1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Live, in person, draft

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by DonkeyMagic, Aug 23, 2016.

1. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Seems silly but ...I'm joining coworkers in their league but they do an in person draft. I've only done FF for 3 years and my leagues have been all drafted online, I.e. ESPN.

These guys are using yahoo to track scores during the year but the actually draft is in person with a draft board. Sounds fun but my concern is keeping up with who's been taken/ who's available and plotting my potential picks. I'd like to mimic the live draft via computer because after many, many beers, I'm not going to be keeping up with paperwork very well. I perused ESPN/ yahoo for mock drafts but they all seem to be with other people.

I want a draft where I can control and log all current picks, then be able to sort and view who's available for my next selection.

Any recommendations...maybe I'm missing the obvious

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

It's really easy to follow along if there's an actual draft board. The picks take a little longer than the online drafts, so you have plenty of time to keep up. I always keep a spreadsheet going highlighting each field with a color depending on position.

Have fun, man! In person off-line drafts are the best. This will be our league's 14th season doing it and the draft if always the most fun part of the season.

1 person likes this.
  3. Jontro

Jontro Member

As long as you get one of the top two picks so you can get Brewer before anyone else can, you'll be fine with whoever else you pick.

4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

A good host will print out individual sheets with ranked players for each position on them to give out to all members, plus have a main one in front of the draft board so you can cross out all the drafted players as you go. If not you should bring some for back up.

ESPN has a pretty cool app/software you can download and track players offline. It acts like an online draft but offline.

1 person likes this.
  5. PhiSlammaJamma

A good host will also do this at Hooters.

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Um, no. A good host coordinates the time and location for the draft, makes sure all the players are available or have alternatives set-up and enters in all the picks after the draft. It ain't up to the host to make sure the drafters are prepared.

7. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks. I don't know why I didn't think of using a spreadsheet.

Ha. It was actually...but then 3 or 4 people all of a sudden couldn't make it, even though they've been planning this for a month. So now, because they are ****ty time managers, it's at the dude's house.

donkeypunch...are you referring to the regular espn fantasy football app?

8. donkeypunch

LOL. Potayto. Potahto.

Your view of 'good' varies from mine. What you just described was a host/league manager. Although, I agree that the host shouldnt have to make sure the drafters are prepared, I said a 'good' host would. It just makes the draft run all that much smoother.

Not only did I print out those player sheets, I printed out a blank roster sheet, so they could fill in their team in as they go. Along with setting up the time and location, making sure everybody was available and entering all the picks for each team. The blank roster sheets they fill out helps with the entering process. So i spent a little time to print out extra sheets to save a lot of time entering.

9. donkeypunch

Its not for your phone, its for you computer. Only league managers can access it though. Theyre the only ones that can upload the league onto it. Since youre doing yahoo, its kinda moot. There is a andorid/ios app called draft punk though. That would help you but I prefer the player sheets and just crossing them off as the draft goes.

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Screw that! If someone asks me for information during a draft, there's a decent chance they're not getting correct info. :)

11. donkeypunch

LOL. I agree. I never said I was giving out any draft info, just the rankings sheet. If anyone ever asks me, "Should I pick this person?", I always tell them either Jordan Shipley or Kordell Stewart.

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I say Mike Vanderjagt because the first year I ever played (2000), I did zero research before the draft. My buddy was driving down to Austin for the draft and called me to see who I was thinking about picking with my (well, ours...Major and I shared a team). Having just looked at a list of highest points scored the year before, I said "I dunno, maybe Vanderjagt?"

He was a good friend and saved us from the extreme embarrassment that would've caused.

13. RocketBlood

RocketBlood Contributing Member

How did your live draft go OP?

We use something similar to this

https://www.etsy.com/listing/465069489/2016-fantasy-football-draft-kit-includes?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_a-paper_goods_and_party_supplies-paper-stickers_labels_and_tags&utm_custom1=40deb761-6b3d-4819-a702-391b459213db&gclid=CN6p2sKM-84CFZKHaQodDLkHOA

It makes it super easy to have stickers so you know who is taken. (the Commisher should provide this)

Also like others have said always take notes and ranked players were you can cross them out, it will be super helpful. It can get tricky once drinking, getting up for the restroom, grabbing a beer..