1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Active ex-Rockets of last 5 years - would they beat the current Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by omgTHEpotential, Mar 4, 2016.

?

Active ex-Rockets of last 5 years - would they beat the current Rockets?

1. Yes

41 vote(s)
    48.2%
  2. No

44 vote(s)
    51.8%
  1. omgTHEpotential

PG: Kyle Lowry / Goran Dragic / Aaron Brooks / Jeremy Lin
    SG: Kevin Martin / Courtney Lee / James Anderson
    SF: Chandler Parsons / Chase Budinger / Omri Casspi
    PF: Luis Scola / Patrick Patterson / Marcus Morris
    C: Omer Asik / Joey Dorsey

VS

PG: Patrick Beverley, Andrew Goudelock
    SG: James Harden, Jason Terry, Corey Brewer
    SF: Trevor Ariza, Michael Beasley, K.J. McDaniels
    PF: Donatas Motiejunas, Terrence Jones, Josh Smith, Montrezl Harrell, Sam Dekker
    C: Dwigh Howard, Clint Capela

1 person likes this.
  2. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

You mean Toronto?

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

If JB clones himself and coaches both teams, then both teams will probably lose.

4 people like this.
  4. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Can't even give you an honest answer. Our Rockets should be able to win, but they're just so unreliable this season. Remember when we thought they turned the curve on Christmas day?

5. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

the rockets can beat anyone them damn well please so yes they'd lose this game

1 person likes this.
  6. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Of course the old Rocket teams would win.

Have you seen some of the team's these guys have lost to and barely gotten past this year? Have you seen this team play? That old Rockets team would frustrate the hell out of these guys and have them bickering on the sideline.

The real challenge would be finding an old rockets team that COULDNT beat these guys.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I posted this a while ago, that is some turnover team - and why I believe our current philosophy of flip flip flip will always flop flop flop.

You also left out a few like Jordan Hill.

DD

8. Nimo

Nimo Member

The current team has advantages in the SG, and C positions. The SF is debatable. This current team did accomplish more than the other players have been able to but it's mostly because of the top two players.

9. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

New Rockets win on paper, other team wins in reality. Hmm...

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Better to stay with career backups like Jordan Hill - than kick the can down the road and add all-star Center like Dwight Howard.

DD

11. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

its better to win on paper than in reality. its a moral victory. we're still the swag champs. - daryl morey

12. DaDakota

Nothing wrong with bringing in Dwight, you can always trade players for them as well, and need contracts to match.

Don't need to kick that can down the road every year as we do.

DD

13. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Well according to ESPN's recent Player Power Rankings, LOWRY > HARDEN.

1. Curry
    2. LeBron
    3. Durant
    4. Westbrook
    5. Kawhi
    6. Chris Paul
    7. Lilliard
    8. Davis
    9. Lowry
    10. Harden

I would go
    Lowry/Dragic
    Dragic/Lee/Martin
    Parsons/Lee/Martin
    2Pat/Morris
    Asik/2Pat

8 man rotation and run circles around our present-day circus show.

Raptors have been one of my favorite teams since Lowry, 2Pat and Chuck Hayes who's not there anymore of course. I cheat on my Rockets with my Rockets of the North.

14. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

... so do the current Rockets get JB, and the ex get McHale?? Mchale wasn't great, but he'd out coach jb just in the rotation department alone... JB would play Brewer at every spot if he could clone him....

Also McHale has done more with less of a roster here already... If the west were tougher this year the current team would be lotto bound. However if you get a competent kid who plays 2k and can rotate players correctly the current Rockets might win, especially if they don't shoot 35 3's when they're not going in.

15. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Last year's team would smoke them. This year, this apathetic team doesn't stand a chance.

16. SamFisher

And to be clear if anybody is paying attention any longer, "kicking the can down the road" means "not doing exactly as I say and keeping my favorite players"

You suck at metaphors. You say the Rockets don't take risks. The Rockets take plenty of risks looking to land superstar players.

They are always waiting for the big payoff, the Harden, the Howard, the failed pursuit of Bosh or Anthony or whoever, rather than "well let's dump a truckload of money on Chandler Parsons and hope he turns into a superstar"

You instead advocate the safe course - although it's not really safe, given that most of your favorites end up not living up to your hype.

So basically, you don't want the Rockets to take more risks, you want them to take stupid risks like gambling that Aaron Brooks and Chase Budinger are, as you put it "alpha dog" franchise players or signing Bad-Back Motiejunas to a huge deal.

Take a risk to try to land Durant, or take a risk and stand pat (your predisposed path) - either way it's a risk.

I'd take the 20% chance of landing Durant than take the 1% chance that Motiejunas is going to turn into a Durant.

#16 SamFisher, Mar 4, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  17. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

If the Ex Rockets get Rick Adelman and the current bunch JB or the pathetic McFail, it's not going to be close.

Ex will easily win a 7 game series

18. DaDakota

I want them to build around Harden - find players who compliment him, and yes, in some cases KEEP them, Parsons and DMo for instance.

Instead we have Les and Morey who are Star ****ers who just chase those famous players because they are famous, never seeming to understand whether their game fits in with our top 5 player in Harden.

I mean HOWARD...really? The guy clogs the lane, is lazy, and aloof and wants the ball more than his skill level would normally allow....I understand the desire to try to make that work, but IMHO, his game will NEVER fit with Harden's....

We need catch and shoot players who move off the ball and can play good defense.

Ariza, Bev, DMo, Terry, and Capella (developing) fit, the rest of the team is not well thought out or engineered.

And I want the team to stop getting rid of competent coaches like JVG and Adelman and replacing them with bozos like McHale or even worse his understudy JBB.

So, I want them to take risks, but I want them to take the RIGHT kind of risk......I mean so many players we have released or traded would fit very well with Harden right now.

DD

19. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Speaking of star chasing....

We're sure as hell lucky we didn't match Cuban for "Broke Knee Parsons"

and we're sure as hell lucky "Broke Knee Carmelo" chose NY over us.

and we're sure as hell lucky "Broke Blood"....I can't joke about that...that's messed up for Chris & his familiy...but we dodged another bullet there.

20. SamFisher

First, you probably didn't say this at the time, which is when all moves should be judged due to the absence of time travel

Second, the Rockets went from a 40-win back-end playoff team to a 50+ win team immediately after getting Howard and had the best season they had in 20 years last year, losing to an all-time great team in the WCF's.

Yes, Howard....really. He took the Rockets further than Asik or Jordan Hill would have and the result was the best team in decades.