1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

The Rockets goal: Re-brand Harden and the team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HayesIsBack, Jul 4, 2016.

1. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

With the signing of MDA, Anderson and Gordon (ie all offense and no defense), I figure the Rockets aren't really trying win or perhaps even make a deep playoff run next year.

They are trying to re-brand Harden.

The only way the Rockets become serious free agent contenders next year, and be able to retain Harden the year after, is to improve Harden's image across the league. Ie rebrand him and get him back to the MVP runner up level (or players choice MVP) that he was in 2014-15.

So yes, he has to play defense, but more importantly he's got to appear to be more of a team player. And that comes from having shooters next to him that can take advantage of his penetration/iso kick-outs and are great spot-up shooters. And that's why we're gambling on the oft-injured Ryan Anderson and Eric Gordon instead of spending the cap space on defensive centers.

Because we're not going to win any time soon, why bother trying to field a team aiming to win? And with the salary cap probably going up another $40-50m over the next 2 years, Anderson and Gordon being below 30 will be easily tradable at their current contracts.

So the plan is to get MDA to improve the offense, and put Harden in the Linsanity role. To get shooters around Harden to make him look like a team player that players would want to play with again. And run an offense players would like to play in. And worry about defense later. And hopefully during this process, rebrand Harden's image and make him someone players around the league want to play with again, and make the Rockets a free agent destination again. And to do this before Harden considers leaving the Rockets in free agency.

This means, we won't be rebuilding any time soon. And we won't be winning any time soon. The team's focus will be on rebuilding Harden's image and making the Rockets an attractive destination again.

The downside ... if this isn't done correctly, we may end up enabling Harden even more than he has been over the past couple of seasons.

3 people like this.
  2. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Les won't even rebrand our jerseys let alone the team's image.

3. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

The image is broken, not the jerseys ...

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

goal: find new coach, get rid of MDA, rebrand Morey and get another young GM assistant

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Please LORD change the jerseys, logo and court. PLEASE. Yao is GONE.

6. nono

nono Member

We are basically done for imo. There is no hope. The next 5 years will all be OKC vs Cavs and when they are done a new superteam rivalry will take over.

7. nono

nono Member

I'd rather at this point have a D-League team and cheap tickets. We're not even going to compete, let alone win for the foreseeable future.

8. jsingles

jsingles Member

Doubt the Thunder are winning much the next 5 years myself, just me though.

9. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i generally agree. this season is about changing the attitude and culture of the team while hoping to win a few more games and using all of that to change the perception of the team away from the disaster that it is now. there were no championships moves to be had this offseason, might as well try to fix things enough to make them possible in future offseasons.

10. Ultimateian

Ultimateian Member

I'm excited about this team. Those Suns teams were fun to watch. If the Rockets coach can work out the problems with the playoffs we can go really far.

11. JazzLakerHater

I 100% agree. The team the Rockets should try to model after is last years Blazers. That team became beloved and widely respected with how they rebounded after losing LMA, and because of their unselfish play.

12. HTOWNTAKEOVER

HTOWNTAKEOVER Member

what drugs do you usually take?

13. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

Definitely, and one part of that plan is to win him the MVP and first team accolades

I think they'll be mostly successful at it... just need to pay off some ESPN people as well

14. Ultimateian

Ultimateian Member

Although the stripes on my nails indicate that I should be taking heart medication I don't take any drugs. I've had them for a very long time and ive had heart palpitations for a long time, since I was a child. But I don't blame that on anyone.

Most 'help' people give me is disguised as torture. Drugs are a copout.

15. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Ehhhh.... might be a fun team to watch, but I really have no high hopes at this point... hopefully the team can at least look somewhat organized...

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Makes a lot of sense, I prefer contending though.

DD

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

You're thinking too hard.

We had poor shooters. Everyone that isnt a crap fan knows harden isnt selfish and is a good passer. He'd paas and tbey couldnt hit threes.

Common sense= we need shooters.

And im not sure where you get they're not trying to win...if there is anything we know is that they are trying to win..thats why we're in this mess to begin with and not with all these high picks looking to develop.

Our center spot is worse, for now, but other than that we've improved. If we can get a solid center signing there's no reason we cant be in the playoffs again.

18. Celebriduck

Celebriduck Member

But Zhouston Qui is here:cool:

19. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I don't think you can rebrand and change perceptions in one offseason. It takes along time to build a reputation, but only a short time to lose it. We've done the later and it's not just the poor showing in the court. its also about perceived volatility and instability within the organization. It's gonna take more than one season to change that; it's wishful thinking to assume otherwise.

20. hvic

hvic Member

We have a new chinaman