1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Houston Rockets Salary Cap Update: Post-Trade Deadline Moves

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Mar 15, 2016.

1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

#1 BimaThug, Mar 15, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

3. GotGame15

GotGame15 Member

Thanks Bima!

4. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

As always, I greatly appreciate your updates!

5. Aydge

Aydge Member

Thanks Bima!

Can you shed any light on how the Rockets could make 2 max FA signings work? Also what options would we have after that? MLE? BAE? Is there more or less hope for Llull coming over this offseason as opposed to last?

6. basketballholic

Just curious your thoughts on this, Bima. But if the Rockets fall out of the playoffs do you think Morey would work a deal with Hinkie to take Jones and KJ off our hands to get us under the tax line?

I simply cannot see Les paying the tax for a non-playoff team.

7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Thanks, BT.

So, where are the Rockets in relation to FA? If DHo leaves how much cap space is likely to be available? If he is not renounced, how much cap room remains?

If DHo were to leave in an SnT (NYK, as a prime example, for RoLo?) where would that leave the Rox relating to available FA $?

Thank you for your edification (and dedication to CF)...x...

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Hey thx as always BimaThug,

I have a question: Did you mention the current salary in the article? I didn't see it.

Looks like we failed to get below the luxury tax, right? Especially with Beasley's salary adding more. And Goudelocks going above the Lawson savings of "$225,000" Did we gain salary?

Lawson was nearly a pure waive, with little cap help for this year.

#8 heypartner, Mar 15, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  9. clos4life

clos4life Member

First page of a Bima thread! Woot!

10. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Bima can you explain the implications of Thornton signing with the Wizards? Are they not responsible for his salary from now to the end of the season? Does that have no implications on our tax situation?

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

He did effectively explain it. We are paying Thornton's entire salary. When a player clears waivers, and is later picked up, the waiving team is responsible for his salary. See Josh Smith last year when Rockets picked him up.

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Great writeup, Bima!

Getting Beasley & Goudelock to help the team this season, and at the same time provide (cheap contract) depth for next season was a great move by Morey. Keep the books lean to offer those max contracts and still have decent depth to work with.

13. alethios

alethios Member

Tax burden aside, I think we're in a better place, roster-wise, than we were before the trade (almost) happened. We no longer have Lawson stinking up the place, and we have more scoring punch on the bench. Sure we could have used Thornton's scoring but I think we have a net gain in defense. Plus, we have a healthy DMo again (knocks on wood).

14. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Thanks for the nice comments, everyone.

No, I don't. Not at this point. The Sixers have already met the salary floor by claiming Sonny Weems off waivers from Phoenix, and I don't see Morey giving up the "assets" in McDaniels (young talent on a relatively cheap deal; at worst, salary filler to facilitate trades) and Jones's RFA rights (you never know) just to save a few million bucks.

Also, the Rockets want to be able to field a competitive roster if they have to clear out additional salary (Ariza? Brewer?) this summer to fit in two veteran max free agents. They might need McDaniels as a rotation wing next season depending on how things break this summer.

As noted in my OP, I'm saving the offseason cap room stuff until after the season ends. But the short answer is that the Rockets could have anywhere between $30 million and $44 million in cap room (depending on whose cap holds they want to keep on the books) without making any other trades. Those figures do NOT include Dwight's max cap hold, so they'd essentially need to use some of that room to re-sign Dwight. If not renounced or re-signed, Dwight will eat into a substantial portion of that room.

The Rockets are now about $3.27 million above the luxury tax threshold and about $242,000 below the hard cap. The reason for the discrepancy in those two figures (which ordinarily would add up to $4 million, the difference between the tax threshold and the apron level) is that the luxury tax savings from the Dwight and Lawson suspensions do NOT grant additional room under the hard cap.

The Lawson savings were effectively negated by the Goudelock signing. Goudelock's prorated minimum salary for this season is just over $200k.

1 person likes this.
  15. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I want this season to just end already so that I can begin pretending it never happened.

16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Thanks, again!

17. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Awesome, thanks. This is exactly the additional info I was hoping for after reading your solid post/article. Appreciate the details!

18. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Thanks. It is nice to know that we have enough money to sign two great players if they want to come here.

19. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

Bima, if DM leaves would you be open to taking his job?

20. BimaThug

Supporting Member

No, thanks. I see enough of the crap talked about Daryl on this BBS to know it's probably not worth it. :p