1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Houston Rockets Salary Cap Update: 2015 Off-Season Edition

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Jul 30, 2015.

1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Thx BimaThug

3. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Ditto ^^ what he said. Off to learn new things!

4. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

Awesome! Greatly appreciated, Bima.

5. xaos

xaos Member

Thanks Bima, for helping me sound smarter than I really am when I am talking with my friends about the Rockets' cap situation.

6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

nb4thelock! :grin:

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I say make Harrell take the one year unguaranteed deal and go play in the D League. Odds are that won't earn him a massive offer from anyone - even with the crazy spending teams are expected to do.

Oh, and, thanks Bima. Good stuff.

8. Fawkward

Fawkward Member

Thanks Bima!

9. Mattician

Mattician Member

Thanks, Bima!

10. finsraider

finsraider Member

My off the whale theory on Montrezl....

We trade his rights for a recently signed 2nd round pick, thus avoiding the apron. We have the Shved TPE to do it.

1 person likes this.
  11. finsraider

finsraider Member

haha........I meant "off the WALL"

12. jjc1

jjc1 Member

Thanks Bima! Morey is not going to get the team hard capped as he values cap flexibility so much. I also agree Morey will trade TJones if he can get a 1st round pick in return.

13. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Greatly appreciated, Bima. The current team seems to be very good, and still has a room to be improved, Durant?

14. micah1j

micah1j Member

question: if Rockets get hard capped by using MLE on Harrell what does it take to get un hard capped? Do you remain hard capped regardless even if you dump salary in a trade?

15. finsraider

finsraider Member

Yes. You remain hard capped through 6/30/2016 if you use the bi-annual exception or non-taxpayer mid-level exception, or receive a signed and traded player.

At this point, we don't have the bi-annual (Josh Smith last year), have only used enough of the mid-level for it to be classified as the "taxpayer MLE", and are very unlikely to receive a signed and traded player.

16. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Thx Bima.... interesting point on Terry being renounced. I don't remember anyone else mentioning that (not that it didn't happen, I might have just missed it).

17. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i agree that morey values cap flexibility and will not use the MLE on harrell (probably the hold up on signing is harrell's agent is definitely negotiating for such a contract).

i disagree that he would trade jones for a pick. jones' expiring contract may be needed for salary matching purposes in a trade for a PF. jones/KJ/dmo can be traded for a contract just over $12M using the 125% rule for taxpayers.

we could pick up faried, thad young, or maybe even horford if he refuses to sign an extension with ATL and we throw a couple of picks their way. any one of those moves puts us over the top.

1 person likes this.
  18. Fawkward

Fawkward Member

Montrezl was projected to be a late teens to early 20s first round pick. Not sure how many recently signed second rounders can give us similar value. Don't see this scenario happening at all.

19. basketballholic

Good stuff. One small addition:

These TPE's can be used to take in an extra $100,000 of salary above the actual exception. So, we could actually trade for a player making as much as $1,719,096 million (Shved) and $916,482 (Daniels and Canaan).

It may seem like a small thing right now but these TPE's could be used over the next few days/weeks to flip a player or simply to add salary to merge into a bigger salary trade 60 days from now.

20. finsraider

finsraider Member

Not that simple. Teams will have a ton of cap space to make runs at players just like Montrezl next offseason. If you force him to take the QO, then I could easily see a team swooping in to steal him from us.