1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feb 2016 Trade Deadline) If Bosh were available AND healthy, would you trade for him?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by steddinotayto, Jul 22, 2015.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Just to change it up a bit here lets say this scenario plays out:

1. Around February 2016 the Rockets are currently 4th or 5th place in the West with EVERYONE healthy...and by healthy I mean even our overseas prospects are healthy. TJones and DMo are putting up solid numbers ("solid" is subjective here). Lawson/Bev combo is working as we imagined it. Harden and Howard are....Harden and Howard. Dekker even get some garbage time. Problem is so is San Antonio, OKC, and GS. The other teams....they don't matter.

2. Miami don't have Wade for most of the season (as usual), Dragic is dragging ass because his 60" Dynex has dead pixel issues everywhere, Luol Deng and McBob are out for the season, and Hassan Whiteside goes back to being a scrub. Meanwhile Bosh is back, healthy, and is putting up a respectable 20/7 (his avg before season ended last year). Time for Riley to tank and our favorite Velociraptor is on the block.

Would you trade TJones/Brewer/Dekker/Bev for Bosh just for that playoff push?

Lawson/Terry
    Harden/Thornton
    Ariza/KJMcD
    Bosh/DMo/Harrell
    Howard/Capela

Would you sacrifice depth for 4 years/~$100 million for a Chris Bosh that's putting up 20/7 and, say, 36% from 3 pt land?

2. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

HELL NO

I don't get what is with the infatuation with Chris Bosh here

3. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

so the heat are giving up their best player and giving up on the year to take our role players? hmmmmm

he's really good

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Probably.

Depending on what Bosh looks like during the year.

Can't see a scenario where Miami puts Bosh on the market. Melo is probably the next guy to become available.

5. steddinotayto

Their inclusion in this is merely for salary purposes. You can replace Tjones with DMo if you want. Ariza for Brewer.

I just want to see what my fellow Rockets fans would think.

6. steddinotayto

If they're imploding by January I can see Riley doing a fire sale. Of course he'll have to find buyers for all that crap he has not named Dragic or Bosh but I think Riley would do it.

7. AFS

AFS Member

Assuming Bosh was healthy, I'd make that trade in a heartbeat. Bosh is a legit star player and still has a lot left in the tank. That lineup is ridiculously stacked.

8. clos4life

clos4life Member

I would do it in a split second. Maybe faster.

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

If we didn't have to gut the team for him, yes. Bosh would be excellent next to Howard.

10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Trading 2 guys that took a discount to come back to the rockets. That's cold.

That being said, it depends where we stand. If we are top 2 in the west at that point, I would just roll with with what we got.

11. steddinotayto

Who took a discount? Brewer and Bev? I put a lot of doubt into whoever said they were going to get more than what they signed for..unless it was Woj of course :grin:

Morey's traded Ariza away only to bring him back, he's traded Aaron Brooks after signing him I don't know how many times.

12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Hell yes? But as others have pointed out, Miami is all in right now. Their team actually looks pretty damn good for a east team, if healthy will be a top 2-4 team next year.

Dragic / Chalmers / Napier
    Wade / Green / Richardson
    Deng / Winslow
    Bosh / McRoberts / Amare
    Whiteside / Andersen

Really fun team, hope they can stay healthy.

13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I wouldn't, for the following:

1. Because he makes so much, you have to give up too much in return. There is no scenario where you trade for Bosh where you don't give up depth. If Rockets fans don't think depth is important, they didn't watch this past season, where despite injury after injury, depth got them a top 2 seed and was integral, in the games they won, in getting to the WCF. The Rockets depth problems last year were consistency (and health), in the playoffs. You give up depth for Bosh... which would be ok, except...

2. You are pretty much losing a bunch of "backcourt" players. Maybe bench backcourt players, but important ones nonetheless. We'll have to wait and see a bit, but my view is that the benefit of having that backcourt talent and depth around Harden outweighs the benefit of having Bosh and Dwight as the 4/5. Bosh and Dwight are great. And Bosh certainly is a solid PnR defender for a PF. But I'd rather have a better backcourt, with TJones and DMo at the 4. We'll see if that proves out by February. In your hypothetical, the Rockets are 5th, so maybe it's not working out as solid as it should....

3. Even if "healthy", what does that mean? That you can guarantee he doesn't get injured again. Bosh will be turning 32 right after you trade for him. He's played a lot over the last 5 years. I think Bosh is they type of player at this point that has "mailed it in" a bit. Not obviously so, or even that he knows it. But he had the opportunity to pursue the chip and chose otherwise. Is that the type of 32 year old you want....?

4. Plus, that contract. Even with a rising cap.

It's close, principally because in your scenario it seems as if all things might not be clicking on a championship level for the Rockets, but I say no.

14. steddinotayto

Great points and pretty much what I was looking for from the "no" perspective:

Losing Bev in my scenario hurts more than losing Jones (who would be replaced by Bosh), Brewer (KJ can fill in I'm sure), and Dekker (wild card).

Like before I would miss Bev and his defense the most out of the package I threw out there. That being said, the potential of Bosh and Howard together, IMO, is just too awesome to pass up. That duo can/should neutralize Aldridge/Duncan and Bogut/Green in a 7 game series. Then you got DMo and Capela as your backup too?

Lets say he's healthy for just next year. I think you and me agree that he's the type of guy that can push us past the other top teams (on paper). I thought Bosh would have mailed it in last year after getting that contract but he played damn well until his blood clot. I think, despite being a 3rd banana during the LeBron era, Bosh still has competitive juice in him and have something to prove.

This is what would make me hesitate because it kills literally any kind of move we could make in the next 3-4 years because of his salary.

But that's the ultimate question, I guess: Would you take Bosh, salary and all, if he could get you through and into the Finals?

15. Mprice

Mprice Member

Denver did it :grin:

16. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

U can think about such trade in ur dream everynight if u like.
    But u didn't nned to start a threat to discuss it.
    I don't understand why u choose Bosh to discuss, u can discuss so-so topics like Dirk or Melo or Harford or Cousin, etc.
    Don't understand why clutchfans r becoming low iq

17. photojoe

photojoe Member

I don't think Miami is going to be anywhere near bad enough to consider blowing everything up. They look like they actually have a decent roster. Even if Wade or Bosh (or both?) miss a lot of time, they should still be competitive enough in the LEastern Conference.

But..for discussion.. even if they were bad enough next year to blow everything up and rebuild, I don't think they would take an offer like that. Bosh is a great player. If Miami was going to go into rebuilding mode, they would either want very high draft picks or promising young players, or both. We still have some draft picks, but I don't think any of them are going to be high level lottery picks. And the players that are included are all good role players, but are more or less established as who they are (except Dekker). Bev would play behind Dragic. Brewer behind Deng. Jones, I guess, would start? Where would that trade get Miami? Unless Dekker looks like a star in the making, all that trade would do is make them worse and not really get them any closer to rebuilding?

18. photojoe

photojoe Member

Melo? No thank you.

Dirk? Too old.

Harford? I don't know who Harford is. But I sure wish there was some way for us to get Horford

19. steddinotayto

Thanks for your insightful post. I'll remember to send my threat topics to you for review before posting.

20. steddinotayto

*thread....or did I have it right the first time?