1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ryan Anderson: Fact vs. Fiction

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Jul 2, 2016.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Ryan Anderson is not a perfect player and he certainly is not everyone’s first choice as a free agent signing. His signing has created a number of emotional posts with people making wild claims about what he can or can’t do. Here is one such post:

Quite honestly every time I watch Anderson it seems like he is torching the Rockets with 3pt shooting. But according to Bobbythegreat, Anderson is a minus 10 when playing against other Power Forwards in the game! Yikes! There is no way this is going to work. But just to be certain I wanted to look up the stats that would support Bobbythegreat’s quote that Ryan is a negative 10 against other Power Forwards.

So off I went to 82games to check exactly how Ryan fared against opposing Power Forwards in the game. Granted there are lots of factors and lots of stats to support someone’s point of view and I anticipate this thread may cause some of those stats to come out.

So what did I learn from 82games?
    http://www.82games.com/1516/15NOP17.HTM

First, Ryan Anderson is credited for logging time at the SG, SF, PF and C positions. He played 15% of available Pelican minutes at the SF position, 33% at the PF position, 1% at the C position and less than 1% of available SG minutes. But how did he fare against Power Forwards?

PPG per 48 minutes:
    27.7 - Ryan Anderson
    18.1 - Opponent Counterpart
    Not sure what happened here but Ryan outscored his opponent counterpart last season by 9.6 PPG per 48 minutes!

OK but how did the team perform when he was on the floor vs. when he was not on the floor?

Team Points per 100 possessions:
    109.7 with Ryan on the floor
    103.4 with Ryan on the bench
    +6.2 with Ryan on the Floor

Team Points allowed per 100 possessions:
    110.4 with Ryan on the floor
    111.1 with Ryan off of the floor
    -0.7 with Ryan on the floor

Crap that can’t possibly be right! The Pelicans were actually a better defensive team last season with Ryan on the floor then with him off of the floor? In case anyone needs help with the math, the Pelicans were 6.9 points better with Ryan Anderson on the floor last season.

I’m sure there are plenty of stats that people will post that will suggest Ryan Anderson is going to kill the Rockets with his theoretical lack of defense and rebounding so go ahead and post them. Accuse me of wearing my Rockets colored classes if you want but Ryan’s on the court impact is pretty positive.

2. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

You are wasting the resources of the earth when you need to open a new thread responding to Bobby.

This is a sad day for humanity.

Drogba and Aruba77 like this.
  3. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

Bobby the great is one of the worst posters on this forum. Everything he says is garbage.

Drogba and TheRealist137 like this.
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

None of this refutes that he was the 8th worst PF defensively in the NBA last season according to DRPM which is a fact, not fiction.

5. crash5179

Not intended as a bashing bobby thread but there are others as well:

6. crash5179

and yet still a plus 9.7 against opposing power forwards. Thats almost a 20 point difference then your claim. You have been discredited.

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Fact- Ryan Anderson is better than DMo

Fiction- anything DD or Bobbydaklown posts.

1 person likes this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL what an idiot. Did you really take that literally? I was talking about the importance of defense and just threw out numbers so you could try to understand the basic concept that you seemed to struggle with.

What is fact is that Ryan Anderson is worse defensively than any PF on the Rockets roster last year with the exception of Terrence Jones who was the absolute worst defensive PF in the NBA according to DRPM.

Hype up Anderson all you like, but the guy is absolute garbage defensively.

9. makman

makman Member

Well said, I like the signing just not the amount and the length. But it's not my check book, there's no doubt he's an upgrade, and we needed someone who can actually hit a shot besides harden. Defense is all about effort, I'd rather have someone who lacks the ability but tries, over someone who has ability but doesn't care (dwight).

10. crash5179

And yet still 9.7 points per 48 better than his opponent counterpart.
    And yet his team was still a better defensive team with him on the floor.

I'll take that trash.

11. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Please don't make the ramblings of BTG come off as relevant. You're better than that.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't doubt you will and you'll call it gold. Anyway guy, you'll figure it out eventually.....and then you'll deny you were ever wrong to begin with once it's blatantly obvious you were. I learned from the Terrence Jones kids.

13. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Probably should be combined in the other R.A. thread, but I can understand you didn't want it to get lost.

Also, thanks for posting some of the stats that I have been wanting to see re: Rhyno / RA

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Great stats but no need to make a thread of bash someone(unless it's the FO :p). Appreciate the research

15. crash5179

I'll call it what it is +9.7 better than his counterpart opponents at the PF position.

16. Major

Major Member

The stats, while interesting, don't really tell us that much in absolute terms. If a team is much better with a player on the court than without, it could mean the player is really good - or it could just mean his backups are much worse.

Those numbers only tell you his impact relative to the other options on the team.

17. crash5179

It really wasn't the intent to bash BtheG but I kept seeing posts of people posting things that just didn't seem like fact. I just wanted a fact check.

Apologies to bobbythegreat, it wasn't intended to be a bashing thread on him. He wasn't the only one posting this stuff.

18. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I agree with your conclusion that Bobby is an idiot.

19. chandlerbang21

Eye test > per ANYTHING

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

End thread.