1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 NBA Draft Lottery

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., May 16, 2016.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

That's what I was thinking, poor hinkie, loads them with a bunch of great picks, young prospects and gets canned because of the Org's lack of patience.

Although, since they will likely be drafting Simmons who is a PF (right?) I know he does some SF but his size and rebounding makes me think he will primarily be a PF. They have a real front court log jam. They need to cash in on 2 or 3 of their front court guys.

2. Vivi

Vivi Member

Sam should've traded us his picks for a bunch of scrubs as soon as he started to smell something :grin:

3. i3artow i3aller

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Before lottery, Warriors PR czar Raymond Ridder texted Luke Walton that Lakers got 4th pick. Luke fell for the prank, now has last laugh.</p>&mdash; Bill Oram (@billoram) <a href="https://twitter.com/billoram/status/732729463918624768">May 18, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I've thought Ingram was the better of the top two and he fits better in the 76ers.

Ingram
    Saric/Embiid
    Noel/Okafor

They'd need to decide of the 4 bugs which two to try and keep.

They really need at least one of Saric or Embiid to work well.

And in a guard league they obviously need some guards... But in 3-5 years could be something for sure. Of course that's a 10 year rebuild lol

5. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

The first thing that came to mind was that Sam Hinkie finally got that 1st pick!

6. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

Question:

If you're the Sixers, and you're obviously taking one of Ingram/Simmons... don't you kinda have to trade away one of your bigs? With Embiid healing and Saric coming over, you've got a hell of a logjam.

Hypothetical trade scenario: If Atlanta loses Horford in FA, and they feel like its time to hand the reins over to Schroder...is there something to a Noel/Teague swap? Obviously ATL has to sweeten the deal some. ATL gets a defensive stalwart to replace Horford and play along 'sap and PHI finally gets a good PG to help their bigs develop.

7. da_juice

da_juice Member

I could see it. Teague is a good veteran guy to have an Atlanta has always focused on retooling instead of rebuilding.

8. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

How is 4 bigs too many?

9. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Poor Hinkie, come back to Houston!

10. Juxtaposed Jolt

It's not, but they all need playing time to develop. On established teams (using ATL for example), Millsap/Horford/Scott/Humphries/Splitter isn't a logjam because Sap and Horford are obvious starters while the other three aren't as good as the starters.

In Philly, you want Noel/Embiid/Saric/1st to all be the best they can be, but if you have a logjam, job becomes that much harder.

It'd be good to trade a big for an established PG. Speeds up the rebuild process.

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I've read some intimation that the Sixers getting the #1 pick is somehow the culmination of Hinkie's Process, though he didn't make it to the Promised Land himself. That is not so. The plan wasn't to tank for 3 years to get one #1 pick. He tanked to get a stable of young, high lotto picks to form a base of a team and mature together. This #1 is potentially additive to that goal, but he otherwise has some mixed success. If Simmons (or whomever) is a great success by himself, that doesn't validate Hinkie's strategy. They need to show returns on most of Simmons, Okafor, Embiid, Noel, and Saric.

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Report: 76ers plan to take LSU’s Ben Simmons with No. 1 pick <a href="https://t.co/98mHmUrrvI">https://t.co/98mHmUrrvI</a> <a href="https://t.co/pGRYxAzDDu">pic.twitter.com/pGRYxAzDDu</a></p>&mdash; SI Wire (@SI_Wire) <a href="https://twitter.com/SI_Wire/status/732952921906630657">May 18, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

13. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Well Noel and Okafor have shown they can play in the league. Saric will be a rookie next year and who knows if Embiid will ever play. But it's not like they've picked complete busts. They're still high potential guys.

14. hoopster325

hoopster325 Member

Lakers are the favorite to sign Barnes apparently this summer, want to throw the max at him once Durant turns them down.

Dlo-Clarkson-Barnes-Ingram-Randle core looks nice. Still need a rim protector but that is a pretty good young core if it comes together.

15. rullrich

rullrich Member

Wonder if LA would take a package involving Okafor for the 2nd pick...helps LA find a center and allows Philly to assemble what would be an exciting team. Maybe pay Beal in the offseason with they mountain of capspace they have?

Canaan
    Beal/Stauskas
    Ingram/Grant
    Simmons/Embiid
    Noel/Saric

Okay they'll still be lottery bound but that at least resembles a team that could win more than 10 games next year.

16. LivinLikeLarry

If I'm the 76ers, I'd keep Saric for sure. He's the only one out of the logjam at the 4/5 that can stretch the floor, and that will only get more problematic if they pick Simmons. Okafor looked to be a keeper, and Embiid needs to show that he's worth anything at this point before they can decide if they want to keep him or trade him for the best value. That means Noel is probably the odd man out due to his offensive deficiencies and the fact that nobody really knows if he is a 4 or a 5.

Looking back at the 2014 draft, there really wasn't anybody taken after Embiid that would have made Philly much better. They caught a lot of flak for that draft, but as of right now I don't see anything that they should have done differently. Maybe take Randle, but he still hasn't even showed much. Elfrid Payton is alright... perhaps him instead of Saric would have been a good move.

17. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

To counter all the haters here. I am excited for each franchise landing a top 3 pick. How can a fan of the game not be happy when you have potential comparisons to LeBron (Simmons), Durant (Ingram), and Harden (Hield) being made all in the same draft?

http://www.nbadraft.net/2016-extended-mock-draft-50

Yes, I hate the Lakers and Sixers deserve to implode after the Hinkie jinx, but for a moment it's going to be fun to imagine if this draft turns out to be a historical one like 2003 or 1996, or at least at the top of the order if all 3 picks pan out to be like their comparison counterparts in the NBA.

18. slestack11

slestack11 Member

Ben Simmons has already gone to social media about being seen in a Lakers uniform next season. I wouldn't be surprised if he tanks his interview with the Sixers and his agent flat out tells them not to pick him. That said, the Lakers have actually been very enamored by Ingram lately and all this Simmons posture may actually not be what the Lakers want.

19. rullrich

rullrich Member

He could definitely pull a Kobe...hell, Porzingis' agent refused to give the the 76ers his physical or a meet with them. But how do you pass on Simmons if you're Philly? Only way I see him in LA is if LA trades up...and I'm not sure what Philly would want that makes any sense.

20. hooroo

hooroo Member

something about him makes me think he'll end up a bust for a no.1 pick... maybe it's the maturity issues and giving up in games.