1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"Players love to play for Mike D'Antoni"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ch44, Jun 29, 2016.

1. ch44

ch44 Member

What is the best way to measure how much players want to play for a specific coach or system? The quality of free agents that sign with a team. A lot of other factors come into play, mainly cap space, but I think a list of free agents that a team signed and lost in an offseason says a lot in itself.

This is a list of every free agent that was signed or lost (including sign & trades) with the Suns, Knicks, and Lakers while D'Antoni was head coach. Trades and draft picks are not included.

2003 Offseason (Phoenix):
    Re-signed Stephon Marbury
    Lost Dan Langhi, Randy Brown, Alton Ford

2004 Offseason (Phoenix):
    Signed Steve Nash, Quentin Richardson, Steven Hunter, Paul Shirley, Yuta Tabuse
    Lost Antonio McDyess, Howard Eisley, Keon Clark, Donnell Harvey

2005 Offseason (Phoenix):
    Re-signed Amare Stoudemore
    Signed Raja Bell, Brian Grant, Eddie House, Pat Burke, James Jones (S&T)
    Lost Joe Johnson, Steven Hunter, Walter McCarty, Bo Outlaw, Paul Shirley

2006 Offseason (Phoenix):
    Re-signed Leandro Barbosa, Boris Diaw
    Signed Marcus Banks, Jumaine Jones, Sean Marks, Eric Piatowski
    Lost Eddie House, Tim Thomas, Dijon Thompson

2007 Offseason (Phoenix):
    Re-signed Sean Marks
    Signed Grant Hill, Brian Skinner
    Lost Jalen Rose, Jumaine Jones, Pat Burke

Source: http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/Phoenix-Suns/23/offseason

2008 Offseason (New York):
    Signed Chris Duhon, Anthony Roberson
    Lost Fred Jones, Randolph Morris

2009 Offseason (New York):
    Re-signed David Lee, Nate Robinson
    Lost Chris Wilcox

2010 Offseason (New York):
    Signed Amare Stoudemire (S&T), Raymond Felton, Roger Mason, Timofey Mozgov, Shawne Williams
    Lost David Lee, Tracy McGrady, Sergio Rodriguez, Chris Duhon, Earl Barron, Jonathan Bender, J.R. Giddens, Al Harrington, Eddie House

2011 Offseason (New York):
    Re-signed Jared Jeffries
    Signed Mike Bibby, Tyson Chandler (S&T), Baron Davis, Jeremy Lin
    Lost Derrick Brown, Anthony Carter, Roger Mason, Shawne Williams, Shelden Williams

Source: http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/New-York-Knicks/20/offseason

2013 Offseason (Los Angeles):
    Re-signed Robert Sacre
    Signed Jordan Farmar, Elias Harris, Xavier Henry, Wesley Johnson, Chris Kaman, Shawne Williams, Nick Young
    Lost Dwight Howard, Antawn Jamison, Earl Clark, Devin Ebanks, Andrew Goudelock, Darius Morris

Source: http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/Los-Angeles-Lakers/13/offseason

2. bmd

bmd Member

It's more complex than just the people who sign. I'm sure a lot of players would have liked to play for Phil Jackson, but I don't think he got any better free agents than anyone else.

Players don't generally put who the coach is at the top of their list when looking to sign somewhere in free agency.

Liking the coach you play for is just a bonus. It's not the reason for signing.

3. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

This is all I could think of from this post

[​IMG]

4. Nero

Nero Member

Yes but I am pretty sure there is also some kind of correlation between what brand of sneakers D-Antoni wears and what brand the players wear.

I thin you should do some exhaustive research on that as well.

Also, what make and model of car they each drive/drove at the time.

Out of curiosity, have you seen ANY evidence from any of those players you mention either stating specifically that they signed with the team D'Antoni was coaching BECAUSE they 'love playing for him', OR, who left because the 'didn't'?

That's an honest question, I am wondering if any of them ever said anything to that effect one way or the other with regards to their decision to sign with the team or to not re-sign.

Maybe there is some, I don't know.

But if there isn't, then you may as well just be charting the weather patterns for each city on the day they signed or left. Because it would be just as relevant.

Correlation in no way implies causation.

5. CK Johnson

CK Johnson Member

I'll believe this when me **** turns purple and tastes like rainbow sherbert.

6. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

I like how the thread is in quotes as if someone other than op said it

7. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Let's see the missing factors:

Contract, cap space, GM, owner, city, fans, market, tax, position fit, players on the team, even assistant coaches

And surely D'Antoni "Trump" them all ;)

8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

then were's our freaking KD interview? what a load of crap.

#8 Aruba77, Jun 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  9. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

definitely true. only defensive juggernaughts wanna play for antoni like dirk, kyrie, dame, and of course the best of them all...harden.

10. Jumpman713

Jumpman713 Member

Lance Stephenson is now a FA!!!! Great wing player and defender.

11. alethios

alethios Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Hoe you know you lyin

13. ch44

ch44 Member

I can't edit my post, so I need to clear this up.

Les Alexander and Daryl Morey both have said it defending the signing of him. I put it in quotes as a way of sarcastically saying it's a load of crap. Reading it again, I guess I wasn't clear enough that I trying to dispel the notion that "players like to play for him" actually correlates into any marquee free agents coming to Houston.

If you look through the list of people who signed as a free agent, it's mostly scrubs.

14. ch44

ch44 Member

My point was actually that he doesn't attract qualify free agents, because Les and Morey have been using that as their defense for hiring him. He doesn't have a track record of attracting good players.

"Mike always says players love to play for him," Alexander said. "Not only because they get better, but they get paid. He'll be a lucrative source for us in free agency."

And yes, some players have left specifically because he was the coach and others have said they love playing for him.