1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Man doesn't follow police commands, gets popped after reaching into car in Tulsa

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Sep 19, 2016.

1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Everybody repeat after me: Follow.police.commands.and.you.won't.get.shot.

The article says that Crutcher didn't follow police commands, and the police even tried to taze him first, before Crutcher foolishly reached inside his vehicle, which was a threat to police.

..but I'm sure we'll hear from our friends at BLM in order to divide everybody on this incident.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/terence-crutcher-tulsa-man-fatally-shot-by-police-had-no-gun-chief-says/

TULSA, Okla. -- A black man fatally shot by a white Tulsa, Oklahoma, police officer responding to a stalled vehicle had no weapon on him or in his SUV, the city’s police chief said Monday.

An investigation is underway into Friday’s shooting death of 40-year-old Terence Crutcher, Tulsa Police Chief Chuck Jordan said, just before the department released dashcam footage of the shooting.
    “We will achieve justice in this case,” Jordan said.

Meanwhile, a federal prosecutor says the U.S. Department of Justice has opened a civil rights investigation into the shooting.

Authorities said the shooting occurred after an officer stopped to investigate a vehicle in the middle of a road. Police said Crutcher approached after officers arrived to assist. Police investigators said Crutcher refused several orders to show his hands and when he reached back into his car one officer deployed a Taser while another officer fired one shot, reports CBS affiliate KOTV.

The video shows Crutcher with his hands in the air as officers direct him to walk towards a vehicle, which is stopped in the middle of the road, and place his hands on it. At one point he’s seen lowering one hand and he’s surrounded by police officers, making it harder to see his actions from the police dashboard camera’s angle. Police also released helicopter footage of the incident, but his movements are obscured by the car in that footage.

Crutcher can be seen dropping to the ground.

Someone on the police radio says, “I think he may have just been Tasered.” One of the officers near Crutcher backs up slightly.

Then almost immediately, someone can be heard saying, “Shots fired.” Crutcher’s head then drops, leaving him lying motionless.

After that a voice can be heard on the police radio saying, “Shots fired. We have one suspect down.”

2. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

That's not true:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3upNOUmjJVE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uE-gRCq8as4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And those are just the ones we have on video, not all the ones where the cop's side of the story doesn't happened to be contradicted with recorded evidence, and so it is just believed prima facie .

3. bigtexxx

^^

You clearly didn't watch Crutcher's video. You have to admit that not following police commands increases your chance of getting popped. They even tried to taze Crutcher first.

4. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

Nah. That cop woke up today and said, "I feel like killing someone today. Better yet, I feel like killing a black man. Hopefully I pull one over! Im done with my current well being and dont care to see my family anymore."

1 person likes this.
  5. HamJam

I watched it. I'm not saying Crutcher wasn't disobeying police commands or that not doing so led to them dying (though, why cops used a gun in this case instead of a taser I do not understand at all, and think was very irresponsible).

My point wasn't about Crutcher, it was about your statement that cops won't shoot you if you follow their orders. It simply isn't true, as my post demonstrates.

6. bigtexxx

They did try a taser first

7. HamJam

Very good, I'll keep that in mind as I continue to read about the case as more information comes out.

But, I'll reiterate, the point of my thread wasn't about Crutcher, it was about your statement that cops won't shoot you if you obey their commands. They'll shoot you less often, sure -- but, apparently, they might still shoot you

8. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

If you are outraged about this video, put yourself in this position really quick. If you wake up to a stranger in your home and you have a gun (you dems just pretend, I know guns are just nasty to yall) and you have the gun pointed at the person but they keep moving towards their large bag across the room. Keep in mind, you are fearing for your life, and are telling this person to stop, but they keep going for that bag. You are going to assume they are going for a weapon. What does your instinct say? Shoot before they get theirs. You dont know what is in that bag! Doesnt matter if they didnt have a weapon.

So in this case, the guy does in fact have his hands up but he is set on getting to his car, even though the officers have him at gun point, telling him to stop. Not sure if he actually was able to reach into his car but it looked like he got pretty damn close. Officers had no choice.

I dont like that he was shot dead, though. I wish he were disabled by them in a way that was effective (taser was not) but not lethal.

9. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

No....its the ****ing shoot first, ask questions later mode Police go to when they see a black or brown person.

10. bigtexxx

Aaaaand the racial pity party he begun

11. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

You created this thread with the intention of it turning out this way.

12. edwardc

edwardc Member

Classic texx trolling this is a case in which there was a over reaction by the cops there was no need to shoot him if he was already being tased the officer may have shot him by accident there was very little time that passed before she shot him.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I must say . . for a long time you tip toed the line
    I at least thought you tried . . a little
    but now
    YEa. . . . . you are what I think you are
    Here's your hood

[​IMG]

Rocket River
    I am done.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

2 people like this.
  16. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

From initially watching the video, I couldn't tell why they had weapons drawn on him or why he was tasered/shot. Was he a suspect in a crime? All I could find is that his car stalled in the road. Did police have any reason to believe he was violent?

17. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

It looks like he was tazed because he lowered his hand and then shot... on the ground.

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

apparently he abandoned his car on the road because he thought it was going to explode then ran away from it. Witnesses called the police. This is him returning to the car. Apparently he was shot with his hands up on the roof of his car but of course it is early so the facts are blurry still.

what's clear is that bigtexxx has an agenda to put his spin and make believe on this. It's really sad, and I do think shows he is in fact racially biased against blacks. This place is a true ****hole.

19. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...ice-shooting-of-unarmed-19-year-old-in-fresno

White 19 year-old mal shot to death in broad daylight for exiting his vehicle during a traffic stop.

Oh no, all my biases are confirmed.

#19 Cohete Rojo, Sep 19, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He wasn't obeying police orders and he kept heading to his vehicle. Cops are paranoid about that because they don't know what you have in your vehicle. There's plenty of videos of cops getting shot that start out very similar only as soon as they get to their car they pull a gun.

It really just comes down to the very simple "Do what cops say"

The guy who fired the shot is probably going to get fired, but no charges will be filed because no crime was committed.