1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Individual Awards for our Astros?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by MSBRockets, Sep 5, 2015.

1. MSBRockets

MSBRockets Member

Obviously there is still a month to go in the season, but what chances do some of our Astros have to nab some of the end of year awards?

For discussion purposes, I've listed out the main awards and the Astros I feel are most likely up for consideration. (All being American League of course)

Awards
    MVP
    Cy Young
    Rookie of the Year
    Manager of the Year
    Gold Glove
    Silver Slugger
    Comeback Player of the Year

MVP: I'm hearing it's between Donaldson and Trout, with Donaldson the likely victor. Probably no Astros, at least not this year.

Cy Young: Dallas Keuchel. He has some competition from Sonny Gray, David Price, Archer, Sale, and company. After watching Harden and JJ both get second because "their teams weren't as good" it would be a huge bummer if Keuchel lost this award to someone on a lesser team. It would be interesting to see if Kazmir or McHugh gets some votes too.

Rookie of the Year: Carlos Correa. I'm hearing he is the front runner. Maybe Sano on Minnesota can challenge. But with the Astros team success and the fact Correa is nationally regarded as a future superstar, I think he wins this going away.

Manager of the Year: AJ Hinch. Out of all the awards, this is the one I'm hoping for the most. I can't remember the last time a Houston manager/coach has won this award. Nor has been more deserving. This Astros team always plays hard, has defied expectations, and the clubhouse atmosphere has been flawless. I think AJ deserves this hands down.

Gold Glove: Obviously as reigning winner, Keuchel has a chance here. I really enjoy watching Marisnick play CF, but don't think he gets the national attention (probably deservedly so, as he isn't an every day player). Correa might have a chance at SS.

Silver Slugger: Astros have two likely Silver Sluggers. 2B with Altuve (league leader in hits) and SS with Correa.

Comeback Player of the Year: No real possibilities for an Astro here. Even considering our crazy turnaround, its been more young-bloods than a resurgent players. It's a shame this isn't switched to Most Improved Player. Regardless, this has to be Alex Rodriguez.. right? Other possibilities are either Manny Machado or Prince Fielder.

2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Coach of the Year (Near Lock)
    Gold Glove Pitcher (Heavy Favorite)
    Rookie of the Year (Heavy Favorite)
    Silver Slugger SS (Favorite)
    Cy Young (Leader right now, but still a very tight race)

Keuchel should be an unquestioned lock as the Gold Glove winner, but those are always chosen strangely. Given that he won it last year I expect him to repeat.

Correa is the favorite in his 2 awards, but he has competition for them both. He could lose them with a poor finish.

Altuve is clearly behind a few guys for the Silver Slugger at 2B. He is in the mix, but he needs a very strong finish. Correa is a solid glove man, but by the numbers he hasn't been elite. He shouldn't be in the conversation. Marisnick would be a contender, but is a part time player, so no go for him either.

1 person likes this.
  3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Agree with seal except Gold Glove for pitcher is a lock. GG vote tends to get divided between best defenders and best defensive great player. Keuchel is flat out the best defender and best defensive great player at his position so it won't be close.

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Keuchel - GG & Cy Young
    Correa - ROTY
    Hinch - Manager, assuming we hang on to win the division
    Altuve - GG

I think Xander Bogaerts will win the SS for SS, and Kipnis will win SS for 2B, but both Altuve & Correa have a chance to win either.

5. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Cy Young, K for sure
    Rookie of the year (Correa, Sano, Lindor) If Correa continues to struggle the last month then he will not win it.
    Manager of the Year This one is tough as many managers have done a good job. Girardi with all those injuries, Hinch with such a young team, even Molitor, who would have thought the Twins would be fighting for a playoff spot, i think Hinch will win it.
    MVP, well, Donaldson

GG, K, but as a team, i take our defense against any team, maybe with exception of Royals

6. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Carter = MUP
    Most Unimproved Player

7. joeson332

joeson332 Member

lol cold

8. msn

msn Member

ESPN has the Astros taking the Cy Young, ROTY, and MOTY. Predictions for ROTY are unanimous. :grin: :grin:

9. codell

codell Contributing Member

Cy-chel

10. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

1 month makes so much difference:

ROY: Lindor (If you say Correa, my favorite Astros player by the way) i would suggest to look at Francisco's numbers before you argue.
    Manager of the Year: Collins, and in the AL, if Rangers finish first then Bannister with Molitor close second.
    Cy Young, I still think K gets the AL Cy Young.
    GG K

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Why isn't Altuve at least in the conversation for MVP?

12. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

David Price should get the Cy Young. He doesn't have road woes like Keuchel.

13. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

The late September slide has removed the luster from all possible Astros award getters. Do not think any of them get a major award.

Cy Young - Price beats out Dallas.

Rookie of the Year - Lindor beats out Correa

Manager of the Year - Banister if Rangers make playoffs vs Paul Molitor if Twins make playoffs. John Gibbons if Toronto gets home field and if those teams back into the playoffs.

Silver Slugger - Only Altuve. Correa beat by Lindor.

Gold Glove - Only Keuchel is a finalist. Maybe he keeps it...

14. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

I think Keuchel has a chance to snag it back with his final start. Being able to have the "20 wins" feather in his cap in a close race like this may be the difference.

And I think you may underestimate the national media's love affair for Correa. I know Lindor has put up great numbers, but I wouldn't write Correa off by ANY means.

15. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Keuchel has a lower WHIP and a few more innings pitched than Price, he has also given up 4 less total runs. The Cy Young right now is as close to a toss up as you can get.

ROY and Silver Slugger at SS are also both extremely close, Lindor and Correa are going down to the wire. If Correa gets us into the playoffs it will give him a huge jump, this is also a rare time where national hype is working in our favor. Boegarts has also played many more games, he could still factor into the SS.

Altuve's strong play has gotten him into the running at 2B. I would give the edge to Kipnis right now, but it's really close.

Keuchel is a lock for GG at pitcher, or at least he should be. Hinch will definitely win manager of the year if we make the playoffs, despite how much hate he's getting around here.

1 award for sure, but as many as 6 are very real possibilities. All of them could come down to the final week.

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Lindor has a better average and a bit better OBP while Correa leads in slugging and OPS. Both are very good defenders. They go back and forth in WAR. Correa has more stolen bases and RBI and a better K to BB ratio.

Either one would be a worthy candidate. I think Correa gets the nod because of more national exposure due to his age, some prodigious home runs, a number of highlight reel defensive plays and the Astros being in first place (and the Indians an afterthought) most of the year.

17. juicystream

Keuchel leads Price in WAR by a good margin. I think he wins it if he pitches well in his last start.

18. juicystream

Team MVP is clearly Keuchel. AL MVP is clearly one of Trout/Donaldson. Altuve might garner a vote, but he doesn't necessarily deserve one.

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Depends on the WAR and whether you take defense into account in voting.

FIP-based fWAR gives Price a small edge. Keuchel has a big edge in RA9-based WAR (which tracks well with bWAR). FIP-based WAR does not take into account a pitcher's defense (which usually doesn't matter too much [a.k.a. within margin of error]). For Price versus Keuchel, there is over a win difference in their defenses.

I still think Keuchel wins, but will be a lot closer than I originally expected.

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I expect Keuchel gets more MVP votes than Altuve.