1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[FENDER] Guitar players

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Surfguy, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

So, I'm in the market for a Fender Stratocaster and I'm torn on which model to get. I think when people think of a Stratocaster...they think of the SSS models with SSS meaning three single coils (basically, the configuration they are known for). However, that always fires off the debate of cycle 60 hum that comes with those models (depending on the position of the pickup selector). Some people love the hum and say it's part of the trademark stratocaster sound...while others...not so much because of the interference and problems inherent in recording (which I'm not really doing much of). I think one of, if not, the most popular newer stratocasters is the American Standard SSS with the Fat 50s. Then, there are models with the noiseless pick-ups (e.g. N3s) that don't suffer from the cycle 60 hum but are reigned in to where the tone is not all it can be and the sustain may suffer due to use of larger magnets in the pick-up. But, we all know a good tube amp can make even a bad guitar sound good. Pickups are important but they are nowhere near the only factor.

I do want the classic Stratocaster sound at times with the clean tones but I want the modern features (like compound radius neck, locking tuners, 2 point tremolo, etc.). I've been looking at the HSS model (humbucker....single coil....single coil). I also like to play some heavier stuff with hard rock, including some Metallica. I feel like maybe I need that humbucker for heavier stuff and the cycle 60 hum on the Fat 50s won't work as well for distorted and heavier stuff.

I'm looking at the American Deluxe HSS Shawbucker model (that features the Shawbucker humbucker at the bridge and single coil N3s at the middle and neck). This guitar is modern and feature heavy. But, it's also $500 more than the SSS model with Fat 50s ($1299).

Just wondering what other guitar players thought who may play Fenders. It would be my first Fender after playing a PRS for a while. I also like the maple fretboard over the rosewood...even if the maple fretboard may wear down faster (not a problem for me I imagine).

I guess the main thing for me is how is the action and how does it feel to play. After not really playing one my whole life until recently, I find it to be quite the joy to play (I'm borrowing a HSS model that is an entry-level but plays like a dream imo).

Anyway, some of you may own one or more of these models. I'm looking for your input. I'm wondering if it would be a mistake to buy one of these models and, instead, go with something like the Eric Clapton Artist Series Stratocaster (non-custom shop). It's a tough decision. I also have a very good Fender tube amp to use. One of the key things about Fender guitars that drew me in besides the awesome action/feel is the ability for these guitars to stay in tune. That has been my biggest headache with my PRS. I like that the American Deluxe HSS has locking tuners, two point bridge, and a LSR roller nut for even more tuning stability. And, I absolutely do not want a Floyd Rose tremolo.

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

If you've has an American PRS , then the fender will feel like a downgrade in terms of playability. Those guitars are just made so well. Also if you're going to go with a strat, why not find a nice Mexican strat? You'll have to do son sitting by by ii can get one that's almost just as good

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

HSS is a compromise. If you have other HB guitars stick with the 3 singles. Kinda the point in having more than one guitar. Don't fear maple. It is only a problem if you refret with a guy who sucks, and then only if you refret. Have had my maple for a LONG time and just dressed and leveled the frets when needed.

Bone nut > pointless roller

Anyways just my feeling, if you want a strat get one, not a r****ded stepchild.

4. Surfguy

I own a PRS CE 24 fret. I'm pretty sure it's American made. My understanding is only the SE models are made out of country in South Korea. As far as playability, a big part of it is the body contour as it effects my picking ability. The PRS imo promotes bad habits, especially when played sitting down. For me, my forearm tends to rest on the body and it affects my ability in both control and motion. When I play the strat with it's body contour, I have zero issue and my forearm is full motion not hindered at all by that "fat" body on the PRS. Also, I am playing a Made in Mexico (MIM) strat now and the neck/fretboard playability is easier and better feeling than the PRS. I feel I play the strat better and it's not as hard on my hands. But, the PRS is a rosewood fretboard compared to maple on the Fender. I do admit other factors, such as guitar setup for each, could color the results of how each guitar plays. But, I'm really sold on the Fender body contour and ability to stay in tune. I haven't had much luck with keeping my PRS in tune even with their locking tuners. But, I also probably need to get it in the shop to be looked at by a guitar tech. I may have a bad tuner.

#4 Surfguy, Aug 11, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  5. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

Are you playing professionally? That's the most important question.

If not, then you're worried about the wrong details. Just try them all out and you'll be able to feel which one is the right one. I love the stratocaster sound because it reminds me of the music I first listened to and learned how to play. I'm sure one of them will feel more right.

6. Surfguy

Hmm. Sit on the can to get one? That's scary. Who or what do I have to smuggle back? ;)

7. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Don't play guitar, but I'm a musician who LOVES all things music.

Absolutely love this thread and look forward to more posts. IMO, we need more threads like this.

