1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Immigration Crisis in Europe - what should be done?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Are you trying to miss the point intentionally? I'm thinking you are. When was the last skirmish between Finland and Sweden? 1809? The two nations haven been extremely close allies for almost 100 years now.

The Syrians and Israelis have had ongoing skirmishes over border disputes with Syria for over 40 years.....in no way are the two situations similar.

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Definitely. It's embarrassing.

3. malakas

malakas Member

yeah the rest of the world isn't under current threat from Islamism.
    Je suis Charlie.

4. malakas

malakas Member

aren't they?
    Let me see...only two weeks ago there was an Isis terrorist arrested by the greek coast guard when he tried to fit in with the rest of the immigrants.
    But only Israel is under threat from terrorists. Ok.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Everyone is under threat from "terrorists" but you have to admit that Israel is under threat from more than just "terrorists".

It would be like if there was a catastrophe in Russia, would you expect the part of Ukraine that Russia hasn't yet conquered to take on many Russian refugees?

6. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Of course it's telling; my point was that it's not surprising. It's very hard to understand (at least, as a westerner) the deep deep deep rooted racism* of ME countries until you actually see it.

*I use racism knowing full well it's a tad out of place here, genetically speaking**.

**That disclaimer is equally daft, but you know what I mean.

2 people like this.
  7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I have seen it, and know exactly what you mean.

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

By the way, it's pretty unbelievable:

Islamists are mass murdering scores of people in the name of Islam.

What do our resident leftists, political Islamists and anti-semites do?

They blame:

- the USA who supposedly are responsible for all of this, even for any anti-America murders
    - Israel - which is a target of Islamist terror, for not taking on refugees, while much, much bigger countries don't take on any either

Whom do they not blame for Islamist terror?

- the ideology of political Islam, in the name of which all these murders are being committed
    - those who fund Islamist terror (Saudi Arabia, Qatar for Sunni Islamist terror, Iran for Shiite Islamist terror)

#108 AroundTheWorld, Sep 7, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  9. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Atheist blame the Creator. Did he have any idea what he made humans capable of?

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

In migrant crisis, German generosity comes under fire

Pressure is mounting on Germany and other nations to scale back their generous policies welcoming refugees, with opponents, including some of the region’s most influential leaders, arguing that the promise of aid is enticing more and more asylum-seekers to make a break for Western Europe.

link

11. Nook

Nook Member

No country should have to take refugees if they do not want to.
    Not surprised Israel does not want to take any refugees in. There are potential terrorist issues and Israel doesn't especially like Muslims.
    The USA shouldn't have the response of Germany or other nations in Europe. The USA does not border Syria and is far away.
    Had the USA not supported the revolution, you would have been upset the USA supported a totalitarian right wing regime. The USA has no more obligation to Syrians than it does to other groups seeking asylum.
    It won't be long until Europe has had enough.

12. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Can someone explain to me why so many conservatives (or at least the ones on my Twitter and FB feeds) seem so hung up on the fact that the refugees have cell phones?

Like, how is that even relevant?

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am not defending those countries but IMHO they got not much resources other than crude oil and probably gas.....

14. Exiled

Exiled Member

Palestinians refugees from 1960s are waiting for a return to their land , let's not even consider the Syrians refugees.

15. malakas

malakas Member

Either you take every refugee to be a potential terrorist in which case no western country should accept them OR you take them as simple people in need and running from a war in which case Israel as a developed rich country should also take them.
    It's the one or the other. There is no middle ground and no faulty excuses.
    If Israel sees small parentless children with no home/food/money as terrorist just because they have brown skin speak arabic and are muslims then how can anyone defend this is beyond me.
    I have read some articles on this but I would be very interested to hear more if you want to elaborate.

Instead of labelling people are leftist or rightwing why should we not all be united in demanding a solution for this?
    Afterall blaming doens't help right now. Helping helps.

Israel shoudln't have more responsibillity than other countires like Great Britain or the racistic country of Hungary in taking refugees. They shouldn't be singled out but all equally asked to help. That is if they want to call themselves developed countries with some dignity.
    I don't know but OT...IT also surprised me. They ALL have cellphones. And most are smartphones too. You see people who carry one luggage with burkas and small children that are asking for food and where to stay and then they bring out their phone and it's the latest samsung model lol.
    I know it's totally irrelevant to this thread but just a little personal observation.

16. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I mean, it's not just irrelevant to the thread, it SHOULD be irrelevant to the entire conversation. The refugees are leaving because of war, not because they can't afford a damn smartphone. And if they're bringing a piece of luggage with them, why the hell wouldn't they ALSO bring their phone?

Makes no sense to me. Are people honestly expecting refugees in the 21st century to look extras out of Game of Thrones or something?

17. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

It's because most people who make posts like that have never been in a situation (or never had a family member be in a situation) where they have to leave their house in the middle of the night with one bag so they can avoid being murdered the next morning.

That's why idiots make comments like that.

Of course you'd take your damn cell phone.

18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

"potential threat" and "enemy" are very different things. When someone is an enemy, they ARE a threat, not potential threat. So, what is it? Are they enemy or just a potential threat? Or is potential threat = enemy in your worldview?

Unless you are wacko, nations at war try to avoid civilian causality. If refugees of wars are treated as enemy, they should go ahead and wipe out all the civilian while they are at it.

There is a huge difference between legitimate concerns with taking in refugee vs treating them as enemy. Unless you are wacko, you don't simply ever treat refugees as enemy, but you can always decide that you can't simply take them in.

19. malakas

malakas Member

No. It's completely irrelevant. Why it made an impression on me and other locals here? In my country that is the point of first landing in European ground for maybe the majority of the illegal immigrants/refugees (they aren't all of them refugees of war btw) there is a big crisis. People are unemployed don't have money and can't afford to buy the newest smartphones.
    So..when you have an immigrant or refugee with the latest iphone in hand, demanding to be fed, clothed and housed and be provided a ship to leave for free to the mainland, (cheapest ship ticket costs around 45 euros and the basic wage is 450 euros. So 1/10 of the salary for many ) it makes to you a GOD DAMN impression. Do you understand?

20. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And yet if they had the latest smartphone in their home but had to leave because of war, it would make complete sense that they had the latest smart phone, but not any food to eat in this new place where they don't know anybody and are there with thousands upon thousands of other immigrants.