1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zach Lowe: Terrence Jones could be asking for $15M per year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bigred77, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

This year No. That's for all intents and purposes a max deal under the current cap.

Next year when the cap expands .... That 15-18m figure is equivalent to ~9m-11m now in terms of cap percentage. I could see DMo getting a deal in that neighborhood with next years cap figure.

2. malakas

malakas Member

If SOME team wants to go nuts???
    Do you undestand that the whole market has changed? It doesn't appear you have yet. The 15 is the new 8. Get with the new program.

And losing ANY asset for nothing is nothing to laugh about. But I suppose your hatred for Jones will make you glad he's gone even if it will hurt the team right? :rolleyes:
    Exactly. And Capela smh is worth a top5 pick as well. :rolleyes:
    The perspective in this forum about the teams players is seriously flawed all because of a couple of posters.
    If you make a poll and ask neutral fans from other teams they will most tell you he's worth a top 20 first rounder and that's ONLY because he expires and the market dictates every single team in the league will have to pay big bucks.

3. malakas

malakas Member

Next year the rookie max goes to 20 million. The year after that it goes to 25 million. Then the year after that it will dip a little.

So at 15 million per for next year that is 5 year less than rookie max and a good 10 million less than the rookie max in two years.
    We are in for a very entertaining offseason next summer. That's for sure.

4. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

As you talk about the new reality of the NBA economy I realize how thankful I am we have a guy like DM at the helm who.....you know.....is an economist.

I'm a real estate investor in DFW and the price per sqft is rapidly increasing. To be an active player in an economy like this you have to know your market and when to buy in. People might balk at a $250k house today that was only $180k 2 years ago thinking its way over priced in the old economic reality, but the investor that knows the market can always anticipate where the fair market price will go years down the line.

All that to say I think morey's history of transactions and educational background makes him uniquely advantaged when it comes to understanding and predicting a micro economy like the NBA and I trust him to evaluate things a whole lot more than anyone else on this board. And that's not a knock at anyone on this board which I think is far more educated than most other boards thanks to guys like Bima.

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Paying Jones more than Harden? What could go wrong?

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't "hate" Jones, I just get tired of his Lin-esque fans constantly pretending he's something he's not.

8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Nobody is being like a Lin fan with Jones, you and Bballhollic are just undervaluing him on a Rockets forum, when you undervalue a Rocket player on a Rockets forum, Rocket fans will speak up about it.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's a bench player. We all agree on that right?

10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Not really, Jones has started 87% of his games over the last 2 seasons. He's going to fight with Dmo for the starter position this year, one will become a bench player on will be a starter.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And that's why I say you overrate him. There's almost no way Jones starts if DMo is healthy. When you overrate a bench quality player, other people are going to point it out.

12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Thing is you have no idea whether Dmo or Jones will be starting, even if both are healthy. Your pretending as if Dmo is far superior even though their stats are pretty equal if not favoring Jones. Dmo has never played meaningful minutes in the playoffs either.

Jones breakout season was last season, gluing DMO to the bench. Jones gets injured most of the year and DMO has a breakout season. We will see (if healthy) who will really earn the starting PF position this year, but until then lets not pretend like we know who is going to have it because neither player will be gifted the role.

13. malakas

malakas Member

I have faith in Morrey. As for the education of the forum I disagree. Most seem know about the current cap situation of the Rockets (thank god for Bima) but a big percentage of the posters ignore the consequences of the cap rise.
    and keep in mind the nba market is not a free market.
    The teams in cotrast to your clients are OBLIGED to spend 90% of the cap. And more than that the players on the roster come the regular season cannot surpass 15. So this money have to be spent on 15 players and the players available come from a very limited pool in free agency.

Next year's pool of free agents is extremely poor.
    So there will be more than 15 teams with 20+ million (in some cases 40+) that they have to spend and noone to spend them on. Certainly not anyone who would be worth that money compared to the previous cap reality.
    If you can tie 12-15 to a young player like Jones or DMO who has more theoritical upside and you can lock him up with that for the majority of his prime? That's one of the best investmenets you can make next summer.

Read this : http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13406651/tristan-thompson-cleveland-cavaliers-remain-far-apart
    LOL
    This is proof right there. And none of those replying can be accused of being a homer. Thanx for doing it. :)

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It basically comes down to if you trust the coaching staff to do the right thing. IMO that's been a mixed bag, but I think by now just about anyone could figure out that DMo is the guy you want to start and Jones is the guy you want coming off the bench (or that you want to trade if Harrell and Dekker can do the job adequately).

Now all of that said, if Jones shows up this season better than he's ever been before, finally figuring out the mental side of how to play offense and defense, and is shooting the 3 at a higher level than ever, then sure, he could give DMo of last year a run for his money.

15. malakas

malakas Member

the famous fans of Lin accuse anyone and everyone who doesn't bow to his majestic "superstar level talent" of being a racist. I have never seen any of this with Jones EVER. :confused:

And I firmly believe you and bballholic do not have a healthy view of Jones. You don't like him. Fine. But you are still Rocket fans and as fans you should NOT want the team to lose one of their assets for nothing or consistently put him down and his value around the league.
    If you don't think that the team should be the one to pay that money to Jones that's fine. But this is the new market. A bench vet player will be getting 10+ per .
    Does this mean that Jones is a star? NO. Or he will be one? Most likely not. It just means that there is more money to be spent and Jones and DMO will be some of the ones to get them because they become free agents at the best time possible for them. Good for them.