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I have a Mexican strat. It has 6 strings. That's about all I know about it. I just put on my Baby Boomer and create lush soundscapes.

9. roxxfan

roxxfan Contributing Member

I can get my balls to play a C major chord while fapping.

10. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I prefer humbuckers, not a fan of 60 cycle hum. With that said I've strongly considered going back to Fenders (either a Tele or Strat, single coil on either). I currently play a modded PRS SE Custom 24.

11. jw1144

jw1144 Contributing Member

As others have mentioned, go with the SSS. That single coil sound is what the strat is all about (although I admit I rarely use the bridge pickup). If you want a humbucker guitar, go with a 335 or les Paul. I guess maybe I'm a traditionalist when it comes to guitars.

12. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

you aint making the sky cry with humbuckers brah! you want the strat sound than do it right! its all about the single coil! and a good tube amp!

what is your price range?

i scored an american standard with fat 50's a couple years ago. on clearance at guitar center for $900. i went to like 5 guitar stores trying out all the strats i could get my hands on and i liked the way this one played best (for my price range of under $1200). this guitar through my 76 deluxe reverb is creamy goodness.

if you were thinking about dropping some cash have you considered going vintage and getting something that will hold its value?

#12 jo mama, Aug 11, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  13. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

As others have said, if you already have a guitar with HBs on it, then get the SSS. If you're going to get a Strat -- get a Strat.

It's a versatile, legendary guitar, and if my kid ever wanted a starter guitar I'd buy her a Squier Strat, but I'm not a huge fan. Three of my four guitars have single coils on them, but they're weird single coils. One is the Brian May/Seymour Duncan pickup guitar that gives you an HB sound when they're played together (though the neck pickup by itself is straight up Hendrix), the other is a Danelectro with the lipstick tubes, and the other is a P-90 on an Epi LS Junior.

But, yeah, if you're already splitting time between other instruments, you might as well go all in. I understand that you want a bit of versatility and grabbing one with a HB in the bridge would allow for that. My fourth guitar is a gorgeous 335 but I play it the least because though the 335 sound is unbeatable, I'm still only getting a small range of sounds.

The issue is, as you're bashing around and making your new Strat sound like a PRS (no comment) while using the humbucker, are you going be missing that classic single coil sound? Or is it all about the body shape and feel?

EDIT: I missed the part about you playing Metallica-style stuff while helping my damn wiener kids go to school, and was paying more attention to your handle and associating you with a Dick Dale-type. It sounds like it is all about shape, feel, tuning and losing that annoying hum to you, which is fine! Go for the super-Strat, crank it.

#13 KellyDwyer, Aug 12, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  14. Beck

Beck Contributing Member

Talking about range of sounds on a strat...

I have had a Fender standard (Mexican) strat for about 10 years. I recently had Custom Shop 69 pickups installed and changed the wiring a little. The top knob as a master volume, the middle knob as a master tone, and the bottom tone knob as a blender pot. Now, in Position 1 (usually bridge only) I can blend in some of the neck pickup, or go 50/50 neck and bridge for a telecaster sound. Position 2 and 4 allow you to blend all 3 pickups together. Really gives a lot of sound options...and the custom shop 69s give you classic strat tone. Lots of quack in position 2, and real SRV like tone in position 4.

15. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Don't hate. :)

I've had my PRS since December. While it's not an American PRS, and neither were either of the Fender/Squires I've owned -- I've played a fair amount of guitars and the PRS SE I have is killer.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I've had and still have both (I barely play anymore). I prefer single coils. It probably depends what kind of music or tone you want to play. I like the whiny single coils better.

17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm a Les Paul guy and own a Les Paul and an Ibanez that is a copy of a Jazzmaster. Having played so long on Gibson and Gibson type guitars I have a hard time adjusting to the feel of Fender type guitars, neck width and location of controls. My drummer has a cheap Telecaster, don't remember the model, which I've played on a couple of occasions as a back up but I always have issues with hitting the knobs, especially playing live.

I don't mind the sound of Fenders and agree with the other posters if you want a Strat get the three single coils. Don't worry about the hum as that is part of the sound. If you can adjust with the playability issues then go for the classic sound.

18. CCorn

CCorn Member

Get the i9 HSH and you'll be happier than you'd ever be with a strat.

19. AkeemTheDreem86

DO buy a guitar for the tone of the neck and pickups, and the feel of the neck and body.

DON'T buy a guitar for the action. You will want to get almost any new guitar a new setup anyway.

DO go to Rockin Robin and check out their selection of used/vintage guitars.

DON'T just buy a new American standard. They're not that good anymore, especially for the price.

Oh, and please just get a bone nut.

20. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

As opposed to which era? 80's where the japanese versions were miles ahead? 90's with the swimming pool routed out under the pick guard? 70's with huge headstock?

What about the current is worse than the previous specifically? If the price is too high for you that is different than saying the standard has slipped.