1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Has this years ridiculous Free Agency made anyone else kind of sick of the NBA?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by LonghornFan, Jul 2, 2016.

1. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Not because of us losing out on free agents, but about the money being thrown around, insane money for just above average players.

Conley getting $153 million, never has made an all star team, yet is now the highest NBA player ever. jfc

Parson at Max?

Noah, seriously?

Turner who is basically a Terrance Jones getting $70 million?

Jordan Clarkson with Bench points, $50 million?

I'm most likely in the minority but this is like playing NBA16K. I'm really not interested in watching these seriously mega rich overpaid athletes play this changed game any longer. New era, too many friends, not enough enforcers like Oakley, just not the game I grew up watching and enjoying. I guess I'm now officially a "Get Off My Lawn" geezer.

I miss the 90's NBA. I miss mid to late 80s NBA. I miss early 2000 NBA. I honestly don't have much interest in this new NBA era at all. The Finals were great, glad Cleveland got their championship, but I really don't pay too much attention to teams, players or anything besides the Rockets, and now it's basically "just because they're on", as my DVR owns me. That old passion I had has diminished really bad, especially with this insane money being thrown around to mediocre players. I love basketball so much but this is ****ing ridiculous. Social media of these players now doesn't help things at all.

Rant complete. Repeat I'm not a fan, **** off. Just speaking what I know others are feeling.

Willett if wonderful btw.

Edit- Meant to post in the Dish, Willett problem.

4 people like this.
  2. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Either players get their fair share, or the owners take more than they deserve. It's pretty damn simple

3. clos4life

clos4life Member

Supply and demand. They get paid what the market determines they are worth. You don't see professional soccer players get paid that much in the USA but in Europe they make money left and right.

So no, what they get paid is irrelevant to me when your skills are the best of less than a 1,000 people in a potential world population of about 7 billion people.

4. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Yeah it feels strange The rich just get ridiculously, insanely richer. The product on the floor better get way, way better. I never want to see an airball again.

5. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I've been an NBA fan my entire life and this is like discovering a whole new realm of basketball. Everything that I'm used to, everything that I thought I knew and everything I thought I understood about contracts and judging talent is different now.

It's been an adjustment, to say the very least.

Mike Conley, a guy that's maybe not even a top 10 PG, just got the biggest contract in NBA history.

...and I have to train my mind to understand this is the new norm.

1 person likes this.
  6. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

they shouldnt complain when they realize they dont have enough help. they are the help lol

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Meh! Heck Luck is getting 150+ Million
    Its in all sports

Rocket River

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

sick of those numbers, but not sick of basketball

9. Swish4fives

Swish4fives Member

Tmac was right, the league is watered down. They got all this money from tv deals but a majority of the players that are getting it haven't earned it.

2 people like this.
  10. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Who cares about the numbers? We don't pay them and as the cap has jumped directly due to increased TV revenue, which means increased consumer interest in the sport and its players, we clearly care and value the players and league to the point where this is possible.

Well, at least this thread is devoid of the contrived athlete pay vs. doctor pay, soldier pay, teacher pay argument.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It's just because the cap went up.

12. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Such a huge misconception.

The players were already VASTLY underpaid relative to league revenue. Only now have things finally corrected themselves.

What would you prefer instead, Lebron getting a $60m/yr contract? That would absolutely destroy team-building and end up in a completely inferior basketball product

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Why would I be? It is the same damn game. Still fun to watch.

I am not sitting around worrying about what other men make.

1 person likes this.
  14. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

It hasn't made me sick of the NBA just sick in general. These are just basketball players. They're not curing cancer.

2 people like this.
  15. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

You have to look past the leagues pool of money and compare it to real world standards. I can think of a 150 million reasons why I would go play for a non competitive team for 5 years, and then team up with the Leagues superheros for a couple rings.

Here is a fact; When money is more important than competition, quality goes south. The new NBA is here. Earn your 200-250 million and then go team up with allstars for a ring.

1 person likes this.
  16. Swish4fives

Swish4fives Member

No I'm fine with the way the cap is structured. I have problems with players that have bad knees, below average stats, or potential to be a good player in the future commanding 15-20% of a team's cap. When players like that are commanding maximum salaries it's watered down imo. Only a handful of players are VASTLY underpaid lol.

17. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

batkins and Space ghost just made my points/opinions better. They must not want a Willett hangover.

18. mig0s

mig0s Member

OP, why does how much a player make matters to you? It doesnt make the players better or worse. Mike Conley will still be Mike Conley. It will balance out in a few years

19. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

Why hate on somebody for making money lmao

20. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i don't mind the players getting more money in general, but the way it's been distributed is nonsensical