1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

RIP Craig Rassinier -- FattyFatBastard's Dad ... A Great Texan!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by heypartner, Aug 2, 2015.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

This is Jim's [FattyFatBastard's] Obit he wrote and posted on FB. He gave me blessings to share with y'all.

[​IMG]

I hope I made him proud with this Obit. It's my first one. He'd always been the one who did them, just like everything. He was always there for us, and I'm going to miss him terribly. Rest now, Dad. You're in good hands.

Houston — Craig Rassinier, 68, passed on 8/1/2015 at his home with his loved ones after a courageous battle with lung cancer over the past two years.

He leaves his wife of 45 years, Celia (Davis) Rassinier; his sons, Jim, Nick, Jon and Kerry; His Daughters Becca and Cori; and his grandchildren Derrick, Bryce, Bronson, Madison, Meagan, Barrett, Brock and Levi.

Born in Oklahoma (?!?) he moved to Texas as fast as he could. The son of Edgar and Bea, he has been a proud resident of Houston, TX since 1950.

Craig graduated high school from Sewanee Military Academy in 1965 and shortly thereafter met his wife, Celia, who would be by his side throughout his life. After graduating from Texas A&M in 1969, he joined Exxon as a shipping Captain. He went on to hold several prestigious positions with Exxon until his retirement in 2009.

Notable moments in his life include being one of the first people in the world to save a choking child using the then rarely known Heimlich maneuver, saving his 3 year old daughter's life by physically jumping in front of a 1 ton sled, and willing to risk his entire career by trying to save men from drowning in the Exxon Valdez shipwreck aftermath. [Edit] He was portrayed in the documentary movie "Dead Ahead: The Exxon Valdez Disaster ". http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104060/fullcredits/

The man truly loved to help his family and his fellow man. A devout Christian, his final words were "Here I come, Here I come, Here I come." He was our rock, and we will all dearly miss him.

I'll end this the way he ended every text he ever sent us. "God is good, all the time."

Jim further said this in his FB responses:

"The best part? He was saying "Here I come" twice and I said is he saying "Here I Am?" And, he basically said his last words to me "Here I come!" loudly. Pretty sure if he'd been able to say "Dumbass" he would've done so. Just a fantastic moment that I'll never forget.​

Donation Information:

For those wanting to take the moment to pay tribute to a fine man, the family suggests donations to Cancer Research at

https://secure.lungcancerresearchfoundation.org/donate

Love ya, Jim. Thanks for sharing with us. Your dad was a great man.

[​IMG]

#1 heypartner, Aug 2, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
    Roscoe Arbuckle likes this.
  2. heypartner

FFB says any and all derogatory posts are welcome, if you donate $10 to the cancer research above.

Get at it, you dumbasses!

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

My condolences, Fatty. Sorry for your loss.

4. heypartner

For those donating, click the "Tribute Gift" then "In Memory Of"

Craig Rassinier

5. heypartner

[Edit] I posted a link to the Youtube 10 part series of the movie Captain Rassinier was portrayed in. But maybe don't want this to be a debate about the Exxon Valdez spill. It's available if you want to watch. FFB thinks he's in Part 3, if you want to watch.

#5 heypartner, Aug 2, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I just saw this on Facebook and a very moving obituary. Thanks for posting it here Heypartner.

7. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I also saw it on fb and thought Jim did such a great job of honoring what sounds like a great man that will be missed dearly.

I've been going through struggles with my own dad lately, who suffered multiple strokes last week and had to have his leg amputated a few days ago. It's one of the most difficult periods of my life, and I can only imagine the pain that Jim and family are going through right now. Take care friend, and don't be afraid to lean on others for help during these dark days.

8. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

RIP Mr. Craig

Thoughts and prayers

9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

RIP. Great Obituary, sounds like a great man who lived a great life.

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Sorry for your loss, FFB.

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

RIP Mr. Rassinier.

Cancer is a terrible thing.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm so sorry for your loss, Jim. In a world full of a lot of absent fathers, you were so lucky to have one who was clearly such a great guy. Peace to you.

13. Buck Turgidson

My dad passed 6/2014 after a several months illness that had him in and out of hospitals and eventually in a nursing home for the last couple of months. It is really indescribably tough, but you did give some solid advice: It's great to try and be a rock for the rest of the family, but you cannot try to be so strong that you neglect yourself.

14. Precision340

Precision340 Member

RIP Mr. Rassinier.

15. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Sad to read, but he sounds like a great man, a great father and he lead one hell of a life! Sorry for your Loss FFB. I can't even fathom the day I lose one of my parents. I will just be crushed.

I've lost 5 family members in the past 3 years due to cancer. **** cancer.

16. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

17. droxford

droxford Member

Thoughts and sentiments out to you and your family, Jim! RIP

18. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

What a nice gesture by DM.

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

The gesture by DM and Batman Jones was amazing. It reminds me why I fell in love with this place originally.

Jim, I'm very sorry for your loss, but happy that you had an amazing father. Prayers for you and yours during this time.

20. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Thanks, Batman. That was a nice reminder that this little place on the internet is a tight knit family. It's been a long long time since I felt that way. Really, thanks.

I've met a quite a few people on here, but haven't been lucky enough to meet FFB. I'm really sorry for your loss and wish your dad a nice rest. There's no doubt he deserves it.