1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey Has Got To Go

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Fantasma Negro, May 13, 2016.

1. Fantasma Negro

For the guys on here always spouting that "In Morey we trust" nonsense. I just want to highlight some of the stupid moves Morey has made since taking over as gm. I stumbled upon this and was shocked and disgusted but yet some people still have confidence in this guy. I can't imagine what our roster would look like if Morey was an actual good talent evaluator:

July 8, 2009: Signed Trevor Ariza as a free agent.

August 11, 2010: As part of a 4-team trade, the Houston Rockets traded Trevor Ariza to the New Orleans Hornets; the Indiana Pacers traded Troy Murphy to the New Jersey Nets; the New Jersey Nets traded Courtney Lee to the Houston Rockets; and the New Orleans Hornets traded Darren Collison and James Posey to the Indiana Pacers. Signed a guy and traded him the folowing off-season. Ok...

June 24, 2010: Selected Patrick Patterson (1st round, 14th pick) in the 2010 NBA Draft. Larry Sanders and Eric Bledsoe were still on the board

February 24, 2011: Traded Aaron Brooks to the Phoenix Suns for Goran Dragic and a 2011 1st round draft pick

February 24, 2011: Traded Shane Battier and Ishmael Smith to the Memphis Grizzlies for DeMarre Carroll, Hasheem Thabeet and a future 1st round draft pick. What the **** and why?

June 1, 2011: Hired Kevin McHale as Head Coach.

June 23, 2011: Selected Marcus Morris (1st round, 14th pick) Kawai Leonard was still on the board

June 23, 2011: Selected Nikola Mirotic (1st round, 23rd pick) I had honestly forgotten about this, I thought the guy we selected was Nikola Peković

June 23, 2011: Traded Brad Miller, Nikola Mirotic, this team could surely use this guy right now, Chandler Parsons and a 2013 1st round draft pick (Andre Roberson, meh was later selected) to the Minnesota Timberwolves for Jonny Flynn, Donatas Motiejunas and a 2012 2nd round draft pick that would late be traded to the Dencer Nuggets. This makes me cringe just reading it

December 12, 2011: Signed Jeremy Lin as a free agent.Yuck

March 15, 2012: Traded Jordan Hill to the Los Angeles Lakers for Derek Fisher. Fisher never reported and was bought out, so Jordan Hill was traded for nothing

June 28, 2012: Selected Royce White (1st round, 16th pick) Draymond Green was still on the board, can't kill him too much for this everyone miss on Draymond

July 11, 2012: Traded Kyle Lowry to the Toronto Raptors for Gary Forbes. I know this trade facilitated the Harden trade but I still think it was dumb. There was another deal that could've got done to make the Harden trade work.

July 20, 2012: As part of a 3-team trade, the Houston Rockets traded Courtney Lee to the Boston Celtics; the Boston Celtics traded JaJuan Johnson, E'Twaun Moore, Sean Williams and a 2013 2nd round draft pick (Alex Abrines was later selected) to the Houston Rockets; the Boston Celtics traded Sasha Pavlovic to the Portland Trail Blazers; and the Portland Trail Blazers traded Jon Diebler to the Houston Rockets.Yes, this trade really happened

February 21, 2013: Traded Marcus Morris to the Phoenix Suns for a 2013 2nd round draft pick (Isaiah Canaan was later selected)

February 20, 2014: Traded Aaron Brooks to the Denver Nuggets for Jordan Hamilton

July 15, 2014: Traded Jeremy Lin, a 2015 1st round draft pick and a 2015 2nd round draft pick to the Los Angeles Lakers for Sergei Lishchuk. Traded away two draft picks just to get rid of Jeremy Lin and then Bosh stay in Miami smh

December 19, 2014: As part of a 3-team trade, the Houston Rockets traded Sergei Lishouk and a 2015 2nd round draft pick to the Philadelphia 76ers; the Houston Rockets traded Troy Daniels, cash, a 2015 2nd round draft pick and a 2016 2nd round draft pick to the Minnesota Timberwolves; the Minnesota Timberwolves traded Corey Brewer to the Houston Rockets; the Minnesota Timberwolves traded Ronny Turiaf to the Philadelphia 76ers; and the Philadelphia 76ers traded Alexey Shved to the Houston Rockets. I would rather have Troy Daniels than Corey Brewer. FACTS

June 25, 2015: Selected Sam Dekker (1st round, 18th pick) Bobby Portis, Jerian Grant and Justin Anderson were still on the board

July 20, 2015: Traded Joey Dorsey, Nick Johnson, Kostas Papanikolaou, Pablo Prigioni and a 2016 1st round draft pick to the Denver Nuggets for Ty Lawson and a 2017 2nd round draft pick. How'd that work out again?

