1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Man shoots down drone hovering over house

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by CometsWin, Jul 30, 2015.

1. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Member

Looks like the gun owner lied.

Also if true, 200 feet is not justifiable grounds to shoot a drone.

This is the precedent thus far.
    http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2014/05/30/317074394/drone-wars-who-owns-the-air

That being said:
    So legal grey area here.

#41 RedRedemption, Jul 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

1. The pictures are not PRE BLURRED - they have UNBLURRED pictures somewhere in there systems. Not unlike this guy and his Drone
    2. So its ok to take unauthorized pictures as long as they not 'close up'?

Define 'Close' . . . 200 feet is not close for some people

Rocket River

3. PhiSlammaJamma

Did the drone have a hoodie?

What happens if I shoot down a drone being delivered by a drone?

If drones could scream, would we be so cavalier about shooting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

1. Streetview vans don't look past privacy barriers, so I think you can take them out of the equation. There is an expectation of privacy in your backyard, but none in the front yard.

2. Satellite images are taken so high that (a) it can't get under obstacles to its view, like trees or canopies, like a drone can; and (b) the images aren't going to give you enough resolution at that range to satisfy your salacious vices.

3. Satellites go through government licensing and are subject to government regulation, while drone hobbyists aren't. The licensing essentially gives official permission to take pictures of whatever you can from out there.

4. While I think it's ridiculous to say a landowner has no rights to his airspace, it's equally ridiculous to say his airspace stretches up from his land in a prism out into space for infinity. There has to be some ceiling.

5. Remii

Remii Member

He's surgical with his shotgun if he was able to shoot a drone down that was 200 feet in the air with #8's :rolleyes:

Anyway, good for him.

6. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

I believe it falls within the scope of other lawyerings.

7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

Because the owner of the quadcopter disputes his story? Right.

8. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

No, otherwise he would have had to use buckshot the size of Skittles.

Could God create a drone that flies so high he himself could not shoot it out of the sky with a shotgun?

If I'm ever approached by a drone, I'll shoot a power washer at it and hope they realize how stupid the whole idea of drones is. And when they are thinking about it, I'll shoot them with a shotgun.

9. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

This is the best strategery. When the police ask about the drone just say you were washing your house and it was an accident. When the police ask about the dead body just say IT'S COMING RIGHT FOR US.

10. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Member

I mean unless that flight data has been tampered with...

http://www.wdrb.com/story/29670583/...ry-produces-video-he-claims-shows-flight-path

Arrest video:
    http://www.wdrb.com/story/29672600/raw-arrest-video-of-bullitt-county-man-who-shot-down-drone

#50 RedRedemption, Jul 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

1. ok
    2. So once Satelites do become that 'good' then worry about it then
    3. Since the government gave them the right to invade your privacy then it would be cool
    4. meh . . .

I bristle at the fact that we bend over backwards to allow corporations to do things that we would not allow a regular citizen to do.
    The main reaosn is . .. well they profitting from it.
    Capitalism > everything else

Rocket River

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

BTW - Is it ok to shoot Remote controlled cars as well . . .. boats . .. . . .etc

Rocket River

13. body slam

body slam Member

How old are the drone owners?

14. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

I used to be in that hobby with nitro cars and an electric plane. My friend had a nitro powered helicopter it was an absolute beast. We got chased out of public PARKS with it. These guys have the expectation they can fly over people's homes.

15. Bäumer

Bäumer Member

There are two sides to every story and we only have his at the moment. Of course his story is going to make him sound good. I don't understand why this is national news anyway. I don't really care that he shot it down anyway, just my opinion on the matter.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

So, if the owner was lying than he should be charged to the full extent of the law.

DD

17. hooroo

hooroo Member

This guy seems like one of those types who would shoot a pet dog walking next to a child because it had one paw off the sidewalk and on his lawn then claim it was on his property. Unfortunately, there are laws protecting these kind of clowns in certain areas and they're mostly he said, she said situations in court.

18. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I was referring to the firing of guns into the air on the 4th of July and New Years. Commonly this is done with handguns and people have been seriously injured and killed by falling bullets. Linkage.

19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Good to bring attention to something that needs to have some rules set. Cowboy way of handling this is going to cause lot of unnecessary problems.

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

I propose an easy rule of thumb: drones shouldn't be in your airspace without permission. If you can hit a drone over your property with birdshot, it's too low.

If it makes you feel any better, rooftop solar companies would love to be able to use drones to measure rooftops so they can design their solar installations with fewer worker injuries -- but they can't because the government won't let them. There are probably a million other commercial uses they can't be put to yet either.

You can look at it like politicians are in the pockets of the corporations. A less jaded way to look at it is that these companies are creating value for people. Google satellite has been great for us. And Google does it as a good actor, getting all the right permissions and trying to avoid doing things that will piss people off. So, if they're going to create value for our society and in a responsible way, shouldn't we let them do it? Even if they take a profit.