1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ACA Update] The marketplace is failing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by justtxyank, Aug 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The death spiral continues to accelerate.

Over the next few days it will become official that in addition to United Healthcare, Scott and White, Aetna and Humana are exiting the health marketplace in Texas due billions of dollars in losses with no legislative fixes in sight.

United will no longer sell plans at all
    Aetna will continue to offer plans, just not on healthcare.gov and not eligible for a susbidy
    Scott & White will continue to offer Bronze plans off exchange, but no subsidy
    Humana will potentially offer plans in a limited number of counties throughout the country
    Memorial Hermann already refused to sell on healthcare.gov, but they will essentially end their own PPO for 2017

The last big shoe to drop is Blue Cross which has yet to formally announce its plans.

2. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

One more step closer to single payer system.

3. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

It looks like liberals are already moving on. Their next pitch is single payer.

I want to believe all the good stuffs they promise, however, it is really hard to give them the benefit of doubt after this Obamacare fiasco. I am supposed to save thousands more instead of it is just the opposite: I am paying thousands more and my eyes hurt just seeing those sky high deductibles.

1 person likes this.
  4. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

What is the proposed alternative in the "repeal and replace" plan? Health insurance costs were already spiraling out of control before Obamacare

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Sucks. I'd like to see some constructive repairs, but most of Congress is delighted to see the marketplace struggling, which is pretty messed up.

6. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Where is everyone? Government not working out for you?

7. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Since we're the only civilized Nation without it..I'd say its time is nigh

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The problem with the system is that people that actually need healthcare are using it, and the insurance companies are losing money. The republicans are ecstatic because they rather see Obama be wrong than help the American people.

Obamacare is going to fail in its current form unless they do something to curtail cost. Unfortunately the republicans in congress are doing everything in it's power to see it fail.

9. underoverup

underoverup Member

10. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

That is a shockingly bigoted remark. I wish I could say I was surprised to see it coming from a leftist such as yourself.

11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

It was always supposed to be single player. I don't know why Obama ever wavered.

12. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

The Republicans are not doing anything to "make" Obamacare fail. It is doing that entirely of it's own accord, just exactly as a great many people predicted in substantial detail before it was passed and certainly well before it was implemented.

You people need to learn to start taking responsibility for your actions. The only way this ever passed was by a breathtaking series of flat-out lies, corruption and payoffs on the floor of the US Senate, broadcast right out in the open for all the world to see. This fiasco is on Barack Obama and the Democrat left, and literally nobody else.

This is on you guys. You own it.

1 person likes this.
  13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This is an incredibly simplified version of what is going on.

People hitting up emergency rooms are the biggest problem.

14. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

This happened exactly as the detractors said it would.

The worst part is that the people who supported it are never gonna learn any lessons from this. They will do whatever mental gymnastics they have to convince themselves they didn't get it wrong. I expect lots of 'At least we tried' or 'it failed cause of obstructionism'

So many people where screwed over by this law and its supporters can't even be honest with themselves. Its so disheartening reading some of the supporter's responses in this thread.

2 people like this.
  15. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

What is the solution? Tax cuts and deregulation?

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

17. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Yup, I'm screwed again. After last year's BCBS fiasco (there were no doctors taking it) and scrambling to get Aetna in February.

The system failure does seem fairly predictable, everyone that had medical issues they couldn't afford to address without insurance will immediately address them when they can get insurance. Doctors will perform as many chargeable procedures as they ethically can, and healthy young people will avoid any monthly payments they can.

I don't see how anyone would have thought the plans wouldn't be a negative cash flow for the the first few years at least. The arguments about preventative care, taking routine care out of the ER, and an overall healthier society are still valid though. Killing off socialized medicine is killing off poor people, at least dooming them to live with pain and infirmity. Maybe that's what some people want.

The sad thing is I found good doctors taking Aetna, who knows about 2017.

#17 Dubious, Aug 17, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  18. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sprinkle in some tort reform and you've got a stew goin'.

19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

As a country apparently we are incapable of supplying healthcare for poor individuals.

Perhaps in a 100 years it will become feasible.

20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

What do you propose as a solution?

Insurance is pretty simple. Its all about the central limit theorem.