1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Chuck Hayes close to signing with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Cashmoney, Jul 21, 2015.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

This (should) help the development of the young bigs in many ways, actually.

Best I recall CH' FTs were improving, and better than JD's and others.

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Morey should make McHale watch a ton of Hayes videos. Hayes can be a very useful player with a coach who knows how to use him.

At the least, Chuck can teach the young bigs a few tricks on post defense. I think DMo will benefit the most from Chuck's tutelage.

3. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

If you are gonna respond to my post, at least read it first.

Chuck Hayes is VERY UNlikely to get any rotation minutes that actually mean anything
    Teams do not hack a whoever during garbage time, which I feel very sure that he will be playing most of his minutes.
    The only thing that will push Chuck into meaningful rotation minutes are injuries.

Young talent....Im just gonna go ahead and assume you mean Williams....the current Summer League stud flavour of the offseason.
    This happens every year....some folks go nuts over a summer league stud who ends up doing NOTHING in the regular season. Never fails.

read this well said post by mkahanek and see if you can understand what the salient point is here.

4. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Didn't Nick Johnson play awesome in the Summer League last year? He couldn't even get past JT. Experience is your best teacher. R2K is right. And, this is a good signing if it gets done.

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

People that are saying we are sleeping on Hayes forget that all the greatness we saw from Hayes was 5 whole years ago.

I remember as well as anybody else Hayes being one of the better post defenders in the league, defending Amare, Griffin, KG very well at times.

Thing is though Hayes conditioning played a huge part in that, he was a prime 27-28 year old man who had been training his ass of hard to get in shape. He started the whole season out of necessity, he was in a serious groove, his condition was at the highest level in his entire career and he played under Rick who knew how to utilize him very well.

Since he left all of that fell apart, he lost his conditioning, his groove, his youth and a coach that could properly utilize him. And unless there's a huge injury here where he's forced to play 25+ minutes again, he's not going to even get the chance to try to get any of that back.

I love Hayes, I loved the season when he started for us, he was amazing, but that was a different time. You can't expect things like putting Hayes in for 35+ minutes against the Warriors to defend a young buck like Green, he would indeed get eaten alive at this point in his career due to his poor conditioning alone.

He should do well being a rotational defender for us in short spurs though, he will be a great locker room vet presence and very useful practice coach for our young big's or hell even Howard with a few things.

6. finsraider

finsraider Member

Morey tends to find one quality undrafted free agent per season.

2014 - Tarik Black
    2013 - Troy Daniels
    2012 - Pat Beverley (he was drafted, but was playing overseas in Russia)
    2011 - Greg Smith
    2010 - Ish Smith

It is not unreasonable for people to watch Alan Williams in summer league and believe he could be Morey's guy this year. He's a good post player, great rebounder, and can move the ball a bit. If he can develop into a good low post defender, he's got a real shot of playing in the league.

7. RudyT43

RudyT43 Member

I think the Chuck Wagon part 2: Return of the Chuck would be a perfect sequel to his playing days. Outside of Dwight, our big men could all use some mentoring and the Chuck Wagon will do just that. Yes he may be out of his prime, yes he may be short, but I still
    Think he could contribute in a limited capacity. We made it with a point guard tandem of JET and Prigioni, and I think McHale will find a way to use Chuck effectively if he signs with us.

8. hooroo

hooroo Member

if by awesome you meant couldn't shoot, couldn't dribble, but he could dunk. dunking means everything to too many posters here.

9. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

This is what i mean.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=256946&highlight=Nick+johnson

Oh clutchfans

10. pass_to_Hakeem

I totally DISAGREE!! Ha may not be the Chuck Hayes who played with the Rockets 5 seasons ago but who is gonna come in and spell Howard? You think DMo or TJones can guard a Marc Gasol or DeAndre Jordan? TJones couldn't even guard Draymond Green!! You think an unproven Harrell will come in and get pt over Hayes?

11. Swish4fives

Swish4fives Member

Clint Capela says hi.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Capela is still a very young skinny soft Euro kid. He is also from Switzerland, the softest of Euro countries.

Chuck is the No Stats All Star.

13. pass_to_Hakeem

Lol he's not gonna guard big 5's. He is the skinniest dude on the team. I good he is hitting the weights hard this summer but summer league didn't look like it

14. pass_to_Hakeem

15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

switzerland does not use the euro. and even if they did, there can be no softer euro country than france

16. Swish4fives

Swish4fives Member

Maybe you should watch Clippers Rockets 2nd round series again. Capela had a couple stretches where he was not only matched up with Deandre but outplayed him as well.

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Lol! Clint Capela soft.

18. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Clint Capela will be going up against back ups, not the Marc Gasols and DeAndre Jordans of the world.

He proved his worth in the playoffs and has earned the right to be the backup to Howard.

19. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

so when are these guys getting signed?

20. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

You're a Dick that doesn't know basketball but recorded some rockets games and got blessed status. Back off the attitude or quit moderating. Your job on this board is not important.