1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pelicans' Jrue Holiday to miss start of season as pregnant wife faces brain surgery

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by NewRoxFan, Sep 5, 2016.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Extra prayers for Jrue Holliday, his wife and family...

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I did not know she was married to Jrue. I hope there are no complications.

3. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

I was just reading about her and the disparity in pay from an NBA player like Jrue and the elite in woman's soccer like his wife. She makes a decent living making in the low 6 figures with endorsement deals but she does a lot of traveling to earn that income.

Elite women soccer players think they deserve to earn more money but there are a lot of sports that are played for the love of the game and not the money. No way womens soccer pays anything unless there is stronger interest in the game.

4. icecreamman

icecreamman Member

The pelicans have had some bad luck for the past couple years. Hopefully everything will go smoothly for her and Jrue. Love watching jrue play but I respect the pelicans for allowing him to go on leave.

5. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

Maybe this is a little harsh but it's benign and she's expected to make a full recovery. But he still gets most of the season off?? If I were a fan I'd be a little pissed.

6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Scolandry

Scolandry Member

Smh.. people like you take sports too seriously especially when you're not even playing.

8. andersongo

andersongo Member

Just a tiny wee little bit.

9. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

You probably just don't know how bad your odds are if you have to go in for neuro surgery at all. Even in the best of circumstances, it's very, very risky. The odds of a complication are no joke when There's a hole in your skull.

10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Only took to post #5 for something this s***ty to be said. There's no maybe and it's a lot harsh. She's undergoing brain surgery. There's nothing about that that doesn't carry some significant risk. All while having just had a baby, too.

Any "fan" that has a problem with her taking the season off after having a baby AND brain surgery has some serious issues with their priorities in life...and they are no fan at all.

11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Having a child is life threatening and serious, even though 99.5% of women live it isn't without risk, and that doesn't consider wanting to spend time with his newborn (and likely needing to care for him/her because of his wife's condition). Brain Surgery is life threatening and serious, even though I'm sure a vast majority live. Family should always be a priority over your job.

I would be curious to if he will get paid or not. I assume the Pelicans are not under any kind of contract obligation to pay him while on this family medical leave. I'd assume this is FMLA leave or something similar. Good for him to take leave either way, and good for the Pelicans/NBA/NBAPA if they do have a mechanism for him to still get paid while caring for his family.

12. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I loved Jrues comments. Kudos to him for the way he respects his wife.

13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

If this was the NFL they might not pay him, but NBA has a much better Union so he might be getting paid.

14. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Jrue is doing it right. Either it's extremely rare for athletes to have extremely serious issues in their personal lives, or not many go his route and prioritize it over the team. Hard to know which, but good for him and the Pels either way.

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Single and childless?

16. icecreamman

icecreamman Member

this is not completely true. They will not know for sure until the tissue is removed and tested. Doctors can only say what they think it looks like on scans but until it is tested they don't know for sure. And it's brain surgery dude probably the most complex sort of surgery.

17. abaker28

abaker28 Member

Jrue is just lucky he's in a profession that he earns enough he can take that amount of time off. Good on the Pelicans also for supporting him and even providing a trainer so he can stay in shape.
    Hope all goes well with his wife and she recovers.

18. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

irrelevant.. don't need those things to be able to empathize. he just can't, it would seem

19. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

Man! Pelicans coaches and players girlfriends/ wives have had it bad lately.

20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

If he is married, he'd find himself single pretty fast.

Then again, my dad went out and got drunk the day I was born leaving my mom at the hospital alone. They were married another 16 years.