1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Mike D'Antoni files

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dr of Dunk, May 30, 2016.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

He is going to be the head coach, right? I thought I heard that somewhere... anyway, I thought the following would be some interesting reads/watches on the (allegedly) new coach of the Houston Rockets :

I found the following article by ESPN from 2012 to be an interesting read on D'Antoni. I thought about posting individual quotes, but the entire thing probably should be quoted. While reading it, keep in mind he may have changed or adjusted some of his beliefs in those 3 years :

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/51996/the-book-on-mike-dantoni

Another article on him from 2015 on SI.com follows with an interesting quote about the Rockets :

http://www.si.com/nba/2015/10/02/mi...y-steve-nash-warriors-steve-kerr-alvin-gentry

From the above article :

And also from the above article... hey, Dwight, 'sup? :

Don't expect him to want to run too many set plays (or do goofy interviews with corny shtick endings to them). Summer League interview from 2013 :

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/npOyB_S4X2c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A video examining the Phoenix Suns "7 seconds or less" offense via clips. From watching it, we need to find another Steve Nash. ;)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6ktO2CWwZUs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In 2015, D'Antoni (among others) conducted an international coaching clinic at the summer leagues in Las Vegas. The following 2 articles show some of the points the writers got from the people presenting (one of the other presenters is Ettore Messina, btw, who throws some respect D'Antoni's way for offense). I'd post the D'Antoni sections, but don't want to take credit away from these guys, and I don't want to make this post "too" long :

http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2015/0...nd-donewald-at-international-coaching-clinic/

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/2015...nts-7725617872039281422&trk=sushi_topic_posts

The following link is a video of the 2015 SSAC conference where D'Antoni and Shane Battier were among the panelists discussing pushing the tempo. I believe it was originally posted by treyk3 in another thread. If you have an hour to listen to it, I thought it was great. In the link below, I've started it around the 14:38 mark where D'Antoni will soon start talking about a couple of his philosophies for a couple of minutes. He distinctly mentions that 3's, free throws, and layups is where it's at. I found this part really interesting, but he speaks throughout the video, but it's about an hour long :

https://youtu.be/p3kCO-6afdQ?t=14m38s

3 people like this.
  2. clos4life

clos4life Member

The idea of seeing his ugly mug and mediocre coaching on the Rockets is sickening.

3. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

Sounds like a great match with Morey

4. HakeemOnlyFan

HakeemOnlyFan Member

Thanks for the time you spent putting this together. A fun read.

5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Yep. Full blown Moreyball.

6. alethios

alethios Member

Thanks Dr - this answers my question about whether MDA buys in to the Moreyball philosophy of focusing on those three methods of scoring.

7. Kiddsir

Kiddsir Member

He's just too good and too forward thinking.but most of fans don't realize how amazing he can be in this small ball trend league.

8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Iv been using the 7 second or less offense in 2k for years without knowing it lol

1 person likes this.
  9. NicaHoustonian

Speaking of Shane Battier... How bout him for lead assistant coach?

10. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Still depends on the roster.

Will he have a lot more control over the players we get? Or will it be all Morey again?

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Just going to embrace it and hope for the best.

DD

12. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Can't wait to get my limited edition Pringles jersey. Signed by Pringles.

13. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I feel you DD.

I mean he's not my first choice or even 2nd but he is a better coach than Mchale and JB.

Our offense will be great like tops in the league and harden will thrive in this system.

My concern is obviously Defense like everyone else.

I'm sure Pringles sees that he must get better on that end to be successful but time will tell if he actually holds guys accountable on that end. I'm excited about getting a new coaching staff here and that means the assistents. A lot of times they have the best relationships with the players. Hopefully we can get some good ones who push the guys to he great on the defensive side. We have the personell to be a very good team on defense.

14. NateNate

NateNate Member

So why does Harden fit in this scheme as presented?

Who's our Nash? And I'm not talking necessarily on this roster but available FA or trade targets?

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

We're stuck with D'Antoni, for better or for worse. As fans of the Rockets, we have to hope for "better." So much will depend on what Morey will be able to do this summer. If D'Antoni is essentially handed the same team and told, "Good luck!" it's not going to cut it. We need much better coaching at both ends of the court. We need significant changes to the roster. We need Harden's minutes reduced and better coaching to make him as effective as possible. We need at least one star caliber scorer, preferably one who can play both ends. Two stars added to the team would be much better. They have to be stars, but not necessarily "superstars." We need good depth. Both shooters and defenders. We need an actual point guard. Bev tries, but he should be coming off the bench. The Howard situation needs to be resolved. We need a starting center who can pull his man away from the basket with a jumper. We need a team that can hit their freakin' free throws. We need a healthy Donuts, a resigned Donuts, or a better player to take his place at the 4/5. And we need other stuff, as well. I'll quit now.

We don't need much, do we.

Nice OP, Dr of Dunk!

16. basketballholic

This is our Nash. He should already be in the Association. It's a shame no one has signed him and let him ball. He has Nash's fingerprints all over his game.

https://youtu.be/QmfljoReexA

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

BOHICA, baby

Rocket River

18. NateNate

NateNate Member

Well he's white, from Canada and can shoot, so there's that.

19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He isn't interested in coaching. We need coaches that are up to the challenge.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

SI.com: I read about the presentation you gave during the Las Vegas Summer League and, essentially, you said to build a team's offensive attack around a post player playing with his back to the basket is wasting an opportunity offensively. Why do you think that?

D'Antoni: If you look at the stats around the league, a post-up is not a very good shot. [Laughs] It just isn’t. Now again, in our business and leagues, a lot of times you say something and people take that as 100%: You’re always going to have post-ups and you’re always going to have 15-foot shots. They have not become the best shots.
    -----------------

I don't like the idea that a "post-up" = "post shot" - posting up can lead to double teams which open up long range shots. You can also run an offense from the post or take advantage of undersized defenders when the opportunity presents itself.

Adelman had a pace he wanted to play but he was able to achieve that pace a number of different ways. Running the offense from the post (Webber/Divac), posting-up a great scorer (Yao), and attacking from the wing (Drexler).

D'Antoni gets a stud offensive post player like Pau Gasol and runs him off. Can't figure out how to use him.

D'Antoni gets beat repeatedly by Tim Duncan and still has the same arrogant attitude towards post-play? That's just... weird.