1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CNN] Union: Pistol-whipped detective didn't shoot attacker because of headlines

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by GlenDice, Aug 13, 2015.

1. bmd

bmd Member

Cop spots a stolen car and pulls the driver over. Would this cop have been safer without a gun?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/g3vSyaVI4Q8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

His segway would have kept him safe....and if not, the goon squad would avenge him!

3. bmd

bmd Member

Michael Brown was coming at him. He wasn't running away.

It is against police protocol to shoot a fleeing suspect if they are unarmed. They are only allowed to shoot a fleeing suspect if they are armed and the police feel he is a threat to others.

4. bmd

bmd Member

:grin: lol

5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Certainly a better researched position than yours because what you said is absolute BS. In 2013 27 cops were killed in the entire country. ONE of those cops was killed while performing a traffic stop. These are the circumstances

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/u...niously-killed/leoka-felonious-summaries-2013

How did his gun help him? Not at all.

My source is the FBI crime statistics, is yours the butthole that you pulled that statement out of?

6. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There are certain patterns of human speech, body language, etc that are universal. They are actually fairly universal among hominids. Almost every mannerism of every young American male cop I come into contact with screams, "I'm the alpha male, submit to my authority or prepare to fight." It's like a magnet for starting ****. It's like having a tiger walk into another tiger's territory and pee all over everything.

Biologically, you either roll over and show your belly, or your autonomic nervous system gets ready for a fight. There is no reason that every interaction should be like a showdown between two lions.

Every female cop I've encountered naturally dosen't do it. All the older male cops I've encountered don't do it. I know most European forces spend a ton of time training at how to calm things down. Community policing, and PR, and "the public is the police" and all that stuff.

US policing practices appear to ignore the concept (unless every young officer is too stupid to learn, which I don't believe at all). Rather, the institutional paranoia drilled into young cops makes things worse, I believe - makes young cops view every encounter as a probable combat situation.

I don't believe for a minute that cops shouldn't have guns. It has been proven, however, that the simple act of carrying a gun causes a significant testosterone spike. A whole lot more training needs to go into countering the natural behaviors caused by that testosterone, but as far as I can determine, this is not on the US radar.

Serioudly, if you can find a UK police documentary, watch it then watch any episode of COPS, and compare how much more of a "swinging dick" the US cop is being. If you look for it and know anything about primate biology, it should be obvious how much more problematic the US behavior is for generating conflict responses. And, again, the policing system appears to actually reinforce that behavior.

#146 Ottomaton, Aug 14, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Your one randomly selected year has convinced me. Cops would be better off if they were defenseless. That said, off the top of my head, I remember at least 3 cops that have been killed this year alone while making traffic stops.....so maybe you should look into it more in depth before deciding that a segway and goon squad plan is feasible.

8. bmd

bmd Member

That is the number killed by firearms. Not the number that are shot at each year.

Take my uncle for example... he responded to a call and was chasing a vehicle. The vehicle blew out a tire and the guys got out and started shooting. My uncle shot them and he himself did not get hit and obviously did not get killed.

But he was shot at.

If officers weren't able to return fire, the number of them killed would skyrocket. The shootings that don't result in dead police officers would turn into shootings where the police are killed much more often.

9. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

So your sources and links are the top of your head and the inside of your ass? Congrats man, you have really "looked into" this thing much more than me and my "randomly selected" (ie most recent year data exists for) year that shows your statement was complete BS.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Here's 2 in the last month.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/memphis-police-officer-killed-during-traffic-stop-n402441

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...killed-routine-traffic-stop-article-1.2300640

11. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I know what Brown was doing.

12. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

My point is that American police officers need to be extensively trained before they are allowed to carry a weapon, the training they have now is insufficient.

13. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Just a thought: maybe police officers should just drive away when they see blacks committing crimes. After a while, non-black people will not open businesses in black communities, and white (and non-criminal black) flight will leave communities like Baltimore, Ferguson et al in charge of policing themselves. Of course, in those places there will be no stores, shops, fast food restaurants or anything else. Maybe that is the real goal of Black Lives Matter.

14. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That idea doesn't sound as good as the idea of trying to wipe out or at least limit the racism that has been going on for years in places like Ferguson and aren't even directly related to the Wilson case.

The idea of conducting business in a racist way, and then when people have been the subject of that racism act out abandoning them completely doesn't sound like a great idea.

It's odd for you to suggest that.

15. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's the "darkie should be grateful for all the while man does for him" line of reasoning that goes all the way back to the plantations when land owners were offended that the slaves didn't sing their praises for lifting them up from savagery.

16. thumbs

Agree with your thinking. However, Black Lives Matter looks intent on waging war on any police officer in a black community. So ... maybe society should let them police their own little anthills.

17. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Well this is the most bigoted thing I've read all day.

18. thumbs

My thoughts have nothing to do with bigotry, just practicality. It seems this is what the people of Ferguson, Baltimore et al are communicating. If they don't want the police there, the police should just leave well enough alone -- it seems safer for all concerned. However, the consequences may not be what Black Lives Matter activists anticipated socially, politically or economically. As businesses, both white and black owned, move out to safer neighborhoods, the riot-prone populace will discover that jobs leave and commutes to buy goods and services get longer and longer.

#158 thumbs, Aug 15, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes trying to stop police brutality and racism is somehow a "war on cops"

20. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think what they don't want is bigoted method of policing that has been documented in Ferguson for years. Trying to sacrifice a community because you don't like the response to that bigoted policing by groups like BlackLivesMatter in order to teach that organization a lesson just doesn't seem like a good idea for anyone.