!

#1 varughese.arun, Jan 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  2. crazeazn

crazeazn Member

less weed

Garner, Lawlruschang and Hustle Town like this.
  3. varughese.arun

Completely sober. I think Harden is the real deal. ALL you have to do is believe my friend. @crazeazn

rocketsfan611 likes this.
  4. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Seriously if you really want to b**** about this, were you the one whose actually smiling and cheering when Draymond Green put his foot on Harden's face?

5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

6. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

It's kind of funny that you call out Lebron's travel not being equal to Brewers...have you forgotten this epic gem?

7. varughese.arun

@Texanasiafan hmmm... I'm not sure if this came across as "b****ing." just stating my opinion. I don't know what I said to make you think I'd be happy with green kicking Harden in the face. But just to be clear no I was not smiling when that happened, and thought the refs assessed the play properly.

gifford1967 likes this.
  8. varughese.arun

Ha... well played.
    I hope that doesn't deflect from the central point.

9. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

So what you are saying is :

Green kicking Lebron's nut is actually ok and should not be called a foul and his suspension is so unfair, but on the other hand, when he kicked Harden, it will be a different story.

And you want to cry about "unfair justice by the ref"?

LMAO.

10. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Haters gonna hate,

and suckers gonna suck.

11. varughese.arun

Dang, why are you so angry man, You sound like you need a hug hug bro...
    I'm not sure what you're talking about bc Green never kicked LeBron "in the nut." The kick to harden's face was an obvious violation for which Green was immediately penalized. however, the incident you are referring to bw LeBron and green was not as obvious, and he was only penalized for that incident much later. Also, you quote me as saying "unfair juatice." I never said that.

Pen15clubber and DudeWah like this.
  12. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

Le$ weed is pretty good ****. Combine it with MDmA and you have yourself a nice little time.

Plowman and Angkor Wat like this.
  13. varughese.arun

Dang... I guess the rest of clutchfans have more faith in refs than I do.

14. bongman

bongman Member

Not sure how you can ensure. We can do all the things you are prescribing but that does not guarantee anything

15. varughese.arun

Yes, yes, a very good point indeed.

16. jayfree

jayfree Member

Conspiracy theorist galore!

17. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Btw, Lebron never said that and the referenced interview is on youtube. It's some rumor that someone made up.

The NBA favors entertainment by making rule changes which then filters down automatically to how the referees officiate. The NBA has contracts with media outlets and they will enforce their preferences because those media outlets are on their knees for those contracts. The owners understand this whole thing and they want to make money, however an NBA team is not a good investment so it's not exactly true they are only in it for the money.

There's no nefarious thing going on, no secret meetings, it's all out in the open. At the end of the day players can change the narrative, terrible plays happen, terrible management decisions. There is a bias towards ratings, but there are no guarantees. The Warriors could have beaten the Cavs even without Draymond. The refs wouldn't have been able to throw Green out if he wasn't a first class pos all the time.

It's a corporation like any corporation. No different than MSNBC or McDonald's or Wells Fargo. The NBA does a stellar job of its PR and achieving its goals, and sometimes it happens in a very aggressive top down way (particularly when they want to punish a player that tries to hurt their image or highlight the bias towards owners) but most of the time it's just like any company: the board of directors will set goals and policies and everyone else must play along or go play for less fame and money.

18. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

I read through this whole page and have no idea wtf is going on but I just about died laughing at "kicked Lebron in the nut"

19. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

Yeah, I don't know wtf is going on here either, man. It's like a projectile vomit of some sort, and somebody should probably grab a mop and clean some of this **** up.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  20. varughese.arun

Guys... I am not saying it is a conspiracy. The NBA does these things out in the open. The NBA provides us fans a product. No where in the rules does it state penalties for "shaving points," or establish regulatory means to curb these actions.

As consumers, it is OUR DUTY to demand the product we want!