For the record I think that a) we should extent them before next summer b) trade one of them before next summer because paying both of them 15+ per is very unwise.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I like Jones just fine, I just don't overrate him and think he's something he's not. He's an athletic hustle player who plays very little defense and is an inconsistent shooter. That's okay for the bench, but to start? Maybe on a team with no other option, but certainly not the Rockets.

I also don't think you need a very good player to replace Jones' role on the team, personally I think by the end of the year there is a good chance that Harrell and Dekker can take over the backup PF minutes adequately enough to trade Jones to get something for him....but even if that doesn't happen and Jones walks at the end of the season to a team willing to give him a ton of cash...he's still not hard to replace.

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Stop repeating the same thing a million times Bobby. You are adding zero to the discussion.

18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Hey, I can agree with you on this, I hope both Dmo and Tjo have breakout seasons and kick ass.

I don't agree that Dmo is clearly the guy at this point, I'll reserve my opinion on that until we at least get a quarter into the the season. Both have their strengths, and weakness.

Jones is a superior rebounder, shot blocker and doesn't t/o the ball as much, high fg%, draws more fouls.

Motie is a superior post player, better 3pt shooter at a higher volume.

19. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

It is possible to have 2 players on a roster that are both starting caliber players. I'm not saying either one is an All-star but at this point in the careers both could be starters on several NBA teams.

Personally I feel D-Mo is the better fit with the starters however Jones started out last season looking very good as the starter before nerve damage. Like I've been saying let them fight it out and see what else shakes out on the team and the league, no need to panic even with both being FA next year. At least ride it out till Dec. 15th or whatever the trade deadline Morey likes to use to re-trade players in February.

Bottom line is they both show promise and both show weakness but neither have logged more than 3600 minutes. Many young players start refining their game around 4000-6000 minute mark. David West for example at 25 in his 3rd year started showing signs after 4000 minutes. Cliff Robinson took 4 years before he looked really good about 6000 minutes into his career. Some players have it right of the bat others take time to reach their ceiling.

20. basketballholic

Malakas, you are the one distorting the record. I have told you very clearly I am the biggest homer here. There's nothing I'd like more than for Jones and DMo and the rest of the roster to become superstars in their Rockets uni. That would make us a great team and a championship team.

Please stop with the stupid, r****ded, "you should not want the team to lose one of their assets for nothing" type comments. You're wasting bandwidth that r****ded stuff. I don't want the Rockets to lose assets for nothing. I've never advocated that. And it's stupid for you to suggest I have. Got it? I AM A ROCKETS FAN ONLY! I don't want the Rockets to lose either. I don't want Terrence to be a bust. I don't want any Rockets player to be a bust. Get that through your thick noggin and stop posting total crap suggesting I want the Rox to lose and for their players to bust. That's absolute total buffonery on your part.

Do not have a healthy view of Terrence????? I have no idea what that means. But if it means Terrence's jump shot hasn't improved, and if it means Terrence's defense is lacking, and if it means Terrence's rebounding is mediocre and going south, and if it means Terrence is terribly overmatched against playoff teams.....then it's true that we don't have a healthy view of Terrence. And if having a healthy view of Terrence means we turn a blind eye to his game and skill set improvement or lack thereof and we're willing to say he's something he's not nor is he likely to become (lie) and we aren't willing to tell the truth about what he is or he is likely to become than we probably don't have a healthy view of him. Of course, you'd probably have to lump Clutch himself in with us since he's pretty much stated in conservative terms that Jones is the most likely guy traded.

Don't like him? No, I DO NOT LIKE TERRENCE IN THE PRIMARY ROTATION OF OUR TEAM WITH HIS LIMITED SKILL SET DEVELOPMENT, HIS LACK OF A JUMP SHOT, HIS SLOW DEFENSIVE ROTATIONS, HIS SUBPAR DEFENSE, AND HIS SUBPAR REBOUNDING. Basketballwise, you shouldn't like him either for those things. But then again, you're not really as big a fan of the Rockets as we are. Your team is the Bucks. As far as liking him as an individual? I have no opinion on that. I don't know the kid personally. And don't care to. I do know what he is on an NBA basketball court. Stop with the stupid rhetoric.

Extending these guys without trading them (with the mindset that you can just flip them later) is absolutely the stupidest thing Morey could do in terms of managing the cap. Absolutely the stupidest thing he could do. First of all, you're not going to be able to extend them except you agree to a high dollar figure, most likely a max dollar figure in DMo's case. I'd bet you could probably get Terrence to agree to an extension for 4/60 or 4/65. But then what? If you dont' have the trade already lined up with another team agreeing to take them and their extended deal....now you're stuck. Then you go into the regular season and one or both of them suck it for the season....and then Morey is in a terrible hole. He's gotta figure out how to dump them to have space to get a guy like Durant or Cousins.

The downside is too great to extending them. And we need the cap options next summer with ONE OF THEM being on a lower cap hold!!!!

Your recommendation of extending both guys is STUPID and utterly INSANE!

HINT: If you don't want to read me calling your stupid suggestions stupid and r****ded, then clean it up and quit bloviating crap about what my view of Terrence and my team is and be realistic. Otherwise when you mention me and distort my record of what I've said about Terrence and you attempt to label me as wanting my team to fail, or wanting any of our players to fail, or wanting to see us give away assts for nothing, then I'm gonna come right back at you and expose you when you make STUPID suggestions on what my team needs to do.

#400 basketballholic, Aug 10, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2015