1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I.T. Help please: Internet not working

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by itony, Aug 31, 2015.

1. itony

itony Member

Comcast xfinity

Ethernet thru the modem and Internet works fine.
    Wireless and ethernet thru router doesn't work at all. Even got a brand new router to try and same thing.

Could it really be the modem even though direct hookup Internet still works? If so I'd like an explanation please

2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Sounds like a Comcast question

3. itony

itony Member

i'm using my own modem and router so i'm a bit skeptical about what they can offer me in terms of advice and help aside from the usual "restart this,restart that, lemme send you a signal" :(

4. Awesome

Awesome Member

call them, might be a router configuration that needs to be done

5. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Turn off your router.

Reboot your modem (wait for it to be fully synced), and then power on your router.

It should then obtain a WAN IP. Are you obtaining a WAN IP if you look in the router configuration page?

If that doesn't work, it's likely your modem has the mac address of your PC cloned to it.

If it's a motorola, try surfing to 192.168.100.1 via the router (despite it not having internet access) if you can get in, factory reset it so it'll release the last known CPE MAC

#5 Scionxa, Aug 31, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  6. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

^This

Also configuration to the modem as well if they haven't done it already. Usually has to be done if you are using your own modem and not Service Provider's

7. Scionxa

It's Comcast not Uverse (which requires all of their pieces of **** to be pseudo bridged if you want to use your own router)

There should be no configuration necessary, unless he was given a modem/router combo but that's doubtful if he claims to have have his own router

8. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Change DNS to 8.8.8.8

9. Scionxa

Never change DNS to Google or OpenDNS (unless you need the parental control feature)

It's placebo if you think your web pages are loading up faster, and your downloads from major sites, or streams from major sites (hulu,amazon,netflix) which are delivered via something called CDN's (content delivery networks) are being routed outside of your ISP to potentially congested routes.

Also, a CDN can't serve you content that is local to you as it uses the DNS IP, and not yours.

Google has made some advancements in the area, but it's still best to use what your ISP gives you.

If you use Netflix, and use Google DNS and happen to subscribe to to AT&T or Comcast, you're not able to take advantage of the peering agreement they recently signed.

If you're on Comcast, use 75.75.76.76 (their secondary is actually better)

If you're on Uverse, don't use 99.99.99.53 use 68.94.156.1 which is their anycast nationwide address

#9 Scionxa, Aug 31, 2015
  10. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I usually just say a lot of cuss words, kick the dog and say more cuss words. It usually comes back up like 10 minutes later and then I repent.

11. itony

itony Member

interesting indeed....i factory reset the modem like scion said and changed primary dns to 75.75.76.76 and that did that trick:confused:

what should i change the secondary dns to?

can someone please explain how the f that did it?

thanks! hopefully it sticks =/

12. Scionxa

Is your modem a Motorola SB6121 or SB6141?

If you attach a computer to it, it'll only allow internet to the MAC address of the device it had attached to it. (In this case, probably your computer)

When you factory reset it, it released it, and when you plugged your router back in, it was able to obtain a WAN IP. At that point you probably didn't even have to change the DNS.

You can use 75.75.75.75 as primary.

#12 Scionxa, Aug 31, 2015
  13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Try rebooting

14. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

do ipconfig through cmd with ethernet cable plugged in and tell us or take a screenshot of it

15. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

You may need to change your secondary IP to 11.23.12.23, if it still doesn't work then your LAN may need a new WPA-2 reconfig.

16. itony

itony Member

lol you're good! it's a sb6121