I want, neh, I need someone to explain it to me just what makes you think Daryl Morey is a good gm and what makes you think that he is capable of making decisions that will improve this team. In my opinion the best way to improve this team is to dump Morey.

2. Im Just Sayin

Im Just Sayin Member

3. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

In Morey we trust

4. Fantasma Negro

In Mediocrity we trust

5. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

You don't have to remind anyone

His collection of assets strategy blew in his face. We all know that.

10 years he had time to get something right, no more excuses, its time someone else gets a try

6. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

You can play that game with plenty of GMs.

At the time, I agreed with the Morris pick, because the majority of us felt that Morris had more upside at a time we were looking for star power. If we had Harden I would have bet you that Kawhi would have been the pick.

Eric Bledsoe did not do much on a Kentucky team that had Wall, Cousins, and Patterson. He did NOT have a jumper what so ever.

I also can't think of another deal other then the Lowry one that could have still netted us Harden.

The Bosh issue was unfortunate, he was force to trade Lin because we all thought Bosh was coming.

I understand Morey isn't perfect, but you guys give him an unfair shake at times.

7. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Cap space and taking risks are apparently two things OP doesn't understand .

8. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Um his collection assets landed a top five player and a WCF appearance.

10 years he got plenty of things right and continually made smart choices. No, its not time for someone else to get a try.

1 person likes this.
  9. hakeemthagreat

At least we know he's not the genius his followers tried to make him to be

10. rockets13champs

He doesnt have an eye for drafting but he is just good at trades and financial situations. We need to hire a president that has an eye for young talent

11. Fantasma Negro

You can't build a championship team with hopes and expectations. What is unfair? I purposely left off Jermaine Taylor and Terrence Williams. He doesn't know what he's doing

12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I'm glad we started a whole new thread on this, as this topic isn't covered elsewhere.

But thanks for helping me pad my post count.

13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

He knows exactly what he is doing.

You idiots who try and list out individual moves while ignoring the surrounding context, which show the short term and term effects, are the ignorant ones.

#13 larsv8, May 13, 2016
    Last edited: May 13, 2016
    HakeemOnlyFan and tobster like this.
  14. Fantasma Negro

I've always said he'd be a great capologist but we need a talent elevator. Who the **** is in the rockets scouting department?

15. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Again, DM has been asked to perform magic by Les on a regular basis...subject to his whims/edicts/ulterior motives/short sighted agendas...and he's done it.
    We're fortunate as all get out to have one of the best in the business allowing Les to have his cake and eat it too.

Les is and has been the problem.

16. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Morey has done well without tanking, you cant blame him for the Bosh transaction Chris flipped at the last minute. I will knock him on draft picks, but our scouts have to be held accountable as well. Morris instead of Leonard ... that hurt. He is very active and will keep dealing cards until he likes his hand.

17. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

We need Trump to #MakeClutchFansGreatAgain by banning all these dumb posters.

Love the OP criticizing Morey for not drafting Sanders, among other stupid opinions he decided to share with us.

Not worth the effort. We need Trump!

18. tobster

tobster Member

How many floors does it need to reach?

19. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Why are you listing Ariza-for-Lee and Brooks-for-Dragic as bad deals??

Bunch of transactions you listed don't even matter (Battier deal, Lin deal, Mirtoic deal, Brewer deal as Brew did help last year).

20. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I do blame him for Bosh. There was never any guarantee he was coming here. Hell, we didn't even know Bosh would be available until LeBron decided to go back to Cleveland. The Rockets initially had their sights set on Melo even though they already presumably were bringing Parsons back and needed a PF and PG.

So while foolishly wasting time on a big name free agent who did nothing to address the team's biggest needs coming off of that Portland loss and who had no intention of ever signing here, we missed out on Kyle Lowry would DID address the hole at PG, allowed Cuban to sign Parsons to a deal Les didn't wanna match, and then had to suffer the humiliation of Bosh rejecting us to resign with Miami for a max deal.

Next time, take the guaranteed deal and lock in someone like Kyle Lowry instead of wining and dining guys who have no interest in coming to the Rockets. We'll find out if Morey and Les have learned anything from the debacle 2 years ago in exactly 7 weeks when free agency begins.