1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zach Lowe: Terrence Jones could be asking for $15M per year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bigred77, Aug 4, 2015.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I don't think a lot of people hate TJones' guts (except for maybe one or two outspoken people).

People just point out his major, noticeable flaws. His effort is not consistent, at all. He has all of the tools, but he made some key blunders in the 2015 playoffs on the defensive end and really shrank away from some tough situations. It's OK to admit that, right?

2. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Can't really judge him until he has a healthy season.

3. dmoneybangbang

I bet we let TJones go for nothing after he has a solid season because it's more beneficial to let his contract ride out compared to what we could get in return.

4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Nobody is rooting for Jones to fail (outside of basketballholic). It's just not hard to see that he is not close to making a serious impact in the postseason against Western Conference big men. The odds of a drastic leap forward are slim at best.

5. rcketsfan1

rcketsfan1 Member

I could see TJones significantly benefit from playing with Lawson. Jones can get up and down the court very quickly and should get a lot of easy buckets from Lawson. We'll have to wait and see, but this could be the change he needs.

6. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Lawson will get TJones paid just like Curry got DGreen paid.

7. basketballholic

r****ded for you to cast me in the light of rooting for Terrence to fail, JSizzle. You should be better than that. (But I guess you're not.) I'm the biggest homer there is here. I have absolutely NO REASON to root for Terrence's failure. AND.I.HAVEN'T. So get your thick head out of the sand box. Nothing would make me happier than for Terrence to become a great player.

But it's not in the cards. And all I've done is keep it real here in the middle of many posters going crazy because Terrence put up a big box score against a middling opponent.

I have only pointed out to you and the rest here multiple times why Terrence is nothing more than a JAP (Just Another Player).

Terrence turning the corner and all of a sudden becoming great at this point is about 10,000 to 1. It's simply not going to happen.

8. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

His problem isn't scoring easy buckets, his flaw is guarding opposing 4's.

9. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Or more to the point, we keep Dmo(more consistent - can play the 5) and use Jones as a trade chip/flexible piece to see if he can squeeze a 2nd rounder from a team by offering them the ability to trade for Jones at a lower cap hold so the other team can make a run at other free agents with their cap space.

1 person likes this.
  10. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Did you just compare Curry and Green to Lawson and Jones!

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

For all the idiots here that still can't grasp the full explanation of what Zach Lowe was getting at when he threw out that 15 mil a year number, Lowe explains in yesterdays podcast what the heck he was talking about, and how that negotiation would probably work out in this scenario.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/t...e-jazz-the-sixers-and-other-intriguing-teams/

The extension conversation starts at the 44 minute mark FYI, and the Jones negotiation convo is talked about shortly after.

But most of you won't listen, or will only have selective listening, and keep on buggering about saying "uhhggh.. no way he's worth that... TRADE HIM... Dude sucks, he's a scrub.... ughgghhh"...etc. etc.

12. dmoneybangbang

I'm sorry but TJones was good against more than middling opponents before his injury(s). People are allowing his playoff appearances dictate their perception of him when he went against the best bigs in the league. We don't need him to be great and he's already shown us can be good.

There's nothing to suggest, metrics-wise, that TJones is "just another player", which I take to mean league average. He may not be a top ten PF in the conferance or may never be, but our FO thinks enough about him and his contract that it was enough to show JSmoove he may not be getting a lot of minutes.

1 person likes this.
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well he's got only one more season left, healthy or not, he'll have to be judged. He's gotta show that he's a better player than he's ever shown before.

14. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

all I said was that Lawson will bring out the best in TJones. Curry brings out the best in Green.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Will Lawson and TJones play together all that often? Lawson is a starter, Jones isn't. I'm sure they'll stagger the minutes a bit, but that's still somewhat limited time isn't it?

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

there's no guarantee that dmo is starting over jones and vice versa so there's no reason to assume so at this point, but both will see plenty of time with lawson regardless

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well health would be the only thing that would make DMo not the starter. When it comes to quality of play, there's no question at all.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

not going to make this another dmo vs tjones debate. just wanted to point out the starting pf position is not solidified right now no matter what anyone says.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Fair enough, you are obviously free to think that, but I'm pretty sure the starting PF position is pretty solidified....no matter what anyone says.

Unless Jones gets A LOT better than he's ever been before, or DMo has lingering health issues, there's no question who the starter is. Jones just doesn't have the skill set to compare with DMo.

That said, I could see why some Jones fans would be holding out hope.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

In the end, i don't really care who the starter is as long as the pieces fit and it maximizes each players ability to produce to their strengths and contribute to the team.