1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Cops gonna Cop] Cop shoots caretaker of autistic man playing in the street with toy truck

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by CometsWin, Jul 20, 2016.

1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

This guy probably would have better luck outrunning a lightning storm, amirite StupidMoniker?

This happened Monday and as per usual police slow down, over your ass mode the names of the officers haven't been released so that they have time to hide all their photos and social media posts and get all their stories straight.

Cop shoots caretaker of autistic man playing in the street with toy truck

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/crime/article90905442.html

BY CHARLES RABIN
    crabin@miamiherald.com
    When a 23-year-old autistic man carrying a toy truck wandered from a mental health center out into the street Monday, a worker there named Charles Kinsey went to retrieve him.

A few minutes later the autistic man was still sitting cross-legged blocking the roadway while playing with the small, rectangular white toy. And Kinsey was prone on the ground next to him — a bullet from an assault rifle fired by a police officer having struck his leg.

“He throws his hands up in the air and says, ‘Don’t shoot me.’ They say lie on the ground, so he does,” Kinsey’s attorney Hilton Napoleon said Wednesday. “He’s on his back with his hands in the air trying to convince the other guy to lie down. It doesn’t make any sense.”

Cellphone video footage obtained by Napoleon clearly shows the heavy-set autistic man sitting and playing with his toy while Kinsey, dressed in a yellow shirt and shorts, obeys police orders to lie down on his back.

The video, taken before the officer fired his weapon, shows Kinsey on his back with his hands in the air telling police he didn’t have a weapon and asking them not to fire. At one point the autistic man appears to yell at Kinsey to shut up. A second brief video shows officers who are carrying rifles physically patting down Kinsey and the autistic man while they are lying on the ground.

In an interview with WSVN-Channel 7, Kinsey said that after he was shot, officers approached and flipped him over and handcuffed him.

“Sir, there’s no need for firearms,” Kinsey told the news station he said to police before he was shot. “It was so surprising. It was like a mosquito bite.”

Kinsey said when he asked the officer why he fired his weapon, the cop responded, “I don’t know.”

By Wednesday, North Miami police hadn’t offered much of an explanation. Assistant Police Chief Neal Cuevas said the investigation has been turned over to the Miami-Dade State Attorney’s Office.

Cuevas said officers received a 911 call indicating a man was in the street with a gun threatening to kill himself. They responded to Northeast 127th Street and about 14th Avenue and began barking orders. When the autistic man didn’t comply, an officer fired three times, striking Kinsey once in the leg. He was transported to Jackson Memorial Hospital.

Cuevas said he didn’t know who the officer was aiming at when he struck Kinsey. The offier’s name hasn’t been released.

In a prepared statement, North Miami police spokeswoman Natalie Buissereth said “arriving officers attempted to negotiate with the two men on the scene, one of whom was later identified as suffering from autism... At some point during the on-scene negotiation, one of the responding officers discharged his weapon.”

Police still hadn’t released any paperwork or the incident report of the shooting by Wednesday. There is no indication that a weapon of any kind was found. The officer who fired his weapon has been placed on administrative leave, as is standard, for at least a week.

Kinsey, 47, who’s worked at MacTown Panther Group Homes for a little over a year, wasn’t badly injured and is expected to be home by Thursday.

By Wednesday, Napoleon said he was already negotiating a possible settlement with the city of North Miami.

“They realize this was something inappropriate regarding the shooting,” he said. “If police departments come out more and admit fault, that would probably go a long way,” toward improving relations with the public, he said.

Still, the incident highlights the inherent dangers faced by police and the public in the wake of deadly police shootings in Dallas and Baton Rouge in which gunmen killed eight officers and wounded 10 others.

In dealing with the mentally ill, experts say, those dangers only multiply.

“I was more worried about him than myself,” Kinsey told Channel 7 of the autistic man, whose name hasn’t been released.

Said his wife Joyce Kinsey: “I’m just grateful he’s alive and able to tell his story.”

1 person likes this.
  2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

There needs to be a widespread reform in police training techniques in this country. Embarrassing that a police force as a whole can be so incompetent.

3. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Well, at least there's that.

Seriously, is that a valid excuse for anyone over the age of like, 6?

4. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Sounds like Kevin McHale with the " I don't know"

Always a great and valid reason

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

He got shot by an assault rifle and it felt like a mosquito bite? Is he superhuman?

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1YowHd4tMzo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

seriously what in the *****. despicable

8. Granville

Granville Member

That video is heartbreaking. Much respect for the caretaker who was doing his best to keep himself and the autistic boy safe. That exact scenario is a huge fear in my life.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Oooooops.

At least he's alive and not in bad shape.

Consider it a bitter sweet blessing. Tax payers will give him 5 figures

10. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

I bet there's more to this. There's always more to the original story.

11. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I bet you there isn't.

12. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

I'm just going to wait for when more facts come out.

13. Granville

Granville Member

I just think the cops got rattled because the autistic boy wouldn't comply. You could hear caretaker telling him to get down. My son had a meltdown in Mexico once and the cops pulled guns on us thinking we were fighting because I was restraining him and he wouldn't calm down right away. Luckily we had friends with us that let the cops know what was really happening

14. Granville

Granville Member

Oh I agree. We don't know for 100% sure everything that happened but it's obvious the caretaker had compassion for that boy .

15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Thankfully neither of them were killed or seriously injured.

Seeing how the man is acting in the video, being ultra complient, I can't imagine theres anything more to it. Just terrible cops.

16. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

What I don't understand is why were the cops so far away from these 2 individuals and hiding behind their cars? By the looks of the video the cops were feeling very threatened for some reason. It just makes no sense, that is why I'm waiting for more facts. It could be a real threat or that the cops had Baton Rouge in the back of their minds.

17. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

Miami Cops...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oWaYxWUgYj4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

So the autistic guy is the one with the toy truck, suspected to be a gun, in his hand but the cops shot the therapist guy?

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Because they are paranoid Trump voters like you.

20. Exiled

Exiled Member

On a sizzling hot day , it's just happens