1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Qb situation

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by MambaJoe, Aug 25, 2015.

1. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

Being a Houstonian every year since Schuab was brought in I find my self checking for QBs that might be available the next year when the Texans draft. This year is no different. Thanks Ericstocracy for doing some of the work this year for me. I like the Goff kid as well( I will definitely be checking for his games this season). Unfortunately, I think you will see the Texans take Hackenberg and let him and Savage shoot it out for our QB of the future. I hope I'm wrong because I want to see this organization take chances and not be so predictable in there player evaluations and personnel selections.

2. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

If this is truly the case he should named the starter this year. They need to go ahead and let him take his lumps. He will either prove to be starter material or will be a disaster. If the latter the Texans can go 5 - 11 and be in better position to draft their future QB in 2016.

3. baubo

baubo Member

After spending a crapload of time explaining how the Texans had the cap to sign Peyton Manning and basically no one caring, I've come to realize that Texans fans are just a different animal from other fans. They are so much more accepting on management and whatever they say and do.

Rockets fans attitude pre-Harden, and even a bit post-Harden, had been "Why can't we get a star? Morey is a failure because he's just settling for mediocrity instead of greatness." Texans fans has always been, "We don't have a franchise QB, but franchise QBs are rare. Where are the franchise QBs around?" Yes, it's difficult to get a great QB, just like it's difficult to get a star in the NBA. Yet one Houston team pulled off the miracle because they kept trying. The other simply don't try and explain by saying it's too hard.

4. conquistador#11

i'm not liking this jimmy garoppolo.
    If he indeed was a B.O.B target, like outside media suggested, then not "reaching" for him with a second round pick thinking he'd be available with the first pick in the 3rd round, is going to turn out to be a huge blunder. If that's your type of qb, you get him and don't allow the patriots to pull of a patriots move and jump in right in front of you. =/

On the positive side, Garoppolo will be a free agent in 2019 since brady plans to play another 6 years.

5. Harden2Capela

Harden2Capela Member

garoppolo is not good.. why are texans fans so in love with garbage qbs

6. what

what Member

I never understood why the texans avoided a qb in that draft and this draft frankly. I guess they are okay with it, if they are then I am, too.

7. today

today Contributing Member

I've been saying this for 2 years now. Pretty frustrating to start the year knowing you don't have a chance to win the Super Bowl. We should swing for the fences and grab the best QB in the draft, trading up if we have to.

8. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

#hackenbergtohouston
    #hackenbergtohopkins

Just like harden to Howard......H to H boys in basketball and football lol

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Like it helped David Carr to take his lumps?

Rocket River

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Imagine how good Aaron Rogers would have been if he had taken his lumps instead of sitting on the bench for 3 years.

11. Remii

Remii Member

He's looked great... He's like a mix between Steve McNair and Big Ben. Good thing he plays for the Jags.

Hopefully Savage will work out. He has a great arm. I'm still holding out hope for him.

12. whag00

I was thinking more like Manning.

See I can play that game too!!!

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The exception that proves the rule.

14. whag00

Good point. If The Packers had Hoyer I'm sure they still would have put Rogers through a 3 year internship.

15. Mr. Clutch

What if they had Savage and Hoyer?

16. Major

Major Member

What a terrible response - Manning is not an exception at all. A lot of HOF QB's started on Day #1. Many of today's proven starting QBs did so - Manning, Manning, Stafford, Ryan, Luck, Wilson, Flacco, Tannehill, Newton, Dalton, etc. QB's regularly start as rookies and turn out just fine. That said, in the Savage discussion, it's not even about starting on Day #1 - it's about starting in Year #2.

If - and this is a big IF - they think Savage is their future starter, they need to find out sooner rather than later. Game experience is a critical part of the process and a year of learning *should* at least graduate him to that stage. If you wait until next year to start him, then 2016 becomes his "learning" year and you have to give him 2017 or 2018 to actually be upper-tier. If it doesn't work out, you're already at 2018/19 and basically much of the core you've built now is onto free agency or getting old, and you're starting over anyway.

The faster you start the clock, the faster you know whether it's time to move on. It's not like there's no talent on this team and he would be put out there to get pummeled (ala David Carr).

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

QB

Manning IS an exception....all HOFers are. That doesn't mean that there aren't others who can start year one and look pretty good (especially if their coach keeps the training wheels on them like with Russell Wilson). Funny enough, some of the QB's you named were talked about as borderline busts for the first several years of their careers, Eli and Average Joe come to mind.

Anyway, so far what we've seen from Savage in the preseason is that he's greatly improved over last season, but he still doesn't look anywhere near ready to be a starting QB. Maybe that changes at some point this season or next season, but there's no case for starting him now. After Hoyer ultimately and inevitably fails Savage will be one injury or failure away from being the guy. We could end up seeing him this year, but there's no reason to rush it.

18. Mr. Clutch

You don't have to throw them out there to develop them and see how they are progressing.

Fans have a need to "see" them but it's not a requirement for the coaching staff.

Mallet doesn't have much potential, which is why he was traded for a 7th round pick and then lost 2 QB competitions.

Schaub did have potential, and he was traded for two 2nd recond picks after sitting on the bench f or 3 years. He then became a Pro Bowl QB and had 5 really good years.

At some point, yes, they need to get game experience but for a guy like Savage who didn't get that much college time because of injury and transferring, it's not necessary because he has a lot of development that can be done in practice and study.

#38 Mr. Clutch, Aug 30, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  19. Mr. Clutch

Savage is probably one injury away right now.

20. Remii

Remii Member

Neither does Hoyer and Mallet... The Texans actually went backwards from Fitzpatrick.

Savage got time on the field last season and I expect to see the same this season.